Jump to solution

Setting "Static IP" for device failing

niemandr
Grasshopper

I am trying to set a static IP Address for my one server at home - I am using the ARRIS TG3482G router and have successfully done this for a lot of other devices on the network. For some reason the highlighted device below will not take.

I have tried the following:

1. Assigned my desired IP Address
  2. Assigning the current IP Address (one assigned by the gateway)
  3. Removing all previous devices from the network (using the cruddy app)
  4. Restarting the router and my device
  5. Manually assigning the desired IP Address to the device before trying in the router UI

This usually would not be a problem, but Shaw has removed the ability to manually manage port forwarding with the new firmware (who made that decision - seriously).

So when trying to add a port forward to the device like so:

I end up with the following - useless mapping:

Whereas the server has an IP Address of 10.0.0.53 assigned and the router is trying to assign it 10.0.0.96.

What gives, and how do I work around this app - or better yet how do I downgrade the firmware so I can manually manage my port forwarding.

Yes - I tried contacting support about this and they said that it's beyond their scope and I need to turn to the forms for assistance.

Shaw - why did you remove this feature - it's such a pain!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Re: Setting "Static IP" for device failing

guchsingh
Grasshopper

Hi. In the screenshot of the admin GUI, it appears 'rn-hass' is set to DHCP instead of Reserved IP.  Can you confirm that it is in fact set the reserve IP to either 10.0.0.53 or .96?

Once you've confirmed that, there could be a delay in the BlueCurve app updating to the correct IP for rn-hass. It should update to the correct IP address soon and sometimes doing something like playing a YouTube video to generate some usage can help.  

If after that, the IP address does not update allowing you to set the port forward rule, you can restore access to the Admin GUI port forward settings by doing a factory reset.  You can do this by first logging out and closing the app, and then do a factory reset from the Admin GUI (Troubleshooting menu, Reset/Restore Gateway, 'Restore Factory Settings'), it should restore the ability to set the port forwarding rules to your liking.  You'll have to setup your WiFi SSID and password again as well.  Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Jump to solution

shaw-tony

Hey niemandr,

Thank you for your feedback, any changes to the firmware are made from the manufacturer. The modem can certainly be bridged so you may use a 3rd party router with more control and settings. As for the static IP, we do offer this service with a business account. All residential accounts will receive a dynamic IP.

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

niemandr
Grasshopper

Hi shaw-tony

Fair point on the firmware being controlled externally, however Shaw does do additional customization to the released firmware to fit in with their infrastructure and to add additional branding / features as shown below.

I am not looking for a static IP Address at all (I can do this through FreeDNS or GoDaddy) I am trying to assign a static IP Address to a device on my local network (private 10.x range) so I can forward a port to allow external access to a service on the box. Prior to the new firmware (before the companion app) I could do this with no issue through the routers UI - now there is no option to do this as shown above.

I need some form of work around for this, or perhaps the option to manually manage port forwarding on the router through the native UI rather than the app which is super limiting (I suppose by design) - personally I do not want to go out and purchase a Mikrotik or Ubiquiti to do something that this router is quiet capable of doing (and was prior).

Richard

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

shaw-tony

I am sorry for any frustrations this may have caused. At this time, I don't have any details to if/when advanced features on the app will be available. I will pass your feedback and inquiry along to our engineering team to review.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

niemandr
Grasshopper

Thanks - I suppose that's all I can hope for right now.

Before I spend $$ on a Mikrotik hAp I will configure my network how I want it (static IP's manually assigned) and run a factory settings restore on the router to see if it will allow me to reserve the addresses that way, failing that I will need to put the ARRIS router into bridge mode and use a Mikrotik to manage www access and the simple networking features I need. Perhaps Shaw can chip in here seeing this "feature" is missing

Jump to solution

guchsingh
Grasshopper

Hi. In the screenshot of the admin GUI, it appears 'rn-hass' is set to DHCP instead of Reserved IP.  Can you confirm that it is in fact set the reserve IP to either 10.0.0.53 or .96?

Once you've confirmed that, there could be a delay in the BlueCurve app updating to the correct IP for rn-hass. It should update to the correct IP address soon and sometimes doing something like playing a YouTube video to generate some usage can help.  

If after that, the IP address does not update allowing you to set the port forward rule, you can restore access to the Admin GUI port forward settings by doing a factory reset.  You can do this by first logging out and closing the app, and then do a factory reset from the Admin GUI (Troubleshooting menu, Reset/Restore Gateway, 'Restore Factory Settings'), it should restore the ability to set the port forwarding rules to your liking.  You'll have to setup your WiFi SSID and password again as well.  Hope this helps. 

Jump to solution

niemandr
Grasshopper

Hi guchsingh

To answer your question, the IP Address for 'rn-hass' needs to be static and set to 10.0.0.53 - I am struggling to get the router to set the static IP Address to 'rn-hass' - no matter what I do in the UI it will not assign the static IP Address, I have tried:

1. Removing all old entries for the server
  2. Checking that no other device has the IP Address (10.0.0.53)
  3. Manually assigning the IP Address on the server (see my blog post)
  4. Rebooting the router and trying to assign the IP Address
  5. Double checked for any MAC Address collisions
  6. Check for, and released any leases to the IP Address
  7. Swearing at the device.

No matter what I try the router will not allow me to configure the device to have a Static Address.

As it stands the computer 'rn-hass' has a manually assigned IP Address of 10.0.0.53 and an DHCP assigned address of 10.0.0.96 (from the router) and is accepting communication on the 53 address.

I am almost at the point where I am willing to do a factory reset of the router, but its such a pain to reconfigure all my IoT devices, SBC's, Phones, etc. so I have been putting it off.

How sure are you that doing a factory reset will allow me to manually manage my router?

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

guchsingh
Grasshopper

Can you try set a reserved IP on another device, like a smartphone or something?  Just to narrow down if its something specific to the Gateway not setting the reserved IP's in general or is it something unique to rn-hass

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

niemandr
Grasshopper

Hi All

So after a lot of hair pulling I finally gave in and ran a factory reset on the router (after logging out of the compoanion app on my mobile device as suggested). After reconfiguring the WiFi etc. I headed over to the Advanced section for the router and was presented with the original (more useful) management options once again!!

Thanks to everyone for the help, I do find it a bit frustrating though that I had to restore the router to get the old functionality back, ideally you should allow for both methods to be useable when running the companion app as I am sure it will save a lot of headache for other semi-advanced users.

It is working now, so I am happy!

Jump to solution

Hey niemandr,   Before I go through the same stress of a...

Tylertj97
Grasshopper

Hey niemandr,

Before I go through the same stress of a factory reset, I just wanted to ask if you're using the new BlueCurve Gateway or one of Shaw's older pieces of hardware. And additionally, how did you manage to prevent any firmware updates from undoing your factory reset? I have recently moved and upgraded from the Hitron router, with at least a dozen port forwarding rules, to the new BlueCurve Gateway, which doesn't even recognize my Xbox is available for port forwarding!

Finally, I wanted to support you in your questioning of why couldn't there just be an "Advanced" or "Admin" mode on that page that says "Go use the app, but if you know what you're doing, here you go."

Thanks in advance!

Tyler

TALK TO US
We're here to help