Jump to solution

Internet / TV combo question

brettich
Grasshopper

So I want to upgrade my old services (Internet 300 + Legacy Gateway TV) to one of the new Fiber+ plans with much higher upload speeds. 

I am a technical user, and have my own dedicated 3rd party mesh WiFi (Orbi) and my own dedicated router (Ubiquiti)

Question - is anyone able to comment on the useable internet performance if I leave my BlueCurve router in "gateway" mode (double NAT) vs full transparent bridge mode ? IF I bridge my BlueCuve it is my understanding that I can no longer connect to the wireless 4K TV Boxes? Can I still get the coax version of the BlueCurve TV box in 4k? 

OR - it is required / possible to have TWO BlueCurve modems? ONE in bridge mode to supply my internet and another for my TV?

Trying to have my cake and eat it 🙂 

I want my own wifi and router (requires bridge mode) AND still have access to the new 4K tv boxes? 

Any ideas? 

BR

Labels (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/equipment-info-blu...

rickatk
Master
Jump to solution

-- i'm considering swapping out the xb6 anyways as it doe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Tambora -- i'm considering swapping out the xb6 anyways as it doesn't allow for custom dns servers

Instead, set the XB6 to "bridged" mode. This will disable its WiFi, and access to remote TV portals, if you are using any.

Then, connect your choice of third-party WiFi-capable Gigabit routers to the XB6. Configure your router to your needs -- DNS-servers & channels & SSID(s) & lions & tigers & bears. 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Jump to solution

If you bridge your Gateway you will lose the Wireless TV...

rickatk
Master

@brettich wrote:

So I want to upgrade my old services (Internet 300 + Legacy Gateway TV) to one of the new Fiber+ plans with much higher upload speeds. 

I am a technical user, and have my own dedicated 3rd party mesh WiFi (Orbi) and my own dedicated router (Ubiquiti)

Question - is anyone able to comment on the useable internet performance if I leave my BlueCurve router in "gateway" mode (double NAT) vs full transparent bridge mode ? IF I bridge my BlueCuve it is my understanding that I can no longer connect to the wireless 4K TV Boxes? Can I still get the coax version of the BlueCurve TV box in 4k? 

OR - it is required / possible to have TWO BlueCurve modems? ONE in bridge mode to supply my internet and another for my TV?

Trying to have my cake and eat it 🙂 

I want my own wifi and router (requires bridge mode) AND still have access to the new 4K tv boxes? 

Any ideas? 

BR

@brettich 

If you bridge your Gateway you will lose the Wireless TV Player and Blue Curve app capabilities. 

If you bridge your Gateway you will retain BlueCurve coax connectivity.

Jump to solution

Thanks  ! So does that mean coax connected 4K set top box...

brettich
Grasshopper

Thanks @rickatk !

So does that mean coax connected 4K set top boxes for BlueCurve TV are available? 

What PVR do they connect to on the back end -like my current Gateway TV PVR? 

Cheers,

BR

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/tv-articles/equipment-info-blu...

rickatk
Master
Jump to solution

Having spent a lot time on tech support chat if you use t...

Lorne_D
Grasshopper

Having spent a lot time on tech support chat if you use the bridge mode forget about enjoying some the BlueCurve TV advantages as the wireless 4K boxes will not work. You have to use a crippled wired box. The wired boxes only have a 500 GB drive, maybe 30 hours HD recording time,  you cannot use a an expansion drive with them and they do not support the use of cloud pvr, despite what the device spec sheet says. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

The wired BlueCurve use cloud recording.

rstra
Grand Master

The wired BlueCurve use cloud recording. 

Jump to solution

Thanks for the tips!  I'll look into it!   BR

brettich
Grasshopper

Thanks for the tips! 

I'll look into it!

BR

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

So i have the xb6 in bridge mode with direct wired connec...

Tambora
Grasshopper

So i have the xb6 in bridge mode with direct wired connection from the xb6 to asus rt-ac5300 and 3 bluecurv boxes further out have a velop mesh wired on top off that so not sure why people are saying that it doesn't work you just have to manually configure it to connect to new wifi further on my Ethernet on my desktop i connect at 900+mbps my WiFi maxes out at about 700 depending on load. Also pvr works just fine too. in my case at least but its pretty basic configuration. also it is possible to have 2 bluecurv modems you need a splitter however you shouldn't need one

Jump to solution

Thanks for the feedback!  I just upgraded to the Fiber+ G...

brettich
Grasshopper

Thanks for the feedback! 
I just upgraded to the Fiber+ Gig plan so we shall see. I'm leaving my TV alone for now -Legacy Gateway PVR with 3 portals. 

Cheers,

BR

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

thought id ad some validation

Tambora
Grasshopper

20210115_134622.jpg

20210115_134440.jpg

11.PNG

33.PNG

thought id ad some validation