Jump to solution

Modem Reboots at Random Times.

whomever
Grasshopper

ISSUE:

After a few months of better than 0 to 300 Mbps - sometimes even reaching 75 - 80 Mbps, the modem decided it was time for a reboot. I did not execute the reboot. Though a execution of a modem sounded like a good idea. After the modem settled down - no internet. No cable or wi-fi. I checked with 3 machines, 3 operating systems an still nothing.

I did the disconnect pwr and cable to refresh it - still no Internet.

Lastly, I did the factory reset. Voila! Internet

That lasted about 2 hours when it rebooted again. Again, end result was I factory reset (FR) again. 

Each time after FR, I had to reset the password to mine, and change the settings to a more semi-private setup.

Shaw has sent 2 more modems, and same thing happens. Middle of doing something and modem reboots, needing factory reset. Each modem is the magical self-activating. I have a feeling It is having a bad week as well and customers are still beta testers.

START SIDEBAR::: I wish Shaw would put as much effort into maintaining something other than the very reliable billing system and get rid of the &^$%# "Authentication Failed" popups that keeps re-drawing this screen with the &^&% NOTICE every few seconds! It's almost as bad as having to Factory Reset every few hours.post failure.JPG
END SIDEBAR:::

Back to the issue. 

TESTING:

Testing, I used 3 different desktops, 5 O/Ss to try Internet. None could connect. But, each could see the other on the local net, but not talk to each other.  (Win 7, Win 10, Ubuntu, Mint, Pop_OS) 

'Support' says it's my computers. NOT. The modem keeps resetting - computers are not involved. 
This same thing started happening with TCV many years ago. After 18 years of TV with Shaw, they finally, after 3 months of grief, agreed that they could no longer provide the signal. I'm without TV. But that doesn't help with this very new issue.

About 20 years ago, a signal drop and complaints and 3 months later, they discovered a break in the cable between pole and house. A good wind would sway cable, breaking connection and back again.  Can't be that, because the landline with Shaw doesn't reset - just the modem.

Specs:

Hitron
Shaw installed splitter for Internet and Phone. Tight.
After second modem, I replaced all cables.
Time of reboots are random. 
Normally only have one desktop connected to the Hitron at any one time - no WiFi used.

Main system:
Win 7 cabled desktop is usually the only one connected.

Ideas?

~w~

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

> "One of my colleagues did reach out to me advising you...

whomever
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony @mdk @Claymation @rstra 

@shaw-tony > "One of my colleagues did reach out to me advising you reached out and they are sending you the new modem. Hopefully, that will solve this issue. Keep us posted on how it goes!"

He did not bring the other model. But that's OK because he may have found the source of the problem. Should go into a FAQ.

The tech arrived, surveyed things:

1. As we all know, receiving a Hitron now is receiving a used Hitron. Last February(?), I requested a return from BlueWave back to Hitron. That was done. 
  2. The connector where the coax goes into the modem 'may' be the problem IF, a #6 male with thicker inner wire was used before, and a #5 male (thinner) goes in, the female is use to the #6. Applying a smaller #5 male coax (the inner wire) could mean the smaller isn't making a great contact at times.
  3. The tech replaced the cable with a 6. 
  4. We'll give it a few days - let's see.

This makes so much sense as to probable cause because if computers could talk to each other, but no internet, is why I felt it had be from that connection to wherever. 

Hats off to the tech. He came, he looked, he listened, and went straight to test the size of the male connector. Replaced cable. It is noticeably larger. We wait now.

Merry Christmas to you all, and a Happy and Prosperous New Year and thanks for all your help. 

~w~

p.s.I may be off with my numbers, but that is how it was explained. 

View solution in original post

23 Replies
Jump to solution

I think you are looking at a cable line fault or poor sig...

rstra
Grand Master

I think you are looking at a cable line fault or poor signal to the modem. Time for a service call, in the meantime check connections you can see and reconnect them. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- About 20 years ago, a signal drop and complaints and 3...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- About 20 years ago, a signal drop and complaints and 3 months later, they discovered a break in the cable between pole and house. A good wind would sway cable, breaking connection and back again.  

