All I can reply to this is that I wish that had been expl...

Whistlerwilly
Grasshopper

All I can reply to this is that I wish that had been explained before we signed up for your internet. I didn’t think to ask that specific question as I guessed it would be the same only faster. When we were with Telus it was very easy to port forward to any number we wanted, even with their Telus 75. Now after the fact, I learn on your support forum that it is not my problem but Rogers and that many people have the same problem. After spending many hours on the phone with support, during which time I seemed to know more than some of the support people I spoke to, they told me “Sorry there is nothing we can do” which was an extremely unsatisfying answer. I hope Rogers can come up with a solution for this. We transferred our mobiles and internet to Rogers after remaining loyal to Telus (formerly AGT when we joined) to you but now I am thinking that decision might not be the best. We have been with Shaw Direct since around 1999 for our satellite tv so decided to bundle our services with you.

0 Kudos

wrote: Now after the fact, I learn on your support forum...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Whistlerwilly wrote: Now after the fact, I learn on your support forum that it is not my problem but Rogers and that many people have the same problem. After spending many hours on the phone with support, during which time I seemed to know more than some of the support people I spoke to, they told me “Sorry there is nothing we can do” which was an extremely unsatisfying answer. I hope Rogers can come up with a solution for this. 

Every company, including Telus/Bell/Rogers/Shaw,  has limits on the amount of support that they can provide with "customer-provided-equipment".

Yes, the front-line employees at Shaw/Rogers are trained for the systems that Shaw/Rogers provides to its customers, and not beyond that level.  On the other hand, an "independent consultant", such as the owner/operator of a Mom&Pop store, will have much-broader knowledge in many software and/or hardware areas.  I would not trust any first-level employee to make any hardware changes (clone disk-drive, add RAM, upgrade video) -- it is "out of scope" for their training.

So, "sorry, there is nothing we can do" is the result of their training. Obviously. due to COVID, Shaw has had turn-over of employees, and difficulty filling the positions, and problems training each new hire.  Every other business has had the same issues, including Rogers.

Finally, Rogers is laying-off some Shaw employees. See below.

That may reduce the level of service that Rogers can provide to you. 

I recommend that you hire an independent consultant to do a proper setup to match your needs. Write a contract on what services you need, so that they would get paid only when meeting the terms of the contract.

===================

Layoff follows merger

The layoffs follow on the heels of Rogers’ acquisition of Shaw Communications for $20 billion — the largest takeover in Canadian telecom history to date.

The merger, which was approved by the federal government on March 31, contained a number of conditions for Rogers, and required Shaw to sell Freedom Mobile to Videotron for over $2.8 billion.

Other big names shedding staff

The job cuts at Rogers come amid a flurry of layoffs in 2023.

Several major North American companies, including BMOLoblawRitualSuncor EnergyMetaLinkedIn, and Hudson’s Bay, are significantly scaling back their staffing levels as they continue to navigate challenging economic conditions.

0 Kudos

I’m not sure what you mean by “customer provided equipmen...

Whistlerwilly
Grasshopper

I’m not sure what you mean by “customer provided equipment” as I was asking about port forwarding regarding the modem provided by Rogers and not one I had.  I now know it is not possible with the one I got from Rogers with which many others have also had the same problem. Thank you for your replies though.

0 Kudos

-- the term "customer provided equipment" is anything not...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Whistlerwilly -- the term "customer provided equipment" is anything not provided by the company.

Shaw/Rogers supplies the cable-modem & the set-top TV box, and supports these devices.

You, as the customer, supply your own third-party router, and Shaw/Rogers Support cannot possibly be trained to handle every different router (Asus? Linksys? et cetera) that a consumer can purchase.  Fortunately, companies like Asus have their own technical support department, if you have purchased an Asus router.

Shaw/Rogers supports "bridging" of their cable-modems, but you, or the manufacturer, or an independent consultant are the sources of support for your third-party router.

0 Kudos

The only modem I have is the one provided by Rogers, whic...

Whistlerwilly
Grasshopper

The only modem I have is the one provided by Rogers, which I thought my previous reply indicated.  I have no other one! My Rogers modem provided is the one I talked to support about. I have my answer.  It is not possible. The only way around it is too bridge one IF I decide to buy my own or pay more for 1.5 G internet and then I could get one that will work. My point was I wish I had known all this before I decided to sign up for this and might have made a different decision. In reading on your forum I am aware that I am not the only person who has experienced this frustration. Lesson learned to not assume all modems and service are created equal. I have the information I need now. Thank you.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help