Jump to solution

Shaw Bluecurve bridge mode and two ip addresses

Wolf2020
Grasshopper

Recently I changed my modem to a bluesky because they said I would be able to still have two ip addresses. Shaw keeps telling me I have two Ip Addresses but nothing I do work. They say once in bridge mode only one port on the back works. You really think it would be both so I could put both routers I own into each. That's not the case. I have tried putting a switch in ( despite thinking how does two ips go to this this way) and connected both routers to that switch. Yea that doesn't work. I have consumed 8 hours with support and nothing works. How do I know it doesn't work. When ever I am connected to either router I should not be able to make it back to the second router when I type it's ip address in a browser.  Has anyone been able to get this to work and do they know for certain it is two isolated ip addresses. AKA no routing between each of your own routers.  Thanks

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

this looks to be related to PRB0051453. I've sent your ac...

shaw-tony

@Wolf2020 this looks to be related to PRB0051453. I've sent your account details up to our engineering team to patch your modem. Once the patch is applied, a power reboot is required to get the 2nd IP enabled. Please power reset your modem after 48 hours.

View solution in original post

19 Replies
Jump to solution

-- Recently I changed my modem to a Bluesky (BlueCurve?)...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Wolf2020 -- Recently I changed my modem to a Bluesky (BlueCurve?) because they said I would be able to still have two IP-addresses. Shaw keeps telling me I have two Ip Addresses.

If your modem is in "normal" mode, then it obtains one "public" IP-address from Shaw, and it provides up to 250 "private" IP-addresses to wired/wireless devices in your home.  Those IP-addresses will be in the "10.0.0.xxx" range.

Connect one of your routers to one LAN port on the modem, and connect one computer to that router.

Use the Windows "IPCONFIG" command-line utility to view the IP-address given by the router to the computer. It should be something like "192.168.xxx.yyy".  One manufacturer of routers defaults "xxx" to zero, while a different manufacturer of routers defaults "xxx" to one. While logged-in the router, you can change the value to any number between 0 and 255, e.g., "69". After you do, the modem will restart, and you need to restart your computer. Again, use "IPCONFIG" to verify that the computer's IP-address is now "192.168.69.xxx".

Connect your other router to the other LAN port on the modem, and connect another computer to this router. If you have changed the first router to use "69", you do not need to change this router away from its default network.

At this point, any computer that you connect to either router will have Internet access, even though you are using just ONE "public" IP-address.

> They say once in bridge mode only one port on the back works.

There is a contradiction here -- if your modem is set to "bridged" mode, and if Shaw has provisioned your account with two "public" IP-addresses, then both ports on the BlueCurve will be able to obtain a "public" IP-address. If your modem is set to "bridged" mode, and if Shaw has provisioned your account with only one "public" IP-address, then only one port on the BlueCurve will be able to obtain a "public" IP-address.

You can check this:

• set the modem to "bridged" mode,
  • power-off all computers that were connected to the modem (wired or wirelessly),
  • disconnect all Ethernet cables that were connected to the modem,
  • power-off both your routers,
  • power-off the modem,
  • power-on the modem, and let it fully restart,
  • power-on one of your computers, and let it fully restart,
  • use an Ethernet cable to connect that computer to the modem,
  • use the Windows "IPCONFIG" command-line utility to view the IP-address now assigned to the computer. It should not be in the "192.168.xxx.yyy" range, nor in the "10.0.0.xxx" range -- it probably will start with "24", and your computer should have full Internet access.
  • power-on another of your computers, and let it fully restart,
  • use an Ethernet cable to connect that computer to the modem,
  • use the Windows "IPCONFIG" command-line utility to view the IP-address now assigned to this computer. It should not be in the "192.168.xxx.yyy" range, nor in the "10.0.0.xxx" range -- it probably will start with "24", and your computer should have full Internet access.
  • Are you "good" so far, with 2 computers (not 2 routers) connected to the modem?  If not, please explain.

