Shaw Blue Curve no longer supports "B" wireless protocol

Skyisthelimit
Grasshopper

Just thought I'd put out a PSA to Shaw customers as I've had a very frustrating experience with technical support. After I "upgraded" to Blue Curve I've been experiencing wi-fi connectivity issues with some of my devices. After countless hours of reaching out to a variety of companies (Fitbit, Sonos, Vivint) I have come to learn that "B" wireless protocol has been dropped by Shaw, although it's the oldest AND most common of the wireless protocols. So now after "upgrading" to Blue Curve, I now need to spend $$ to purchase new devices that have "G" or "N" wireless protocols (2.4ghz). Both times I contacted technical support it wasn't even on their radar that my connectivity issues were due to Shaw dropping "B". Only support I got from them was to go back to an "old" Shaw internet system. Thanks Shaw for taking my money and not providing any real tangible support. 

Labels (2)
17 Replies

802.11B may be the oldest protocol but it is hardly the m...

rstra
Grand Master

802.11B may be the oldest protocol but it is hardly the most common used. Can’t blame the TSRs for missing that one, most probably weren’t even born when 802.11b was adopted. 😀

> I now need to spend $$ to purchase new devices that hav...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I now need to spend $$ to purchase new devices that have "G" or "N" wireless protocols (2.4ghz).

That protocol maxes-out at 11 Megabits per second. Given that you have 300 Mbps coming into the BlueCurve, you have a definite "bottle-neck" through that adapter. 

You don't need to purchase a new computer, if your current device has an available USB port. For a few dollars, purchase a modern WiFi-to-USB external adapter, and disable the "onboard" WiFi adapter.

P.S. How old is the disk-drive in your current computer? Probably, its warranty expired several years ago, and, like a bald automobile-tire that still is semi-functional, the disk-drive should be replaced, before it "blows".  So, buying a new computer, with a faster processor, more RAM, Windows 10 (not XP/Vista/7),wireless "AC" adapter, and a solid-state disk-drive is a good investment.

It's not my computer that's the issue  - it's all my gadg...

Skyisthelimit
Grasshopper

It's not my computer that's the issue  - it's all my gadgets (Fitbit Aria and Sonos speakers). I can't sync them anymore because it requires 802.11b wireless network. Expensive lesson to learn. Always check the wireless network requirements. 

Haha! :-)  Fair point....it's surprising how many gadgets...

Skyisthelimit
Grasshopper

Haha! 🙂  Fair point....it's surprising how many gadgets still use 802.11b wireless network. 

Sonos has a good trade-up program, I think 30 percent off...

rstra
Grand Master

Sonos has a good trade-up program, I think 30 percent off. My Sonos One’s, Beam and even an old Bridge work on BlueCurve. Love the Sonos. 

Sonos is awesome! My Connect isn't working anymore (altho...

Skyisthelimit
Grasshopper

Sonos is awesome! My Connect isn't working anymore (although my one, three and five still are) and although the 30% off for the trade-up is a decent program, it's just always so frustrating when you invest $$ into any type of hardware and then a couple of years later it's no longer supported. It seems like you are continually investing in technology that becomes obsolete. 

0 Kudos

at what age/use is the cut off for not supporting technol...

dragonstone634
Grasshopper

at what age/use is the cut off for not supporting technology? Should shaw support internet 600 on windows 95 machines?

You should also get your own equipment, keep shaw out of your network.

0 Kudos

> I can't sync them anymore because it requires 802.11b w...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I can't sync them anymore because it requires 802.11b wireless network.

Given that your BlueCurve has two Ethernet ports, connect the "uplink" port of a "home" WiFi router to one of those two ports, and set an SSID/password for the WiFi adapter "inside" that home-router. Then, if that "home-router" supports "Wireless B", you will be able to connect your devices.

0 Kudos

Just upgraded to blue curve, sonos found me a work around...

Novicetech
Grasshopper

Just upgraded to blue curve, sonos found me a work around!  One sonos speaker needs to be connected to the gateway modem at all times.  Sonos tech formatted to allow it to connect with all other speakers.  

TALK TO US
We're here to help