Hmm. Could the same condition, but with the electrical power feeding your home, over power-lines adjacent to your outdoor coaxial-cable, be causing the same symptoms?

Try putting a UPS ("Uninterruptible Power Supply") between your electrical wall-outlet and your cable-modem and your computer, to provide "smooth" power to the cable-modem and to your computer and your monitor screen.

Do you live in the city, or out in the country, where the electrical power-supply might be more "iffy" ?

> Win 7 cabled desktop is usually the only one connected. Ideas?

By the way, Microsoft still offers a free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Microsoft ended all security-updates to Windows 7 in mid-January 2020.  The "risk" of running an unsupported operating system is increasing, every month that it is not getting any "patches".

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

whomever
Grasshopper

@mdk 

@mdk wrote:

@whomever -- About 20 years ago, a signal drop and complaints and 3 months later, they discovered a break in the cable between pole and house. A good wind would sway cable, breaking connection and back again.  

Hmm. Could the same condition, but with the electrical power feeding your home, over power-lines adjacent to your outdoor coaxial-cable, be causing the same symptoms?

1. Extremely unlikely. Else the phone would have rebooted or just gone off as well. While there was no Internet, I was able to phone Shaw line up at the trough.
  2. Inside the home, the main coax comes in, splits (approved splitter by Shaw install) The distance from splitter to phone and splitter to modem was decided by Shaw - must be right.
  3. Outside, the coax runs on it's own, separate from hydro. Outside still, the coax goes into a small box and joins the main via splitter that goes into the house.
  4. Having been with Shaw for some 20+ years, I ensure cables are not moved, are tight, and nothing else around them. - not even breathed on.

Try putting a UPS ("Uninterruptible Power Supply") between your electrical wall-outlet and your cable-modem and your computer, to provide "smooth" power to the cable-modem and to your computer and your monitor screen.

Nothing has changed here - nothing! There is no reason I should rewire my house to accommodate a new bell or whistle or stalker by Shaw. Next? Delete my cookies???

I know you're trying to help @mdk 

@mdk wrote:

Do you live in the city, or out in the country, where the electrical power-supply might be more "iffy" ?

• City.
    Yes, there have been occasional black-outs, brown outs, and no-outs. I know the difference.
    When cable died,
    A: Phone worked on same line.
    B: No power outs
    C: No brown outs.
    THIS IS a NEW ISSUE.

and it's fixed by doing the factory reset, pin in hole, 60 seconds, wait, comes back. Good for - who knows how long.

@mdk wrote:

> Win 7 cabled desktop is usually the only one connected. Ideas?

By the way, Microsoft still offers a free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Microsoft ended all security-updates to Windows 7 in mid-January 2020.  The "risk" of running an unsupported operating system is increasing, every month that it is not getting any "patches".

Now you've done it - you poked the rant-bear. 🙂
"unsupported"? I may not know much about modems, but I do know how SMIRCing works and know that Shaw like 70% - 85% of all sites is in the business of pimping out our rights to privacy like all other online 'everythings' have taken to doing for Microsoft, Google and ilk.
I have to use a sandboxed browser just so I can view my account at Shaw. Why? Because my usual browser blocks Stalkers. Cookies are one thing, but I block 16 stalkers on Shaw just on the main page alone, and in the end, if I want to pay my Shaw bill, I have to get undressed first!

When I visit Shaw's home, they have every right to follow me around; record what I look at, say, touch swipe up or down, or left or right, for how long noting what mode of transportation I use to get around. But Shaw has no right to frisk me at their door to see where I've been, for how long, using what devices and from what locations.  Shaw also has no right to hide gum-shoes on me to record and report back where I go after leaving, for how long, what vI saw, did, and from what location.... that is beyond "tracking" - it's STALKING!
PLEASE don't go there with Windows STALKER 10! I do have a Win10 leash, on another device and rarely ever do I send Microsoft and ilk my resources to be pimped by Microsoft. I usually only use Linux-based devices. The "risk" as you call it is a risk that the site won't work properly unless we let the site get as close  to a cavity search one can get. As for viruses, which is worse? What do most viruses do these days? ANSWER: Most viruses today try to use our devices resources, mine our data, record our input/output, and try to take our money. Sound familiar?

