Nest Wifi and BlueCurve Gateway

thaisevdc
Grasshopper

I have a BlueCurve Gateway and also a Nest Wifi router with 2 access points.

The BlueCurve Gateway is set to bridge mode, and everything in my house is connected to Nest Wifi devices.

The problem is that some services perform WAY worse with Nest Wifi. As an example, video calls on Microsoft Teams are simply terrible, as the video streams are all blurry and voice can be choppy.

If I disable the bridge mode on BlueCurve Gateway and simply move everything from Nest Wifi to BlueCurve wifi, Microsoft Teams performs as expected with no hiccups.

Do you guys have any idea why this could be happening? The overall signal strength is much better with Nest Wifi but I really need Microsoft Teams for work.

I also noticed that my IP changes when I enable/disable bridge mode. Is that expected?

I returned a Nest Wifi router before thinking the device could be problematic, but the issue persists.

Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies

-- how is the cable-modem connected to your third-party r...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@thaisevdc -- how is the cable-modem connected to your third-party router?  If it is via an Ethernet cable, try a different "CAT-5e" or "CAT-6" cable.

When you view the third-party's router's WAN connection (to a LAN port on the cable-modem) , is it showing as 10 or 100 or 1000 Megabits per second?

> I also noticed that my IP changes when I enable/disable bridge mode. Is that expected?

Absolutely. Shaw takes the unique MAC-address (of the cable-modem or of your third-party router) and dynamically assigns an IP-address. Long gone are the days when any ISP would give you a static IP-address, forever and ever.

0 Kudos

No my Google nest is Wi-Fi and it will not connect to you...

Kirken1010
Grasshopper

No my Google nest is Wi-Fi and it will not connect to your Wi-Fi tower

0 Kudos

wrote:  it will not connect to your Wi-Fi tower True.  Th...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Kirken1010 wrote:  it will not connect to your Wi-Fi tower

True.  Those Rogers/Shaw WiFi boxes connect only to the cable-modem inside your residence (and maybe to your immediate neighbour's cable-modem, if you live in a MURB [Multiple Unit Residential Building]).

If it were not true, then anybody with one of those WiFi boxes could connect via WiFi to ShawOpen/RogersOpen, and get "free" TV channels. Definitely not what Shaw/Rogers wants. 🙂

Note that "WiFi tower" does not exist.  Your cable-modem offers WiFi inside your home; Rogers/Shaw & Telus/Bell & Freedom Mobile have towers (and/or roof-top antennas) that offer cellular service, but not WiFi, for mobile phones.

0 Kudos