Jump to solution

IP address blocked and cannot access CRA log-in ! Want to change it. Help ??

Vini
Grasshopper

Hi,  I have finally found out why I can no longer log-in to the CRA website to My Account and to also Represent a Client(my family) - my IP address with Shaw has been put on blacklists.  We do not do any dodgy things on the web to start this happening, and I have identified this to be the problem by using the same laptop and systems to access their web-site from a friend who also uses Shaw for her ISP.

Another strange issue has arisen where a local business has been trying to send me an invoice for several weeks and the email never comes through from her company.  I even emailed her and said to attach it to her reply..... NOTHING !!!

Clearly it is not at all convenient to drive several miles when I want to log onto a government site - so what can I do, please SHAW TEAM.   Thanks.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Hi Tony, So regarding my two issues, I had the opportunit...

Vini
Grasshopper

Hi Tony,

So regarding my two issues, I had the opportunity to have a long discussion with a friend who is very very knowledgeable about ISPs and also email protocols and servers etc.  He helped resolve and advise as follows:

#1 - Lost email - he suggested that I search but delete the "in:inbox" to leave this blank.  Did not know you could do this !  Immediately I found the missing email that had got swept up in a filter that should not have caught it up.  I have now taken out all my filters.  As the search field already had this inserted I had no idea that you could just do a raw search.  My innocence I guess - but it would have been helpful if you had not been so helpful !  Ha.

#2 - He advised that it would be unlikely that Shaw support would change my IP address even though it CAN be done, as apparently Shaw would receive many requests for this to be done.  He has suggested that I contact the CRA to get them to unblock me in their system - also I suspect a hopeless cause.  All I can say is that God for VPNs.

As I see from all my Google searches that many people and companies have these IP issues with Shaw, he informed me that quite often the cause comes from company email servers not being set up quite correctly.  Maybe there is a market out there for him !!

View solution in original post

31 Replies
Jump to solution

that is certainly odd. Do you have any 3rd party switches...

shaw-tony

@Vini that is certainly odd. Do you have any 3rd party switches/routers attached to the Shaw modem? What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi Tony, We have nothing attached to the modem, our compu...

Vini
Grasshopper

Hi Tony,

We have nothing attached to the modem, our computers are attached wirelessly to the modem and both laptop and desktop use Linux Ubuntu 18.04.  Our browsers are all updated and we do not use virus softward or blockers.  Our mondem signal is reasonably strong within the house also.  I tried everything I could think of related to why I could not connect and since I posted yesterday I also tried logging into CRA using a VPN with canada as source. 

So logged in fine at friend's ISP and also using a VPN  - so it still seems to boil down to our ISP - we also unplugged our modem for 10 hours - still same ISP(I am sure you know that)....

Also today while at the keyboard I saw the email pop-up flash that an expected email from a lawyer had arrived.  I went to email program screen - NO EMAIL !!  Looked everywhere - nothing.  Have changed spam directions to put spam into junk folder rather than delete them - (You seem to call it Junk not Spam) I checked there - several emails from Netflix, Costco, Westjet which have never been called Junk or Spam before.  All emails seemed genuine !  

So cannot find that lawyer email anywhere - we are missing important emails - Please help !!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I've never heard of this issue before. Do you have any sp...

shaw-tony

@Vini I've never heard of this issue before. Do you have any special settings on the modem? If so, I'd recommend trying a factory pinhole reset to start from the beginning. If the problems persist after that, touch base with our technical support team members to investigate further.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hi Tony, So regarding my two issues, I had the opportunit...

Vini
Grasshopper

Hi Tony,

So regarding my two issues, I had the opportunity to have a long discussion with a friend who is very very knowledgeable about ISPs and also email protocols and servers etc.  He helped resolve and advise as follows:

#1 - Lost email - he suggested that I search but delete the "in:inbox" to leave this blank.  Did not know you could do this !  Immediately I found the missing email that had got swept up in a filter that should not have caught it up.  I have now taken out all my filters.  As the search field already had this inserted I had no idea that you could just do a raw search.  My innocence I guess - but it would have been helpful if you had not been so helpful !  Ha.

#2 - He advised that it would be unlikely that Shaw support would change my IP address even though it CAN be done, as apparently Shaw would receive many requests for this to be done.  He has suggested that I contact the CRA to get them to unblock me in their system - also I suspect a hopeless cause.  All I can say is that God for VPNs.

As I see from all my Google searches that many people and companies have these IP issues with Shaw, he informed me that quite often the cause comes from company email servers not being set up quite correctly.  Maybe there is a market out there for him !!

Jump to solution

glad to hear your email troubles have been fixed. As for...

shaw-tony

@Vini glad to hear your email troubles have been fixed. As for the IP address, it would be best to contact the CRA to whitelist your IP so you can continue to access their sites.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> He advised that it would be unlikely that Shaw support...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> He advised that it would be unlikely that Shaw support would change my IP address even though it CAN be done

You may try to do it yourself, in two ways:

1. Power-off the Shaw cable-modem for a long time, namely the length (minutes? hours?) of the DHCP-lease that Shaw's DHCP-server allocated to the cable-modem.

2. Now that the lease has "expired", power-on the modem, and it will issue a "new" DHCP-request, instead of a "renew" DHCP-request.  A "renew" request is meant to extend the authorization of the current IP-address.

3. If the planets and the zodiac are properly aligned and there is a full moon, Shaw's DHCP-server will allocate a different IP-address to the cable-modem.

4. Hopefully, the "new" IP-address will not be blocked by the CRA.

Or:

1. The web-interface of the Shaw cable-modem may allow you to change the modem's MAC address to match ("clone") the MAC address of your computer.

2. Power-off the cable-modem.

3. Immediately, power-on the cable-modem.

4. It will send a DHCP-request with the "new" MAC address to Shaw's DHCP-server.

5. Shaw's DHCP-server will notice the "never-seen-before" MAC address, and will allocate a different IP-address to the cable-modem.

6. Hopefully, that "new" IP-address will not be blocked by the CRA.

Jump to solution

Or a modem swap if all else fails.

rstra
Grand Master

Or a modem swap if all else fails.

Jump to solution

I am having a similar problem, I upgraded from Shaw to Sh...

Pennya
Grasshopper

I am having a similar problem, I upgraded from Shaw to Shaw Blue Curve in Jan., and since then I have not been able to connect to CRA Represent a Client on my desktop which is not wireless, it is connected with an Ethernet cable.  But interestingly, I can connect to Rep a Client on my wireless Surface laptop, no problem.  And when I unplugged my desktop and took it to a computer repair shop, and connected to their internet, I could sign in to CRA Rep a Client from the repair shop??  My internet is otherwise working fine, I can do internet banking from my desktop, but just not sign into CRA.  I have had 2 technicians from Shaw trouble shoot and had a new modem put in on Friday.  The same issues with the new modem.  I am at a loss?  Would appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

what is the message you receive when trying to access the...

shaw-tony

@Pennya what is the message you receive when trying to access the CRA website? It may be a browser or a computer setting if your Surface connects to the site with no issues on WiFi.

TALK TO US
We're here to help