No service area

Sadman
Grasshopper

I just got a new job! In a little town called penny.  Fantastic! Other than the fact that Shaw doesn’t service that area. Now I have to pay a cancellation fee of 450$ even though they won’t provide me with service?  

Labels (1)
35 Replies

Hi  , congrats on your new job.  Now for the bad news,  t...

g-idk
Master

Hi @Sadman , congrats on your new job.  Now for the bad news,  that is one of the major downfalls of signing a 2 year contract.  It does state in your contract that if you move to another area and Shaw is available there then no problem/no charges to move your services, but if you move to an area that is not serviced by Shaw then your contract will be terminated and you will be charged the remaining cancellation fees.  That's why I keep telling everyone read the fine print/don't understand ask someone. This really sucks especially with covid , wish I could give you some better news.  Maybe somehow you can plead with them but I not sure if it would work.  If you scroll down to the bottom of this page after reading this, you will see  ABOUT US near the bottom of that you will see Your Voice click on that link to voice your concerns with Shaw directly, since this is a peer to peer discussion forum.  Good Luck with the new job and Stay Safe.

I sure messed up on that one.  The part that gets me is t...

Sadman
Grasshopper

I sure messed up on that one.  The part that gets me is the landlord for my last place worked for Shaw and had signing on with Shaw coverage as part of the rental agreement.   Forced to sign up and now forced to pay to cancel

-- Forced to sign up and now forced to pay to cancel Is t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Sadman -- Forced to sign up and now forced to pay to cancel

Is that legal to add that paragraph into your rental agreement?

Does the landlord have a new tenant who will take-over your account? Maybe, a small "bribe" to the new tenant?

Or, you could be "nasty", and keep paying for a few months. That might prevent the new tenant from signing-up with Shaw.

Shaw's "fine print" says that you can "downgrade" your services, within some limits, e.g., "Limited TV" for $25/month, rather than the full price for "Total TV", and "Fibre+ 10" for a few less dollars than the current Internet speed. Maybe, do the math ???

-- little town called Penny Very small, indeed. Populatio...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Sadman -- little town called Penny

Very small, indeed. Population about 50, if it is this one: https://apps.gov.bc.ca/pub/bcgnws/names/6972.html

that is over 2 hours of driving east from Prince George, BC.

Do you have any friends/relatives who are near to the end of their current two-year Value Plan? If they cancel their contract, how much would they need to pay, or you would pay to reimburse them? Then, transfer your existing contract to their location, to provide Shaw services to them.

0 Kudos

Small town indeed.   But it’s not to far from Prince Geor...

Sadman
Grasshopper

Small town indeed.   But it’s not to far from Prince George and in some very beautiful country. 

I don’t really feel to good about trying to convince someone into my contract. 

any advice as I post the story to Facebook, and Instagram and junk?   Should I be using those hashtag things? Which ones would work best?

0 Kudos

No advice from anyone?  What does Shaw support think?

Sadman
Grasshopper

No advice from anyone?  What does Shaw support think?

0 Kudos

Still looking for advice with my conundrum

Sadman
Grasshopper

Still looking for advice with my conundrum 

0 Kudos

-- still looking for advice 1. Small Claims Court 2. BC H...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Sadman -- still looking for advice

1. Small Claims Court

2. BC Housing

3. While reading this message, scroll-down and click "Your Voice" to make an official report to Shaw.

0 Kudos

Thanks.   The post once shared has already drawn the atte...

Sadman
Grasshopper

Thanks.   The post once shared has already drawn the attention of one local news sites.  Just taking down info now as they requested ☺️

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help