Internet is getting worst everyday

Akorial
Grasshopper

I have Shaw300, but for the whole day, my download couldn't even go above 10Mps. I cannot do anything for the whole day. It is getting worst each day. The Internet also constantly disconnect. 

Labels (1)
14 Replies

If you are looking for any help you need to add a lot mor...

matt
Grasshopper

If you are looking for any help you need to add a lot more detail. Here are some questions I hope that help you provide that detail:

1. Go to speedtest.shaw.ca and perform a speed test. Post this information.

2. Are you see packet loss?

3. What device(s) are you testing on?

4. How are these device(s) connected? Wired or Wireless?

5. What cable modem do you have?

6. Do you have any other additional networking equipment in your location?

More questions & suggestions: 7. How recently did you upg...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

More questions & suggestions:

7. How recently did you upgrade to "Shaw 300" ? From what level (e.g., "Shaw 15") did you upgrade?

8. Immediately after the upgrade, what speeds were shown by the Shaw Speed Test ? Has the speed gone down since then?

8. Did the upgrade require a different cable-modem/router? If not, power-off the device, by removing its power-cord. Then, reconnect it, and let it restart, and automatically download and install the latest "Shaw 300" configuration files. Rerun the speed-test.

9. For your "wired" connections, take a close look at the printing on the Ethernet cable. Does it list "CAT-5" or "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6"?  Replace any "CAT-5" cable, which is only certified to 100 Mbits/second [not 300!] with a "CAT-5e" cable, which is certified to 1000 Mbits/second.

10. Last Tuesday was the second Tuesday in the month. That is the day that Microsoft releases both security-updates for Windows/Office, and also a major version-upgrade (from the "1903 - March 2019" version of Windows 10 to the "1909" version. Downloading those updates can consume much of your Internet speed, and a considerable percentage of your computer's resources, making your computer seem to be "slow". In Windows, open Windows Update, and click "show update history", to see if those "2019-12" updates have been applied.

0 Kudos

1. This is from today speedtest after everyone left the h...

Akorial
Grasshopper

SS4.PNG

1. This is from today speedtest after everyone left the house except myself, it wasn't as bad as yesterday when it wouldn't go above 10, but this is not much better.

2. I think I feel the packet loss

3. One of the two home PC that is connected through cable.

4. There are 8 device connected to the router at the moment I am typing this, usually there are more with phones, and laptop/tablet connected.

5. I think I am using the CGNM-2250, but I couldn't tell other than picture reference. 

6. I have 1 additional switch between the computer and the router, and that's it. 

just for additional information: I been using this plan for 2 years and this is the first time it dip this low. 

Did all the listed above. Had Shaw come in twice during t...

otto69
Grasshopper

Did all the listed above.

Had Shaw come in twice during the month to check it out and even the tech was surprised that one minute it was fine and then the next, super slow. SO they replaced the modem.  It started getting buggy again the next day.

So they came by again. They moved the modem around the room until it seemed to work consistently.  Said they couldn't see any problems. And left.

It started getting buggy again the next day.

And on it goes.  You do nothing and suddenly you're down to 20MBps.  Ugh.  Netflix pauses.  4 or 5 times through a 30 minute show??!!?

Did our bill reflect this?   Nope.  We pay full price for 1/3 the speed.  Only full speed every so often.  Sucks.  

Anybody use Telus?  Something better out there?  More reliable?

I checked into your account and see the signal to your mo...

shaw-tony

@Akorial I checked into your account and see the signal to your modem is very out of spec which can cause slow speeds. If you haven't done so yet, please reseat the coax cable connections from your wall outlet with the steps here to see if that helps improve your experience. If you continue to notice slow speeds, please contact our technical support team to schedule a service technician so we can fix that right up.

@otto69 similarly, signal to your modem is intermittently too high. When you had a technician visit, did they rewire or change up any of the coax connections inside your home? Also, did they check any of the wiring from the street equipment to your home?

0 Kudos

Shaw crashes multiple times per day.  Cameras complain, W...

LarrySig
Grasshopper

Shaw crashes multiple times per day.  Cameras complain, Web pages go blank.  Very unstable.  Very Poor.  

0 Kudos

-- please read through this complete thread, and try each...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@LarrySig -- please read through this complete thread, and try each of the suggestions that were previously given, and supply the details that were previously requested.

Note that this user-to-user discussion forum is not a path to Shaw Support. Contact them (currently, online chat is preferred over telephone) and get them to trouble-shoot.

0 Kudos

Literally same with me. SHAW IS TERRIBLE. i had telus bef...

Hectic
Grasshopper

Literally same with me. SHAW IS TERRIBLE. i had telus before this. No dropping connections, no poor connectivity and they even gave me free wifi booster which worked really good. Shaw is just overpriced with really bad modems and connectivity. I have internet 300 and i barely get more than 150. Seriously ripping people off. 

-- nice rant. Tell us what steps you have taken, such as:...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Hectic -- nice rant.

Tell us what steps you have taken, such as:

1. how recently in the past was your Internet speed "good" ?
  2. disconnecting the AC power from the cable-modem, waiting a few seconds, reconnecting the cord, and letting it reboot.
  3. check the tightness of the coaxial-cable's ends (cable-modem and wall-socket).
  4. if there is a coaxial-splitter between your computer and the wall-socket, temporarily bypass it, to see if the splitter is the problem.
  5. if you have your own router between your cable-modem and your computer, temporarily bypass it.
  6. contacting Shaw (1-888-472-2222 or www.shaw.ca/chat to make contact with Shaw Support). The Shaw Agent can remotely connect to your cable-modem, to view and analyze the "signal-strength" reaching it, because "bad" signal-strength can cause your symptoms.
  7. if you have Shaw TV, does it work well -- no pixelating and no "freezing" and no drop-outs of sound? Such symptoms could be between Shaw's "demarcation box" and the nearest telephone-pole -- not "inside" your home, and not attributable to your hardware.

> really bad modems

Contributors on this discussion forum have liked the newest "XB7" cable-modem more than the previous "XB6" device.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help