Internet speed capped at 150 with wired and wireless

Nmhansen
Grasshopper

I have had Shaw 600 since its inception, My Laptop can only get 140-150 mpbs on wireless and the same on wired. My Samsung g7 gets around 300-350, my sons PS4 gets about the same and he is wired in. I even bought a USB wireless adapter and I got the same results on WIFI. Any suggestions would be helpful. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies

Are you measuring the "140-150" via Shaw SpeedTest ? That...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Are you measuring the "140-150" via Shaw SpeedTest ? That system requires a FAST processor on your laptop -- my dual-core 1.6 Ghz laptop cannot reach my 300 Mbps service-level, but my desktop does it, without maximizing its processor. Launch the Windows "Task Manager", and switch to the "Performance" tab, and then run the Speed Test, while watching the Task Manager, to see if you have a "bottleneck" on your laptop.

Are you using a USB Version 3 socket on your laptop? Is that USB wireless adapter communicating at USB 3 speed, or at USB2 speed?

0 Kudos

I have only 2.0 USB sockets.

Nmhansen
Grasshopper

I have only 2.0 USB sockets, as for bottleneck issues. The CPU goes to 40% when running Speedtest

0 Kudos

And yes I am using Shaw Speedtest

Nmhansen
Grasshopper

And yes I am using Shaw Speedtest

0 Kudos

The Shaw Speedtest "ramps-up" as it recalculates updates...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

The Shaw Speedtest "ramps-up" as it recalculates updates the download speed -- gradually going from zero to the maximum, whereas the Windows "Task Manager" seems to show the "instantaneous" speed.

The USB 2.0 standard supports a maximum speed of just 480 Mbits/second.

Are you connecting (wirelessly) to your own router, or to the built-in WiFi of Shaw's router?

Is your built-in WiFi adapter using the "Wireless N" or the "Wireless AC" protocol?

> bought a USB wireless adapter 

Manufacturer? Model-number? Supported protocol?

When using SpeedTest, be sure to use a "CAT-5E" (or "CAT-6") Ethernet cable, not a "CAT-5" cable. The "CAT-5" cable is rated only to 100 Mbps.

0 Kudos

Using Shaw's built WiFI (Bluecurve) . Using a CAT-5E when...

Nmhansen
Grasshopper

Using Shaw's built in WiFI (Bluecurve) . Using a CAT-5E when I connect to the router. And it is using Wireless AC protocol. Just really confused LOL

0 Kudos

it may be a settings or browser related issue. Can you ru...

shaw-tony

@Nmhansen it may be a settings or browser related issue. Can you run the speed test in Incognito mode and also on different browsers to see if the speeds are still around 140-150 Mbps? 

As for the G7 and the PS4, it may be device limitations as they do have a set cap along with the speeds PSN will provide.

0 Kudos

Yeah I still get the same speeds on other browsers.

Nmhansen
Grasshopper

Yeah I still get the same speeds on other browsers, and in icognito mode

0 Kudos

that is very odd. Do you have another PC to run a direct...

shaw-tony

@Nmhansen that is very odd. Do you have another PC to run a direct ethernet speed test on? 

0 Kudos

No I don't. Though my Android 7 get between 300-400 mpbs...

Nmhansen
Grasshopper

No I don't. Though my Android 7 get between 300-400 mpbs and my son's ps4 gets the same. I expect that for those 2

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help