Regarding my internet price

CoffeeLover909
Grasshopper

Hi I need advice right now I pay $110 (minus $10) for Fibre +750 I use it mostly for streaming on my tablet YouTube & Netflix & Tubi TV & Prime Video….plus some web browser on social media stuff….my agreement ends in November of 2022…is the monthly price I’m paying now worth it….do I need less internet speed or go to Fibre & Essentials or Fibre & Basics? I’m just curious 

Labels (2)
2 Replies

-- How many computers/devices on your home network are si...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@CoffeeLover909 -- How many computers/devices on your home network are simultaneously downloading from the Internet ?

Experiment: while watching any stream, open the Windows Task Manager, and click to the "Performance" tab, and click on the network adapter. You probably will see that you are receiving at between 5 and 10 Mbits/second -- definitely not the 750 Mbps rate.  So, at the end of your current two-year Value Plan, you could save $5 to $10 per month, by downgrading the speed.

Note that if you use Zoom or Skype or Microsoft Teams and your webcam is sending video out to the Internet, that could be a few Mbps. So, don't downgrade too far, or else your video will be "choppy" to the others viewing your camera's output.

Are you in a region where Shaw has rolled-out 100 Mbps for upload speed? If so, a downgrade to 300 download, with 100 upload, should be fine. If you're not in that region, you could be limited to 25 Mbps upload.  Run a Shaw Speed Test, to see your current upload speed.

0 Kudos

If it is just you on your tablet and using streaming serv...

rstra
Grand Master

If it is just you on your tablet and using streaming service, then you could certainly downgrade your plan. You have to look at how much data you use, all plans from Fibre 150 and up have unlimited data, Fibre 75 has 500GB data. 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help