Not getting IPv4 address

bobbyocto
Grasshopper

Hi, As of 11am yesterday, after working perfectly fine at the new location for more than a month, my devices connected thru the Shaw 600mbps modem are not getting an IPv4 address. However, they seem to be getting an IPv6 address which is largely useless it seems. So im thinking it might be an issue on Shaw's end rather than a technical issue with the modem. The modem btw is one of those tall black ones with two ethernet ports in the back, no brand or model number on them. I tried connecting a computer directly into the modem, same issue, no ipv4 ip, dns or gateway from the shaw dhcp server, but its getting am ipv6.  This after rebooting the modem myself a few times, and also by the chat support tech as well.

Shaw support has booked a tech for Tuesday however thats a lot of time to go without internet especially considering wekends are the busiest for ebay sales.

Hoping someone can come up with a solution that doesnt require a tech

Labels (1)
7 Replies

-- Experiment: Power-off your computer. Power-off your B...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bobbyocto -- Experiment:

1. Power-off your computer.
  2. Power-off your BlueCurve (two LAN ports) cable-modem, by disconnecting the power-cord.
  3. Wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect the BlueCurve's power-cord, and wait for it to completely restart.
  4. Power-on your computer, and see if you get an IP-address.

0 Kudos

I had done it a few times, but, for the sake of the exper...

bobbyocto
Grasshopper

I had done it a few times, but, for the sake of the experiment, I did it one more time. White light comes on solid, but still no IP

Also, i tried one more thing, and disconnected the cable splitter that goes to the phone modem, and connected the Bluecurve directly into the wall. Same thing, whitr light goes solid but no IP

Whats intersting is that the computer thats connected directly into one of the ethernet ports in the back thinks it has internet connection, however clicking on details, quickly reveals it getting no IPv4 addresses, dns or gateway. Only IPv6. Whats even more interesting is that certain notifications, for facebook messaging thru chrome for example, do work. These are probably notifications that work thru something other than TCP/IP. 

0 Kudos

Hoping this has already been sorted out for you!

shaw-ada

@bobbyocto Hoping this has already been sorted out for you! 

0 Kudos

-- What's interesting is that the computer thats connecte...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@bobbyocto -- What's interesting is that the computer thats connected directly into one of the ethernet ports in the back thinks it has internet connection

No, what it is reporting is a "closed-loop" of signals between your computer's network adapter and the network-adapter inside the cable-modem.

> clicking on details, quickly reveals it getting no IPv4 addresses, dns or gateway.

It is strange that your computer is not getting any DHCP-response to the DHCP-request that it sends to the cable-modem. The response should include an IPv4-address, the IP-address of a DNS-server, and the IP-address of the gateway.

Can you try to connect (wired or wireless) a different computer to your cable-modem? If that also fails, power-off the cable-modem, wait a few seconds, power-on the cable-modem, let it restart, and retry to get an IP-address. If it still fails, you should contact Shaw, and get them to replace the cable-modem.

Or, do you have any "Internet Security" software product on your computer? Its "firewall" may be blocking the outgoing DHCP-requests, or the incoming DHCP-responses. That's another reason to try a different computer -- one that does not have the same product installed.

Does your computer have the correct date/time/timezone?  If not correct, the DHCP-response may be ignored by your computer, because its timestamps are "out-of-range".

> What's even more interesting is that certain notifications, for facebook messaging thru chrome for example, do work. These are probably notifications that work thru something other than TCP/IP. 

No. The packets (IPv4 or IPv6) use IP ("Internet Protocol"). TCP ("Transmission Control Protocol") exists to ensure that each packet that is sent (or retransmitted if necessary) is received, and that the IP packets are received in the correct sequence.

It is possible that "something" is filtering some packets (packets intended for your web-browsing) so that you cannot access web-sites, while "allowing" packets that use other "ports" (Email, and, maybe, "Facebook Messaging").  Filtering "inside" your cable-modem? Filtering inside that "Internet Security" software?

0 Kudos

Hello. Didnt mean to hijacked your thread but did you abl...

JcKobeLiam
Grasshopper

Hello. Didnt mean to hijacked your thread but did you able to fix your issue? Im having exact issue like yours. I had two modem replacement and issut still occurs

0 Kudos

Yes, the problem was fixed with a modem replacement. No i...

bobbyocto
Grasshopper

Yes, the problem was fixed with a modem replacement. No issues since ...

0 Kudos

Glad to hear that. I got a tech coming tomorrow and hopef...

JcKobeLiam
Grasshopper

Glad to hear that. I got a tech coming tomorrow and hopefully he fix the issue. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help