It's not right and the program I'm trying to connect to i...

drukes1234
Grasshopper

It's not right and the program I'm trying to connect to it doesn't connect because it isn't right

0 Kudos

-- what is the 172.0.0.1 that I was given ? Is that a "ty...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@drukes1234 -- what is the 172.0.0.1 that I was given ?

Is that a "typo" ?  You previously mentioned "127.0.0.1", and I explained that this is the "loopback" IP-address that is used when a TCP/IP-using "client" task on any computer wants to interact with a TCP/IP-using "server" task on the same computer. The software on the computer "bridges" the communications between the "client" and the "server" task -- the IP-packets are never sent out to the network adapter on the computer. The IP-packets just "loop back".

> 10.0.0.172 cannot be right 

All the IP-addresses assigned to your computers on your private network are assigned "10.0.0.xxx" IP-addresses by the BlueCurve's DHCP-server. From a computer inside your network, logon to "10.0.0.1" and view the table of IP-addresses and computer-names that are active.

What "service" running on your "10.0.0.172" computer do you want to be accessible from computers on the Internet? A game-server? A file-server?

0 Kudos

Yes sorry typo, 127.0.0.1 - i have a program for equity t...

drukes1234
Grasshopper

Yes sorry typo, 127.0.0.1 - i have a program for equity trading that connects to my broker and it has to do so via tcp/ip but the program cannot connect when i put 10.0.0.172 as the address to connect to. The iteration that works, when I first port forwarded a month ago, connects via 127.0.0.1 just fine and that was the address shaw gave when I port forwarded. I'm not sure what address I should be putting in the software to have it connect. 

0 Kudos

-- I need an IP address to have my program connect to  An...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@drukes1234 -- I need an IP address to have my program connect to 

Any computer on the public Internet network that wants to connect to a specific service on a specific computer inside your private network needs to know the "public" IP-address that Shaw has assigned to your BlueCurve device, plus the port-number of the service that your specific computer is configured to "listen" to.  Then, you must configure "port-forwarding" on the BlueCurve, to allow traffic on that specific port to be routed to the private IP-address of a specific computer inside your network.

The easiest way to find the public IP-address is to access the www.who.is website. It will display Your IP address is aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

Compare to trying to visit a lawyer who rents some office-space inside a commercial building. You need to know the street-address of the building (the public IP-address), and you need to know the lawyer's office-number (the port), and you must convince the security-guard at the entrance to the building (the BlueCurve) that you want to visit ONLY the lawyer's office. Get the wrong street-address, and you'll never reach the lawyer's building. Get the wrong office-number, and you'll never reach the lawyer.

0 Kudos

Thanks, I'm sorry for the stupid questions but then why i...

drukes1234
Grasshopper

Thanks, I'm sorry for the stupid questions but then why is the first iteration when I tried this connecting to 127.0.0.1 and not my public IP address?

0 Kudos

-- i have a program for equity trading that connects to m...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@drukes1234 -- i have a program for equity trading that connects to my broker, and it has to do so via tcp/ip but the program cannot connect when i put 10.0.0.172 as the address to connect to.

If that program is running on your computer, you don't need any port-forwarding at all.

Compare to using a web-browser to access the broker's company web-site -- you initiate the dialogue, and the BlueCurve sends your IP-packets to that web-site, the web-site sends its responses to the "public" IP-address of your BlueCurve, and the BlueCurve recognizes (through NAT -- Network Address Translation) that the incoming traffic is the expected response to the IP-packets that you sent, and your web-browser receives the information from the broker's web-site.

You need port-forwarding only when you are running some "service" on a specific computer inside your private network, and you want some computer on the public Internet to initiate the dialogue with your computer. Compare to you trying to initiate a visit to your lawyer's office -- you need the street-address, and you need to know the office-number, and you need to get through the security-guard at the building's entrance.

Maybe, you need to talk to the broker's technical support department, to correctly configure your equity-trading program. You need to configure the program on your computer to connect to a public IP-address supplied by your broker's technical support staff, not to a "private" IP-address inside your network.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help