-- the packet loss is so bad that's impossible.  Is the "...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bdobson -- the packet loss is so bad that's impossible. 

Is the "Diablo server" in Vancouver or Calgary or Winnipeg, or somewhere in the USA?

Is the Diablo "client" on your computer reporting the "packet loss" ? Do you have "packet loss" when connecting to Canada-based web-sites, such as www.cbc.ca / www.ctv.ca / www.globalTV.com  / www.CityTV.com ?

Without seeing the output from a "trace-route" command from your computer to the Diablo server, it is impossible for anybody to know where the packet loss is occurring, but I'll bet that the packet loss is somewhere on the Internet inside the USA. Shaw/Rogers/Bell/Telus cannot do anything about packet loss inside the USA.  Under Microsoft Windows, use the "tracert" command. Under Apple IOS, use a similar command.

Shaw has told you that your connection from the cable-modem to the Shaw Central Office in your city/town is 100% OK. So, any "packet loss" is further away from your home.

Compare your "packet loss" to trying to drive to Tofino -- the ferry from Vancouver to Nanaimo is fully operational, and the highway from Nanaimo to Parksville is fully operational, but Highway 4 is "impaired", to say the least, before you get to Port Alberni ...

CONSTRUCTION Highway 4 Both Directions - Highway 4, in both directions. Road maintenance work between Cathedral Grove/MacMillan Provincial Park and Koen Rd for 7.0 km (Cathedral Grove). Single lane alternating traffic. Watch for traffic control. Expect delays. Highway open to all vehicles, except for oversized vehicles/loads over 2.6m in width. Over-sized vehicles to use detour. https://news.Gov.Bc.Ca/releases/2023MOTI0087-001015. Next update time Mon Jul 10 at 12:00 PM PDT. Last updated Fri Jul 7 at 3:10 PM PDT. (DBC-52953) 

0 Kudos

I am in Prince George, and am not encountering any Intern...

Lotusland
Grasshopper

I am in Prince George, and am not encountering any Internet issues with Shaw. Could be node specific, as there might be multiple nodes in different areas of a municipality such as in North Vancouver, Prince George, etc etc.

-- note that  was reporting packet loss to the Diablo ser...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Lotusland -- note that @bdobson was reporting packet loss to the Diablo servers. It was not said that there was packet loss to other sites (Google, YouTube, Meta, CBC, etc.), i.e., a specific path, not "system-wide" problems with their service.

If the Diablo server is in the southwest of USA (Los Angeles? Las Vegas?) then the Shaw connection from your location through Vancouver and Seattle to LA/LV  should be the same at their connection, for the part of the path between Vancouver towards LA/LV, while their path from their computer to Vancouver might be different.

So, which segment of the Internet is responsible for the packet loss?  Without comparing the "traceroute" outputs for both of you, it's impossible to trouble-shoot.   

0 Kudos

Sigh, I had a feeling I should have been more specific, i...

bdobson
Grasshopper

Sigh, I had a feeling I should have been more specific, it was NOT just Diablo 4 so let's move past that. I understand how this works and it was an issue with ALL online gaming, Diablo, World of Warcraft, etc... It was ALSO a problem with my PVR cutting out, it was also a problem with browsing the website. 

Regardless of the problem, everything just went away on it's own so I'm going to continue to believe it was a problem with Shaw itself. This is the second time this year this has happened to me and like the last time, it just went away for all sources on its own so I'm completely unwilling to believe it's me or a singular source.

So a thumbs up I guess and I look forward to when this happened again. Something which just fixes itself will break itself again.

0 Kudos

"You should contact Shaw Support (1-888-472-2222) to get...

bdobson
Grasshopper

"You should contact Shaw Support (1-888-472-2222) to get professional assistance."

I completely disagree with this. All there going to do is follow the same flow chart of steps you can find on their website with the limited ability to check signal strength. If you've followed the website at all you've already done 99.9% of what they can do. This is not their fault, but Shaw does NOT hire technical people for support, just people who can read a flow chart. 