Shaw is your area of expertise, Rights to Privacy and the raping of those rights by web sites is my 'bailiwick'.

Having cleared the air. I need to cancel the Shaw service tech because all s/he will do is measure the line weight, say it's a good signal and leave. I agree, the signal is good. Until the modem decides to reboot and who wants to wait around for that!

I'm going to look into the possibility of being able to buy a quality modem and use that instead of the Hitron.

~w~

Poking the rant-bear with updates to Windows Stalker 10 is never a good idea. 😏😁

p.s. @mdk I know you are trying to help and I very much appreciate your efforts. I don't know how you can do it - but hey - thanks. I appreciate it. I strongly urge everyone to dump Win 10 and get back the 45% of resources it uses for stalking, and switch to a Linux based system. No one should have the right to pimp your rights to peeps and perves that want to sell you something you already have. The Internet has been taken over by marketeers, advertisers and companies doing everything they can to know everything about you ... an you pay them to do that!

Suggesting Win Stalker 10 might help, is like saying bleach will cure COVID-19(84)

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

- TLDR, except for: I'm going to look into the possibilit...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever - TLDR, except for: I'm going to look into the possibility of being able to buy a quality modem and use that instead of the Hitron.

I say "good luck". You will need it, because "Big Brother" Shaw is not going to allow you to BYOD to replace the HITRON (or the BlueCurve) and use it on their network.

Note that there are third-party "resellers" out there that obtain "bulk" services, both fiber-optic and coaxial-cable, from the "top two" first-level providers (T**** and S***), that may sell you a modulator-demodulator that works over their wires. Cancel with Shaw, after signing-up with one of the alternatives.

P.S. You mentioned "power-out" and "brown-out", but not "transient spikes" --  a UPS would absorb those spikes.

> There is no reason I should rewire my house to accommodate  ... a UPS.

I didn't mean the whole house -- just one AC wall-port --> UPS --> cable-modem, and UPS -> computer, and UPS -> monitor. Maybe, the provincial power-company is "spiking" your devices, because they are colluding with sellers of computer-hardware, and TV sets, to "kill" that hardware, to force you to spend your money on replacements. I should look for a combination tin-hat and 3-layer Vitamin-D-enriched face-mask, to enhance my protection, and to never leave my house. I am worried about neutrinos penetrating my organs, causing gene mutations.  8-)

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

TL;DR except for "I am worried about neutrinos penetratin...

whomever
Grasshopper

@mdk  TL;DR except for "I am worried about neutrinos penetrating my organs, causing gene mutations.  8-)"

Too late.

~s~

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This -thing- has dropped carrier three time in one day. l...

whomever
Grasshopper

This -thing- has dropped carrier three time in one day. let's stop blaming meteor showers, COVID, ants, wall outlets and focus on the reason the entire signal drops, and reboots the modem. It's not "spikes" else everyone around this Node or as some Shawies call it "hub" would be complaining.

I have to spend 15 minutes every time resetting it. When I woke this morning, I had to factory reset. 45 minutes ago I had to wait while it rebooted again, to set it back to the DNS I'd rather have stalking me, passwords, SSID and so on and wait again for another "CM reset".  I've not changed any hardware. Isn't it about time that once, just this once, Shaw stepped up to the plate and take some responsibility for their 'wares?

Yes, I'm sure that right now, the "signal looks good" as it does for support when they pick up the phone, but that's usually at minimum, 1-3 hours AFTER it has reset itself. What about that one moment when it resets - is anyone recording a monitoring of the issue?

Is there a way I can backup the settings and just flash it back in?

