how to seperate 2.4GHz and 5GHz so that I can connect smart plug that requires a 2.4GHz connection

napper1
Grasshopper

Labels (1)
42 Replies

using the BlueCurve Home App, you can separate the networ...

shaw-tony

@napper1 using the BlueCurve Home App, you can separate the networks with the steps here. Let me know how it goes! Generally, in stock settings, you should still see the 2.4G network.

0 Kudos

It doesn't give me this option, is it because I have pods...

aburton2112
Grasshopper

It doesn't give me this option, is it because I have pods installed?

ah yes, if you have the pods, you won't be able to split...

shaw-tony

@aburton2112 ah yes, if you have the pods, you won't be able to split the network as it acts as a mesh system.

So if we have the pods we can't have smart plugs at all?...

Lawrence1970
Grasshopper

So if we have the pods we can't have smart plugs at all?

That really sucks since I've yet to find a smart plug that works on 5GHz. They all work on 2.4GHz.

-- So if we have the pods we can't have smart plugs at al...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Lawrence1970 -- So if we have the pods we can't have smart plugs at all?

If you purchase a third-party WiFi-capable router, can you create another WiFi network, and connect those plugs to that network, instead of connecting to the router's WiFi network?

Internet -> Shaw router -> WiFi #1 -> Shaw pods & your WiFi-supporting smart-phones and notebook computer.

Your router --> WiFi #2 --> your pods

Does your router need an Internet connection, say if you wanted to remotely want to control a plug, or will it be sufficient for you to connect your smart-phone to this secondary network, to control the plugs, while you are at home?

My smart plugs worked with my pods. Just get an inexpensi...

rstra
Grand Master

My smart plugs worked with my pods. Just get an inexpensive range extender and set it to 2.4 for your plugs. 

0 Kudos

No need to separate the bands even if your smart plugs ca...

rickatk
Master

No need to separate the bands even if your smart plugs call for 2.4Ghz. Let the router and pods do all the figuring. I have an array of pods, plugs, lights and speakers, some requiring 2.4Ghz to configure. The machine learning (AI) will figure it all out. These systems are designed to be consumer friendly, vis a vis simple. Get your Gateway set up in dual band, that is don’t separate the bands, add pods if you have them, join your smart home hardware and let BlueCurve do the rest. Enjoy.

0 Kudos

I am dumb like a rock when it comes to these things.  Can...

Daharpa
Grasshopper

I am dumb like a rock when it comes to these things.  Can you please explain wifi router and how I set it up with my Gateway and pods?  Oddly enough my smart plugs that were connected before we "upgraded" to Blue Curve still work but I can't connect any new ones! Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos

You are correct.  You can only separate the networks if y...

krispucci
Grasshopper

You are correct.  You can only separate the networks if you DO NOT have the expander pods. 

Yes, some 2.4GHz devices will work, but some will not (I.e. Geeni smart bulbs) unless you do this.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help