Losing wifi connection

hayleymayamama
Grasshopper

When we lose our connection I then go to settings on our PC and am told that "Wifi" does not have a valid IP address. The troubleshooter always says that it's resolved but it happens almost daily that I have to repeat this action.

Labels (1)
2 Replies

-- check that your computer has the correct date & time &...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@hayleymayamama -- check that your computer has the correct date & time & timezone.

Have you contacted Shaw Support, to get them to trouble-shoot, including remotely logging-on to your modem, to observe the "signal-strength" reaching the modem?

Do you have computers that have Ethernet connections, instead of WiFi ? Do they also "lose" their IP-address?

From a Windows command-line prompt, enter: IPCONFIG /ALL

to see the details about the DHCP lease, and its TTL (Time To Live).

The TTL tells your computer how long that the IP-address can be used by your computer, before sending a "renew-my-IP" request to your cable-modem.

I can see the details of the  DHCP lease, "Lease Obtained...

hayleymayamama
Grasshopper

I can see the details of the  DHCP lease, "Lease Obtained" with today's date and "Lease Expires" with a date a week from today but I don't see its TTL. I am having this problem multiple times a day. It does not seem to affect our television viewing but it affects my PC over and over again. The troubleshooter says that it is fixed but the "fix" does not last.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help