Really Disappointed.

Rocketcoffin
Grasshopper

The modem provided for 600mbps + internet is bad hardware.
I've been in contact with Shaw multiple times about poor Wi-fi speeds. And now the extreme fan noise coming from the modem. 
Their answer always seems to be deal with it. 
No concern about my experience, and seems through looking through these message boards I'm not the only one. 
Telling me that my fan is only running at 70% and 80% is the magic number is bad customer service. This thing is so loud, I want to unplug it. 
Getting tired of the Slow speeds, Loud modems and poor customer service. 

Labels (1)
13 Replies

-- you are not the first person to post to this forum abo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Rocketcoffin -- you are not the first person to post to this forum about the noise from the BlueCurve cable-modem.

Some contributors have received a replacement (same model, different serial-number) that is quieter.

If you want to downgrade to 300 Mbps download (and 15 Mbps upload), and if Shaw still has any Hitron cable-modems, the Hitron is quiet.  (How many web-sites can "push" data out to you at between 300 and 600 Mbps? Probably not many. Of course, you might have multiple "working-from-home" people that might benefit, in the aggregate, from having 600/100 speeds.)

Note that Shaw Business customers get a fan-less Hitron modem that can do 1000/100.  It's a different model than what a Shaw Residential customer gets.

Or, note that Shaw is slowly rolling-out the new "XB7" modem, which is supposed to be quieter.

As for your WiFi speeds, what WiFi network adapter(s) do you have? Wireless N (up to 150 Mbps) or Wireless AC (up to 1200 Mbps)? Are you connecting via the 2.4 Ghz band or the 5.0 Ghz band? How many other WiFi networks (from other Telus/Shaw WiFi customers) are in range, to cause network interference?

I was told by Shaw support that once upgraded to Gigabit...

tc10
Grasshopper

I was told by Shaw support that once upgraded to Gigabit XB7 that we cannot downgraded to 300 Mbps Hitron?  

Can someone Please clarify whether downgrade is possible
I am waiting a few more days but so far my Hitron was better than this new XB7.

I was getting 5 Ghz wifi speeds of 220-280 Mbps most of the time with my Hitron (for past 2+ years) and so far with XB7, often 100-150 Mbps or less.

0 Kudos

I believe that is correct. You could try turning off band...

rstra
Grand Master

@tc10 I believe that is correct.

You could try turning off band steering and seeing if directly connecting to the 5ghz network improves your speed.

0 Kudos

-- I was told by Shaw support that once upgraded to Gigab...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tc10 -- I was told by Shaw support that once upgraded to Gigabit XB7 that we cannot downgraded to 300 Mbps Hitron?  Can someone Please clarify whether downgrade is possible. 

It is my impression that Shaw is reserving their inventory of Hitron devices for new customers with "Fibre+ 150" or slower speeds.

> I am waiting a few more days, but so far my Hitron was better than this new XB7.

Supposedly, the XB7 "learns" where your WiFi-enable device is physically located, and will concentrate its signal-strength in that direction. How fast it "learns", I do not know.

You could contact Shaw, and ask the Shaw Agent to remotely logon to the BlueCurve, to view and interpret the various measurements that the modem records, including "signal-strength". Some participants on this forum have indicated that the XB6 and XB7 are more sensitive to poor signal-strength than the Hitron.

Is your XB7 just as quiet as the Hitron was? The XB6's fan was notoriously noisy.

What speed do you get, via Shaw Speed Test, when you use an Ethernet cable to connect to a desktop/notebook computer?

0 Kudos

Contact Shaw and confirm you setup is provisioned properl...

rickatk
Master

@Rocketcoffin Contact Shaw and confirm you setup is provisioned properly. As them to re-provision, they will do a few things on their end.

0 Kudos

UPDATE.  After 1 more phone call like the one above they...

Rocketcoffin
Grasshopper

UPDATE. 
After 1 more phone call like the one above they (reluctantly) made an appointment to send a tech to come listen to my modem. Weird right. 
I had to change the appointment and was really just going to cancel it because they hadn’t seemed to concerned and didn’t want to waste my day. But, while on the phone canceling the operator (who was extremely nice and helpful) told me that I really need to reschedule because it showed several occurrences of overheating on their end. 
WHAT??!!  (this is what I’d been saying the whole time but was told it wasn’t “overheating enough”)

The Technician came. Didn’t listen to anything. He changed the Modem. 
PROBLEM SOLVED. 

haven’t heard the fan accelerate once. 

0 Kudos

Shaw can remotely login to BlueCurve modem? They did not...

tc10
Grasshopper

Shaw can remotely login to BlueCurve modem?  They did not mention or offer this to me? 🤔
They said everything looks fine to them and that it is an Apple issue... 

On my 2019 Macbook Pro with ethernet connected, my speed is 900+ down & 95+ up.
At the same time, on wifi my speed is 100-400 down & 60+ up.
and 

my 2021 iPad Pro on wifi is 900+ down & 95+ up
my 2020 iPhone SE2020 is 900+ down & 95+ up.

I am wondering if the Ookla Speedtest is not working properly??

My XB7 is very quiet BUT HOT.  I have never heard a fan on it.???
I told Shaw on Friday that my Shaw Speedtest was 60-110 down & 40-70 up, and they seem to have taken their Shaw Speedtest offline. It has not been available Yesterday or today??

I have screen prints of all of the speed tests.   The Fast.com test is not working either. I just rant it and it shows as 49 Mbps.

My Hitron 300 had very good performance for 2-3 years except for some intermittent 2.4 GHz wifi upload challenges for my Nestcam.

I got quite stressed about this for awhile but now just want some help to get it fixed.  My Xb7 seems to periodically stop working. I have had to unplug 3 times today to get back up.  I very seldom had to do this with my Hitron 300.

Oh well. 

0 Kudos

-- On my 2019 Macbook Pro with ethernet connected, my spe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tc10 -- On my 2019 Macbook Pro with ethernet connected, my speed is 900+ down & 95+ up.

If you are subscribed to "Fibre+ Gig" or "Fibre+ Gig 1.5", the maximum is 940 for download, and 100 for upload. So, you are getting what you should get.

> At  the same time, on wifi my speed is 100-400 down & 60+ up.

Not all WiFi adapters are identical. A "Wireless N" adapter gives 150 Mbps for download, but if two channels are "bonded", you could get 300 to 400 Mbps for download.  Your subscription should give up to 100 Mbps for upload.

> my 2021 iPad Pro on wifi is 900+ down & 95+ up

> my 2020 iPhone SE2020 is 900+ down & 95+ up.

Both devices must have the newer "Wireless AC" or "Wireless AX" adapters. They are capable of the speeds you have observed.

> I am wondering if the Ookla Speedtest is not working properly?? [on Friday]

Today [Monday] at this time, the Shaw Speedtest is showing a message that the service is "offline".

Spit happens.

0 Kudos

My 2019 Macbook Pro does have Wireless AC, my older 2013...

tc10
Grasshopper

My 2019 Macbook Pro does have Wireless AC, my older 2013 Macbook Pro only has Wireless N.

If anyone else has a newer Macbook Pro with Wireless AC can you check your speedtest results on Ookla or Shaw and post them for comparison.Thanks.

This morning my 2019 MacBook Pro is still showing about 100 down where as with my older Shaw Hitron 300 was almost always near 300 down.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help