Rogers / Shaw email account and VPN or Travel Abroad.

Rick_in_PoMo
Grasshopper

I previously posted this in Rogers forum but was suggested to post in Shaw forum

In 2023, I visited the Greek Islands and when trying to check my Shaw email and found it locked. This is a very annoying problem and I could not get this resolved until I got back to Canada. This is something that Rogers / Shaw should sort out so it doesn't happen. So, what are the solutions?

1. I didn't know that users should have a non Rogers / Shaw email so they could be contacted in the case email was locked. Maybe a note on both Internet and mobile bills should state "Using a VPN or going abroad? Please let us know".

2. Maybe Rogers should not lock emails or the account. G.mail does not lock email.

Or, if there is a robust password for the email don't lock the emails or account.

Or, maybe users agree with Rogers to not lock their emails or account.

Or, account holder contact Rogers in advance of an overseas visit so that log-in from an abroad IP address is expected. This would save Rogers agents considerable time compared to sorting out locked email and account problems.

Thoughts, Shaw?

Labels (1)
6 Replies

what did you have to do to resolve this problem when you...

rstra
Grand Master

@Rick_in_PoMo  what did you have to do to resolve this problem when you got back to Canada? I have travelled a lot outside of Canada and my email has never been “locked”

0 Kudos

Hi rstra, I had to phone up Shaw support to get unlocked.

Rick_in_PoMo
Grasshopper

Hi rstra,

I had to phone up Shaw support to get unlocked.

0 Kudos

We had our shaw email accounts locked while in Europe....

tcoape-arnold
Grasshopper

We had our shaw email accounts locked while in Europe.   Something to do with protecting their servers.  Great way to treat customers....worst ever.

0 Kudos

Hi. Once your email is locked you really have only two op...

tcoape-arnold
Grasshopper

Hi. Once your email is locked you really have only two options:   phone shaw from overseas which I couldn't do because I didn't have an overseas cell, or use their Internet chat service which I did use.  After going through three chat operators that knew absolutely zero about the issue I eventually got someone familiar with the issue.   The only solution was for them to reopen the account via an email to my Google account.  Always have a backup non-isp email account when traveling overseas.   What a dumb hassle.   Apparently shaw servers have algorithms that stop suspicious logins or activity......but regular customers?   Really shaw you can do better!

0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply. It is an annoying problem. To make...

Rick_in_PoMo
Grasshopper

Thanks for your reply. It is an annoying problem. To make matters worse, the rescue email was one of my Shaw email accounts which was blocked instead of my G-mail. I tried to chat by WhatsApp, but I was off an island in Greece and cellphone reception was difficult.

I note that Shaw have not replied to any of my suggestions. There really is no reason this should happen. At least my G-mail kept working.

0 Kudos

wrote:  I didn't have an overseas cell See: https://www.c...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@tcoape-arnold wrote:  I didn't have an overseas cell

See: https://www.canada.ca/en/contact/international.html

For example, if you are in New Zealand or Norway, dial "00" then "888-472-2222" to bypass those countries "domestic" telephone systems, and make an "overseas" call to Shaw Support.

Some mobile-phones allow you instead to dial "+1"  before the "888" number. The device will determine "how" to connect, depending on where in the world you are calling from.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help