Hitron bridge mode with second IP

tempest
Grasshopper

Does the Hitron CGNM-2250 support a second IP while configured in bridge mode?

Shaw response in this thread seems to indicate that addition of a secondary free IP is still offered, but are there hardware limitations? I tried contacting Customer Care a few times but the only information they seemed to have was adding a second IP when the modem is in "passthrough" mode, where the device is still doing routing, NAT, etc - and the second IP is allocated to the passthrough port. Only one device is able to get a DHCP lease when the modem is in bridge mode, even after Customer Cared added second IP.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

See Shaw's article on Bridge Mode. In that mode, the "pub...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

See Shaw's article on Bridge Mode.

In that mode, the "public" IP-address assigned to you by Shaw goes through the Hitron, to be used by your third-party router.

So, your own device can only use ONE IP-address.

See Shaw's article on: IP Pass-Through for your Hitron.

This setup allows one of your devices to have a "public" IP-address, and your third-party router to also have the second "public" IP-address.

Your device will not be able to interact with any of your devices that are "behind" your own router.

0 Kudos

yes, the Hitron will support 2 IPs while in bridged mode....

shaw-tony

@tempest yes, the Hitron will support 2 IPs while in bridged mode. You can essentially attach 2 routers to the modem for them to have separate IPs. 

Can you clarify? I'd like to be able to do the following...

gfinockio
Grasshopper

Can you clarify? I'd like to be able to do the following with my Hitron:

Connect a PC to Port 1, and have it assigned an IP address.

Connect a 3rd party router to Port 2 (or 3 or 4), and have it assigned a different IP address.

Right now I have two IP addresses, using one through IP pass-through and one through the Hitron modem (using it's firmware, etc.). 

Thanks!

0 Kudos

>>> You can essentially attach 2 routers to the modem for...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>>> You can essentially attach 2 routers to the modem for them to have separate IPs. 

>  Connect a PC to Port 1, and have it assigned an IP address.

> Connect a 3rd party router to Port 2 (or 3 or 4), and have it assigned a different IP address.

@shaw-tony indicates that a router can be attached to "port 1". Your computer can be attached to "port 1", because both a router and your computer are DHCP-clients that request an IP-address from Shaw's DHCP-server.

> Right now I have two IP addresses, using one through IP pass-through and one through the Hitron modem (using its firmware ...

Right now, what IP-addresses are assigned to each of your two devices? Are they "public" or "private" (192.168.xx.yy or 10.0.0.zzz) ? 

For your "privacy", post only the first 3/4 of a "public" IP-address, e.g., "24.68.1.xxx", that is assigned to your computer(s).

that setup can work. Your PC will automatically grab one...

shaw-tony

@gfinockio that setup can work. Your PC will automatically grab one IP. Just set up the IP Passthrough settings for your router so it grabs the second IP. 

0 Kudos

I read in another one of your comments (https://support.s...

gfinockio
Grasshopper

I read in another one of your comments (https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/ip-passthrough-or-bridge-mode/m-p/2545) where you suggest that, if the Shaw router is put into bridge mode, the first two ethernet ports would be serving one IP address each, and the remaining two would be disabled as would the routing abilities of the Shaw modem. Is that correct? Would this allow the Shaw modem to be in bridge mode but serve two public IP addresses for use?

0 Kudos

>  if the Shaw router is put into bridge mode, the first...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

>  if the Shaw router is put into bridge mode, the first two ethernet ports would be serving one IP address each, and the remaining two would be disabled as would the routing abilities of the Shaw modem. Is that correct?

Yes.

> Would this allow the Shaw modem to be in bridge mode but serve two public IP addresses for use?

Yes. In that configuration, the modem just "bridges" from the protocol on Shaw's coaxial-cable "last-mile" network to the protocol on an Ethernet network, like physical bridges that connect the two  halves of Budapest, or European Istanbul to Asian Istanbul, or North Vancouver to Stanley Park, or Windsor to Detroit, or Copenhagen (DK) to Malmoe (SE).

TALK TO US
We're here to help