Jump to solution

Severe and consistent latency spikes

CWLind
Grasshopper

This isn't a new issue, I've had this problem for a couple years. My connection speeds are fine and I don't get disconnected often but my latency is servery unstable and the extreme jitter I get makes any real-time latency demanding program or game nearly unusable. My plan is BASIC Internet 300 and I have the Technicolor DPC3848V gateway modem (from 2014). Below are some tests I've done and things I've tried to resolve it on my own

Test condition:

• 1 computer connected via 5ft CAT6e cable (manual DHCP IP reservation + DMZ)

• All extra services on gateway disabled (2.4ghz/5ghz wireless, WPS, UPNP, firewall)

• All processes/services that rely on network connectivity on Windows that could be reasonably killed/stopped

• Only IPv4 service selected within the network adapter properties

• Tests done one at a time and with the network as idle as it could be

Test results:

• Connected to Shaw's network: https://imgur.com/a/mJiBOQl

• Connected to VPN's network (Vancouver server): https://imgur.com/a/hLug5wk

• Latency test to the gateway itself: https://i.imgur.com/BagqFZV.png

Things I've tried:

• Replacing coaxial cable

• CAT5e, CAT6, CAT6e cables of varying lengths

• Every ethernet port on the gateway

• Restore to factory settings

• 30-30-30 reset

• Different network adapters and drivers

• Different DNS servers (not that it matters)

• Asking Shaw for a gateway replacement (requested 3 times over the last 2 years, no replacement received)

It doesn't seem to matter which computer/device I use, what settings I've configured, my network setup, or the time of day/night. It is a consistent problem and nothing I can reasonably do client-side has resolved the issue. VPN does help a bit but the problem is definitely still there. I've also had issues with very slow navigation within the modem configuration pages (after running for a while and after restarting it) as well as port forwarding not saving or displaying properly.

Please help

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

if you do not have packet loss, the most likely reasons f...

matt
Grasshopper

if you do not have packet loss, the most likely reasons for latency in a cable network are:

1. neighbourhood upstream congestion 

2. cable modem issue

Get a service call and they will swap your modem.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jump to solution

if you do not have packet loss, the most likely reasons f...

matt
Grasshopper

if you do not have packet loss, the most likely reasons for latency in a cable network are:

1. neighbourhood upstream congestion 

2. cable modem issue

Get a service call and they will swap your modem.

Jump to solution

Did you get this resolved? I am getting horrible latency...

Tr4ilerP4rk
Grasshopper

Did you get this resolved? I am getting horrible latency in online gaming. Averaging is about 72ms up to 98ms. When I do the speed tests with Ookla its showing 17ms. Driving me crazy 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Shaw's routing is screwed again and if you're out west li...

talios
Grasshopper

Shaw's routing is screwed again and if you're out west like me sending all your traffic east first; so for instance to a server in seattle it goes edmonton-calgary-winnipeg(?!?-)Minneapolis(!?) - Seattle. Which results in my usual ping to most game servers doubling or tripling. 

They also seem to have some issues going on in calgary because my traffic gets bounced around to 5 different IP's before leaving calgary; and my trace route latency to the first hop is 10-15 ms for the first 2; and 40-60 for the last. And hops between two IP's in presumably the same shaw DC (they're both shaw IP's) in calgary should not consistently be adding an average of 50 ms to my ping times to anywhere outside calgary...

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help