Jump to solution

Issues with BlueCruve modem in Bridge Mode - Can't connect to switch or obtain 2nd IP

edi7
Grasshopper

I've been having a major issue connecting to my ethernet switch via Bridge mode. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The left main port of the BlueCurve modem is connected to my TP-LINK Deco X60, this is a mesh WiFi system. It works perfectly, however the 2nd port on the BlueCurve does not seem to want to play nice with my ethernet switch.

I've tried bypassing the switch and connecting it directly into my PC, which has only worked when I reset the modem. However, if I were to take that same ethernet then plug it into my iMac, the Mac would not detect any internet connection but knows an ethernet is plugged in. To make the Mac internet work, I would again have to reset the BlueCurve modem, then again if I wanted it to work with the PC.

Reseting the modem every single time I want to change the device does not seem like a good solution. Is this an issue regarding a secondary IP address? I've tried plugging it into my PS5 console as well and had no luck.

I've even tried to use the port on my TP-Link Deco as ethernet backhaul but still nothing worked. I have a feeling this has something to do with an IP address conflict.

Again, any help would mean a lot!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

-- your switch is just a bypass for having many more Ethe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@edi7 -- your switch is just a bypass for having many more Ethernet ports on your cable-modem.

Each computer connected to your switch makes a DHCP-request to Shaw's DHCP-server. If you have more than two computers connected, only the first two computers will get a "public" IP-address from Shaw.

Why not "unbridge" the cable-modem, and connect the switch to the cable-modem, and connect all your devices to the switch? Each of the computers connected to the switch will get a "private" IP-address from the cable-modem. In this configuration, connect your TP-LINK Deco X60 to the second LAN port on the cable-modem, to activate your "mesh". In this configuration, you won't be using a second IP-address.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jump to solution

-- your posting seems to be identical to your other posti...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@edi7 -- your posting seems to be identical to your other posting: https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/bluecurve-modem-will-not-assign-ip-to-any-third-part...

Please see the replies in that thread.

P.S. What is the manufacturer and model-number of your "switch" ?

A "true" switch does not originate DHCP-requests. It simply "switches" traffic, like a flag-person at a road intersection, when the traffic-lights are not working. Maybe, you have a "router", not a switch?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Hey MDK, It's a basic TP Link 5-port switch. Model number...

edi7
Grasshopper

Hey MDK,

It's a basic TP Link 5-port switch. Model number is TL-SG1005D. It is an unmanaged switch.

https://www.amazon.ca/TP-Link-TL-SG1005D-1000Mbps-Gigabit-Capacity/dp/B000N99BBC/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1...

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Would a router be a better solution? I just activated the...

edi7
Grasshopper

Would a router be a better solution? I just activated the secondary IP and still having the same issue.

iMac received the internet just fine(from the ethernet switch), but the PS5 doesn't seem to be able to get a IP address via the switch.

Essentially, what I need is an hub where I can plug in multiple ethernet connections. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- your switch is just a bypass for having many more Ethe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@edi7 -- your switch is just a bypass for having many more Ethernet ports on your cable-modem.

Each computer connected to your switch makes a DHCP-request to Shaw's DHCP-server. If you have more than two computers connected, only the first two computers will get a "public" IP-address from Shaw.

Why not "unbridge" the cable-modem, and connect the switch to the cable-modem, and connect all your devices to the switch? Each of the computers connected to the switch will get a "private" IP-address from the cable-modem. In this configuration, connect your TP-LINK Deco X60 to the second LAN port on the cable-modem, to activate your "mesh". In this configuration, you won't be using a second IP-address.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

That worked great! Thank you MDK, I can't express how muc...

edi7
Grasshopper

That worked great! Thank you MDK, I can't express how much stress you have just relieved me.

Bridge mode was the culprit the entire time, all my instructions were telling me to activate Bridge when setting up the mesh wifi. I've just unbridged then disabled WiFi.

THANK YOU AGAIN!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- all my instructions were telling me to activate Bridge...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@edi7 -- all my instructions were telling me to activate Bridge when setting up the mesh wifi.

My guess is that those instructions were making the assumption that the TP-Link would be the only device directly-connected to the cable-modem., and that all the devices that you would be connecting would connect via WiFi, not via an Ethernet cable.

Sigh.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help