How can i Improve Wifi Coverage in 3 story home?

Not applicable

Looking for advice on improving WiFi signal in my 3 story home.  Currently it is not good, no wifi in garage etc.  My Shaw Hitron Modem (soon the XB6) is in the basement where my feed is.  I have wired Cat 5 connections on the main floor.  Can i shut off the wireless on my Shaw Modem, purchase a new router, connect that to cat 5 and place on main floor.  If so do i need a switch?  Will the signal be stronger with this set up?  Thanks for any help.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: How can i Improve Wifi Coverage in 3 story home?

shaw-tony

.Hey saved2018,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry for the delay in response and poor WiFi experience you've been having. The forums aren't monitored as closely as our other support channels. You can certainly bridge your XB6 with the steps here and connect to the Cat5 cable to hook up to a 3rd party router. A switch is not required.

WiFi is subject to WiFi interference, I have more details here. It is recommended to have the modem or 3rd party router in the most central part of your home for the best connectivity. Alternatively, updating the WiFi channel settings can improve that. I have some steps here that can help improve your experience.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Does Shaw not put the modem in the ideal spot? I'm having...

Danielbessette
Grasshopper

Does Shaw not put the modem in the ideal spot? I'm having the same issue however I never was told by the installer when we signed up that the local he chose wasn't optimal.

0 Kudos

@not applicable Starting with the XB6 is a good start. Ch...

rickatk
Master

@Not applicable

Starting with the XB6 is a good start. Check your location. Best to place in the center of your house. Download WiFi SweetSpots and do a walk about. Identify weak spots then consider pods. You can rent them from Shaw and work out a deal. Alternatively you can put the XB6 into “bridge mode” and add your own wifi router system. Lately I have been running an all Shaw system with good results.

0 Kudos

-- Starting with the XB6 is a good start.  Strongly agree...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- Starting with the XB6 is a good start. 

Strongly agree. Even better would be upgrading to "Shaw Gig" speed, and be insistent to get the latest XB7 cable-modem. The promise is a stronger signal-strength on each level.

TALK TO US
We're here to help