Is there a way I can have the line monitored for these ghost spikes?

TIA

w

I hope this falls below the TL;DR bar. It's not published anywhere I could find the Shaw max length.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

the signal to your home and modem looks solid with no err...

shaw-tony

@whomever the signal to your home and modem looks solid with no errors showing up as of right now. The historical data on your signal also looks good along with no issues showing up in your area.

Since you've tried multiple modems and end up with the same issue, I'd recommend requesting a Cisco DPC3848V to see if that will improve your experience. 

As @mdk pointed out, power-related issues can cause modem restarts/drops. Please try and test a different power outlet and bypass any power strips to see if the modem continues to reboot. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

As you suggested, I started out at being "number one in t...

whomever
Grasshopper
@shaw-tony wrote:

@whomever the signal to your home and modem looks solid with no errors showing up as of right now. The historical data on your signal also looks good along with no issues showing up in your area.

Since you've tried multiple modems and end up with the same issue, I'd recommend requesting a Cisco DPC3848V to see if that will improve your experience. 

As @mdk pointed out, power-related issues can cause modem restarts/drops. Please try and test a different power outlet and bypass any power strips to see if the modem continues to reboot. 

As you suggested, I started out at being "number one in the que" 10:13 AM after a 45 minute call-back that took 1.2 hours, to ask for the DPC3848V (DPC) and have been transferred around the globe and back to "You are number 1 in the QUE!" again. FOUR HOURS to be returned to "First in que" again.

Unfortunately, the fellow I finally did manage to reach, after calling back 4 times, says they (he?) can't just send it out and that a service tech has to come out, look at the signal with his laptop, say 'The signal looks fine to me - have a nice day' and leave. What part of the modem randomly hangs seems so hard to fathom? Just when a tech answers or visits doesn't mean the modem will suddenly confess!

So they are sending a guy out to test the line, say it looks fine, and leave, leaving the random drops for me to re-call, re-wait, re-call, try again, and get a kiddie-koder  calling back to say "Did you delete your cookies". You know how helpful that is going to be.
Now I know what OMG means.
Now, I am waiting for TWO things, one until Dec 23 for a service guy to tell me the line looks good. Duh. and TWO from whomever will take some responsibility and move things along. Can YOU have that  Cisco DPC3848V sent to me? 

WHAT would cause a modem to require a factory reset instead of just unplugging Pwr supply and back again?

I cannot even cancel Internet and move to a professional provider without paying penalty fees for breach of contract. Just like when I had to cancel TV because after 3 months of testings they agreed they could not longer provide the TV signal. I was penalized for dropping out of the "Plan". This pay Shaw more for less is getting old.

If it's power as is the latest excuse is correct, how is it no on else around me has the same problems? 

Nothing worse than waiting all afternoon and morning listening to the same commercials repeated every 3 minutes and having the line go dead. I know where I"d like to plug it in...

Worse I've ever seen Shaw in 20+ years.

Here I am... random internet, can't cancel unless I pay the no-service available fee, the phone is a dark crawl down the rabbit hole, and yes, the fastest way to reach Shaw is via chat. Chat connects right away, finding anyone responding takes hours. Shaw - no service costs more and more every day. UI just hope my phone doesn't stop working or I'll have to mortgage my house!

SUGGESTION for Shaw: Fire those in Belize. They are on a hurry-up fill more calls and hang up when the going gets anything above answering why I am being penalized $110.00 if I  cancel a service because the service isn't there.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- why I am being penalized $110.00 if I  cancel a servic...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@whomever -- why I am being penalized $110.00 if I  cancel a service 

Twice during 2020:

1. Before COVID-19, Telus sales team at my front door,

2. During, via telephone from a Telus employee in Toronto,

I have been offered to be "bought out" from the remaining months of my Shaw two-year Value Plan, namely to get $200 in TELUS-credit, if I were to switch from Shaw to Telus.

So, that is a relief from being "penalized".  Maybe, that TELUS offer is still available to you?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help