No, the problem is not limited to North Vancouver. My Sh...

Hoping
Grasshopper

No, the problem is not limited to North Vancouver.  My Shaw wired connection situation is in VICTORIA, BC.  
My Shaw wired connection situation is otherwise the SAME as that of the original writer:   
of 2023-06-15 03:52 PM  [Internet Constantly Disconnecting.  appleMacTech Grasshopper ] .  

This constantly disconnecting ethernet connection (the wi-fi is at least as bad) has been Shaw's norm for me for MANY YEARS. 

Finally receiving a new modem a month or two ago from presumably an exception in Shaw's Tech department did not improve the situation!   

Before that, my spending a few hours on the phone with Shaw's Tech department walking me through checks on this and that part of Shaw's equipment -- not only did not improve anything, but -- made me lose all of my Shaw communications services:  home phone, tv, wired internet, and wi-fi internet.  

Afterward, that tech person just told me to call the department where you need to upgrade your package and pay even more. 

(Why would any person, and especially a hungry, health lacking, therefore income lacking person, consider paying a corporation for even MORE service after many years of the corporation proving daily that it will not deliver on less, on the smaller service?) 

The many calls to Shaw over the years before that had not improved things. 

The Shaw ethernet connection problem is not my ethernet cord either.  I had it checked by a professional a few months ago, 
and the cord is in perfect shape.  It is treated like a baby.  

The problem is with Shaw and with its dysfunctional system that is content to keep charging people --
even the
lowest income
people with disabilities or the lowest income seniors -- regardless that, for many years, these people
are not receiving the service that they are in effect forced to keep paying for.  That seems a lack of integrity to me.  

I wanted to like Shaw.  I would still like to.  Most of the workers have seemed sincere.  Shaw evidently does not provide them with the tools that they need to fix even the most intransigent problems that Shaw imposes on their victimized customers.  I keep trying to find reasons or at least 
excuses for Shaw's system.  There seem to be no reasonable ones, especially since the corporation continues month after month to charge these human beings.  

Now, with the federal government's irresponsible decision to permit the merger with Rogers, Shaw has even less incentive
to pull itself together on behalf of its customers, and at very least the customers who have suffered the worst service, and
at least the worst off customers among them (those with the least economic / health options related to affording to change
service providers). 

The corporation has the temerity to just keep charging without delivering on the contracts.  
Hugely influences the quality of daily life for years for people in this boat.  
Disgraceful treatment.  Disgraceful service delivery.  Dismaying.  

0 Kudos

No, the problem is not limited to North Vancouver! My Sha...

Hoping
Grasshopper

No, the problem is not limited to North Vancouver!
My Shaw wired connection situation is in VICTORIA, BC.  

My Shaw wired connection situation is otherwise the SAME as that of the original writer:   
of 2023-06-15 03:52 PM  [Internet Constantly Disconnecting.  appleMacTech Grasshopper ] .  

This constantly disconnecting ethernet connection (the wi-fi is at least as bad) has been Shaw's norm for me for MANY YEARS. 

What I mean by constantly disconnecting ethernet:  Seemingly most minutes of most hours.

Finally receiving a new modem a month or two ago from presumably an exception in Shaw's Tech department did not improve the situation!   

Before that, my spending a few hours on the phone with Shaw's Tech department walking me through checks on this and that part of Shaw's equipment -- not only did not improve anything, but -- made me lose all of my Shaw communications services:  home phone, tv, wired internet, and wi-fi internet, instantly, permanently. 

Afterward, that tech person just told me to call the department where you need to upgrade your package and pay even more. 

(Why would any person, and especially a hungry, health lacking, therefore income lacking person, consider paying a corporation for even MORE service after many years of the corporation proving daily that it will not deliver on less, on the smaller service?) 

(Left with no Shaw communications services, but an actively billing account, *I* had to figure out, via trial and error over the next week or two, how to fix things on my OWN, and I am the opposite of a techi, to say the least.  And I've still been stuck with Shaw's constantly disconnecting ethernet connection.)

