Shaw blue curve with wifi bulbs

Woody2017
Grasshopper

I just spent 3 hours on chat with Shaw separating my wifi signals (amalgamated with pods). My new wifi bulbs (globe brand) will not work at all even though I have a separated wifi (2.4/5g). All 6 of my bulbs that were set up before I had pods still work flawlessly, even if I put them into pairing mode and set them up like new. All of my recently purchased bulbs have to be returned as no matter what I try they won’t be recognized on 2.4. So very frustrating, getting pods and bluecurve was the worst decision I ever made. Will be switching back to Telus litespeed once my Shaw promo is over. 

0 Kudos

Good luck with that....

Woody2017
Grasshopper

Good luck with that....

0 Kudos

I'm back, after my adventure with Total TV & Bluecurve ga...

Lightrain
Grasshopper

I'm back, after my adventure with Total TV & Bluecurve gateway router. 

I noticed, eventually after getting Total TV set up that both my canon printer (seldom used), and my Skybell view door camera (again seldom used) failed after switching. 

Apparently the Skybell camera requires a 2.4 GHz connection, but separate SSID and PW from 5GHz connection. I set up a separate SSID, oh btw it has to use a b/g/n router or a b/g router but NOT an n only router. Bluecurve has n and g/n. Even long after my Hitron 2250 was sent to router heaven I can see the Skybell broadcasting on my cellphone. When I connect I see my old ip (192.168.1.2) from Hitron days. I really regret taking the Bluecurve router, you can't even create a guest network. And the Bluecurve admin area looks like something made in the 80's. There is no user guide, only specs. In other words it's a POS.

Anyway, are Hitron routers still available? I'd switch back in a heartbeat -- the Bluecurve router is NOT required for Total TV, it's just setting you up for the real bluecurve coming in the future when they EOL my Arris gateway. PS I do not think workarounds using additional equipment and extra modifications are a substitute for this inferior router. 

Thanks for listening.

<rant off>

Norm

0 Kudos

-- When I connect I see my old ip (192.168.1.2) from Hitr...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Lightrain -- When I connect I see my old ip (192.168.1.2) from Hitron days.

Weird. The BlueCurve cable-modem should be giving you "10.0.0.xxx" IP-addresses, unless somebody has reconfigured it to use "192.168.xx.yy" IP-addresses?

Can you PING "192.168.1.1" -- the "gateway" IP-address that the Hitron used? Does it respond?

0 Kudos

When I ping 192.168.1.1 it times out. I downloaded Wirele...

Lightrain
Grasshopper

When I ping 192.168.1.1 it times out.

I downloaded Wireless Network Watcher from Nirsoft and it showed my cellphone and laptop, but unlike the shaw geteway router it added .hitronhub.home to the both entries.

Neither method of viewing access points shows by doorbell camera, yet my cellphone sees it and I can connect to it and it shows a 192.168.1.3 connection address.

This is a real nightmare. I never had any trouble for years with Hitron, now its ghost is haunting me.

0 Kudos

I tried separating the two networks, but a Shaw message c...

johnren
Grasshopper

I tried separating the two networks, but a Shaw message comes up and basically says it's not a good idea and that overall performance may suffer. There is a lot of these 2Ghz devices our there...come on  Shaw...I need a solution that you support. .

It is totally okay to separate the names of the wifi (dis...

shaw-ada

@johnren It is totally okay to separate the names of the wifi (disable band steering) so that you can set up your bulbs or other devices that can only connect to 2.4Ghz. If you have pods, make sure you enable the band steering back. Pods won't work at their optimal if the band steering is off. 

0 Kudos

-- Pods won't work at their optimal if the band steering...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@shaw-ada -- Pods won't work at their optimal if the band steering is off. 

That is an interesting statement.

Yes, if a brand-new Pod is allowed to connect, it should choose whichever band (2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz) that is "optimal" at the time that it connects. But, what is "optimal" at that point in time may not be optimal "forever" (for example, if the customer moves the Shaw cable-modem).

I get the impression that once the Pod connects, it will always connect to the same network, as long as it receives electrical power.  So, if the customer temporarily disables the 5 Ghz network, then any device (door-bell or Pod) will connect to the only-available network -- the 2.4 Ghz network. Then, enabling the 5 Ghz network may not affect the door-bell's connection.

0 Kudos

Thanks for pointing that out! Pods will sort out the best...

shaw-ada

@mdk Thanks for pointing that out! Pods will sort out the best connection at any given time for devices (esp the dual-band devices). If the band steering is OFF (with 2 separate names for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz), it somehow defeats the purpose of having the pod (or pods). In addition, this would be an ideal way to connect 2.4Ghz only devices without disabling band steering.

0 Kudos

How can I disable myb old password which I have forgotten...

Crbibbys
Grasshopper

How can I disable myb old password which I have forgotten and put a new one in afterwards?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help