Mini-outages

Network-Admin
Grasshopper

Hello,

I first got set up with Shaw internet in late 2020 and immediately noticed 5-30 second outages occurring several times a day, sometimes as bad as 20 times a day. This was an absolute nightmare for Working from home and online gaming with friends. I was able to provide all kinds of evidence of this happening beyond my network and Shaw support was only able to send out techs to test signal quality, which was always good.

With a constant ping going to both my gateway and an external IP (google - 8.8.8.8) I would see no dropped packets to my gateway, impressive latency and jitter to google except for the drop outs of usually 10 seconds at a time, happening sporadically throughout the day. Shaw support had no answers and techs were sent out multiple times to deliver a new modem or test signal quality, which was always good. This is on a wired connection straight to the modem, multiple computers showing the same symptoms.

One tech, however, knew of my problem exactly and suggested the older hitron modem to fix the issue as he has seen this before. Lo and behold it worked and my micro outages were solved after 3 frustrating weeks.

It is now almost two years later and the exact same issue is back for the last 4 days now, only this time with the beloved old hitron modem. I have the latest and greatest bluecurve modem on the way to try it out since Shaw support was only interested in upselling me a faster connection and they want me on a newer modem to make that possible. It's worth a try I suppose.

Does anyone else experience these outages still? I recall a thread about this back in 2020 that gained traction. I am dumbfounded this is still happening.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

New modem did not resolve the issue

Network-Admin
Grasshopper

New modem did not resolve the issue 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help