The many time consuming, hope raising, then hope deflating calls to Shaw over the many years before that had not improved things. 

The Shaw ethernet connection problem is not my ethernet cord either.  I had the cord checked by a professional a few months ago, 
and the cord is in perfect shape.  It is treated like a baby.  

The Shaw ethernet connection problem is not the ethernet port either:  Shaw finally replaced the modem only around a month or two ago.  

I've searched online for and tried all the potentially applicable Google searched tips for the complaint.  None have made a difference.  

The constantly disconnecting ethernet problem lies with Shaw and with its dysfunctional system that has the temerity to keep charging people --
even the
lowest income
people with disabilities or the lowest income seniors -- regardless that, for many years, these people
are not receiving the service that they are in effect forced to keep paying for.  That seems a particular lack of integrity to me.  

I wanted to like Shaw. 
I would still like to. 
Most of the workers have seemed sincere. 

Shaw evidently does not provide them with the tools that they need to fix even the most intransigent problems that Shaw imposes on their chronically victimized customers. 

I keep trying to find reasons or at least 
excuses for Shaw's system.  There seem to be no reasonable ones, especially since the corporation continues month after month to charge these human beings.  

Now, with the federal government's irresponsible decision to permit the merger with Rogers, Shaw has even less incentive
to pull itself together on behalf of its customers, and at very least the customers who have suffered the worst service, and
at least the worst off customers among them (those with the least economic / health options related to affording to change
service providers). 

Despite the chronic, daily lack (or breach?!) of service for years, the corporation has the temerity to just keep charging without delivering on customers' service contracts.  That hugely influences the quality of daily life for years for people in this boat.  

Disgraceful treatment.  Disgraceful service delivery.  Dismaying.  

0 Kudos

Sounds like it is time for a service call.

rstra
Grand Master

@Hoping  Sounds like it is time for a service call.

-- nice rant.  :-) To get access to any site on the Inter...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Hoping -- nice rant.  🙂

To get access to any site on the Internet, you need:

1. a computer with a working Ethernet (or WiFi) adapter, which I presume you have
  2. a good Ethernet cable to connect your computer to your cable-modem, which you say you have
  3. a working cable-modem, but Shaw recently replaced yours
  4. a good coaxial-cable between your cable-modem and the wall-socket. Try replacing the cable. Also, be sure that the connectors are more than "finger-tight".
  5. good coaxial-cables in your walls, connecting to Shaw's "demarcation box", usually found on the outside of your home
  6. a properly-functioning coaxial "splitter" inside that (locked) Shaw box, to gather all the coaxial-cables in your walls into one line
  7. a good coaxial-cable from that Shaw box to a Shaw box on the nearest telephone pole, which a Shaw technician can check
  8. tight connections at both ends of that coaxial-cable. A Shaw technician can cut off those connectors, and add new connectors.
  9. no problems with the Shaw infrastructure up-and-down your street

That is a lot of possibilities for something to "go wrong".

Do you have neighbours who also subscribe to Shaw services? Can you ask them if they are having similar problems? (See #9 above, if they are).

If you telephone Shaw, the Agent can remotely logon to your cable-modem, to view various statistics, including "signal strength", that your cable-modem is reporting -- no need for a "site visit" for a technician to similarly look for "poor signal strength", which can impair your services.

I strongly agree with the recommendation posted by @rstra 

0 Kudos

We've had the same issue with the network.  You know when...

MPedro
Grasshopper

We've had the same issue with the network.  You know when you see people throwing their equipment out the window, that's how I feel.  We live in Richmond and it's the same crap.  I don't have any certification, just Google assist as can't get Shaw service, BUT I can get the virtual assistant🙄

Can you tell my frustration, guess not🤐 Rogers you now have Shaw... is this you tell me to head to the competitor? At this rate, I am more than willing to try anything. Would I get compensated for all these disruptions?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help