not receiving some emails

reillywood
Grasshopper

I have two shaw.ca email accounts.  I can receive an email from someone outside shaw on one address but not the other.  It doesn't show up in junk.  I don't have any rule that handles it automatically.  I don't appear to have this problem with any other email (but now I'm worried I might).  The sender doesn't appear to have this problem with any other recipient (but who knows, maybe that's where the problem lies).

Any suggestions on how to debug/resolve are greatly appreciated.

Rob

(edit1) P.S.  My config, if it matters:

1. I use a PC/mobile client to access my emails, via an IMAP setup

2. I have Thunderbird on two computers and Bluemail on my phone

3. I've checked all of them and don't find the "lost" email

(edit2) P.P.S I also checked the webmail client and no email there, either, so I guess its more likely that the problem is with the sender.

Labels (1)
25 Replies

Re: not receiving some emails

shaw-tamara

Hi  

That's definitely a bit odd! Just curious, are they the exact same emails being sent to both addresses? 

0 Kudos

reillywood
Grasshopper

Yes.  Once we discovered the problem with one email, he sent me a subsequent email to both addresses.  Only one came through.

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

Thanks!  It's definitely weird that it's being received at one and not the other. If you send him a test email from the account where it's not being received and have him reply to that message, do you receive his reply?

0 Kudos

reillywood
Grasshopper

Nope.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

0 Kudos

reillywood
Grasshopper

I think I figured it out.  I didn't realize that I had the Shaw Spam filter (in webmail preferances) set to "delete immediately" on this email account.  No idea if I set that long ago or it's the default.  The other email had it set to "move to junk" (though it doesn't get moved to junk, but that's a lesser issue).

I'm testing.  Will report back if that's not the problem.

reillywood
Grasshopper

That apparently was the problem.  I can now receive emails from this external address to the troubled shaw address.  

Makes me wonder how many emails I've lost over the years.

So now, how do I get or ask Shaw to stop flagging this as spam/junk?  I'd not care much except that I think replies to flagged emails get trashed by Shaw.  I BCC myself and these BCCs are not showing up in my inbox; they only appear if I send a fresh email.

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

There might be something in the content of the email that is triggering the spam filters. Is the email from a mailing list or a personal email directed only to you?

0 Kudos

reillywood
Grasshopper

It's a personal (business) email directed only to me (and to another email address of mine in some test cases).

The content looks pretty benign.  I can forward it to you if you would like to see it.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

since you have updated your settings to not delete any spam immediately, you should also be able to set up email filters so it moves the content into your inbox. You should be able to do that with the steps here. Let me know how it goes!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help