PART TWO:

• leave the modem in "bridged" mode,
  • power-off all computers that were connected to the modem (wired or wirelessly),
  • disconnect all Ethernet cables that were connected to the modem,
  • power-off both your computers. If your routers are powered-on, power-off them,
  • power-off the modem,
  • power-on the modem, and let it fully restart,
  • power-on one of your routers, and let it fully restart,
  • use an Ethernet cable to connect that router to the modem,
  • power-on one of your computers, and use an Ethernet cable to connect it to a LAN port on the modem,
  • use the Windows command-line "IPCONFIG" command to view the "gateway" IP-address assigned to this computer,
  • using this "gateway" IP-address, logon to the router, and view the "WAN" IP-address that was assigned by Shaw to the router. It should be in the "24.xxx.yyy.zzz" range.
  • use the Windows "IPCONFIG" command-line utility to view the IP-address now assigned to the computer. It should be in the "192.168.xxx.yyy" range. Your computer should have full Internet access.
  • power-on your other router, and let it fully restart,
  • use an Ethernet cable to connect that router to the modem,
  • power-on another computer, and use an Ethernet cable to connect this computer to the modem,
  • use the Windows command-line "IPCONFIG" command to view the "gateway" IP-address assigned to this computer,
  • using this IP-address, logon to the router, and view the "WAN" IP-address that was assigned by Shaw to the router. It should be in the "24.xxx.yyy.zzz" range.
  • use the Windows "IPCONFIG" command-line utility to view the IP-address now assigned to this computer. It should be in the "192.168.xxx.yyy" range. Your computer should have full Internet access.
  • Are you "good" so far, with 2 routers connected to the modem?  If not, please explain

> I have tried putting a switch in ( despite thinking how does two ips go to this this way) and connected both routers to that switch.

A switch is just a switch. It can receive traffic for multiple IP-addresses on its "WAN" port, and it distributes the incoming traffic to just one of the LAN ports. Compare to a farmer starting with a basket-full of eggs, sorting the eggs into "small/medium/large" egg-crates. That is the only "routing" that the switch, or the farmer, does. IP-addresses enter the switch, and IP-addresses leave the switch. Incoming eggs get sorted.

> How do I know it doesn't work. Whenever I am connected to either router I should not be able to make it back to the second router when I type it's IP-address in a browser. 

That is incorrect. The traffic goes from one computer, through the first router, into the modem on one Ethernet cable, and is routed out from the modem onto the other Ethernet cable, to reach the "public" IP-address of the send router. So, using the "PING" command from a computer connected to the first router should be able to reach the second router, and the response to the PING will be returned to the computer.

Note that a computer connected to the first router will NOT be able to "PING" any computer connected to the second router, because the Shaw modem does not know how to route "through" the second router into the second computer.

> Has anyone been able to get this to work and do they know for certain it is two isolated IP addresses.

Since both routers have "public" IP-addresses, the two routers are not "isolated".

However, all the computers connected to the first router are isolated from all the computers connected to the second router.

Note that all your computers, because they are "behind" one of your routers, are isolated from any computer on the Internet. Further, note that any "incoming" IP-address to the modem will be "dropped", unless that IP-address exactly matches one of the two IP-addresses assigned to your network, giving more protection to your routers.

Jump to solution

Oops!  Somehow, I cannot "edit" my own posting. So, where...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Oops! 

Somehow, I cannot "edit" my own posting.

So, where I wrote "the send router", use "the second router".

I think that some keys on my keyboard (under my left hand, e.g,. "c" and "d") are functioning intermittently. Or, maybe it's just my touch-typing (lack of) skill!

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thank you for your response In response to this part - Th...

Wolf2020
Grasshopper

Thank you for your response

In response to this part - There is a contradiction here -- if your modem is set to "bridged" mode, and if Shaw has provisioned your account with two "public" IP-addresses, then both ports on the BlueCurve will be able to obtain a "public" IP-address. If your modem is set to "bridged" mode, and if Shaw has provisioned your account with only one "public" IP-address, then only one port on the BlueCurve will be able to obtain a "public" IP-address.

Shaw says They see two ip address assigned. 

I originally started with both cables plugged in to two separate personal router. Only one ever worked. Then another supoport person said when in bridge mode only port will work. That said you can use either port. Even says it With bridge mode enabled, one (1) Ethernet port will be active on your modem (either port will work—whichever a device is plugged in to). From support page https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-configure-bridge-mode-on-the-bluecurve-gateway/t...

So this is why all the confusion. After 8 hours on with support over  different occasions really is annoying that they can not solve this.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I originally started with both cables plugged in to tw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Wolf2020 -- I originally started with both cables plugged in to two separate personal router. Only one ever worked.

Did you follow my "recipe", above?  If so, what worked, and what did not work?

> Then another sup-o-port person said when in bridge mode only [one] port will work.

That's what I wrote -- when your account is provisioned with only one IP-address, only 1 port will work -- "first come - first serve", but when your account is provisioned with 2 IP-addresses, then both ports will work.

That Shaw support article that you cited states:

Bridge mode ... is often used to allow a second networking device (i.e. a third party WiFi router) to pull a public IP address when plugged in to the modem.

It depends on how and what they "count". Is the cable-modem the "first" networking device while the 3rd-party router is the "second" networking device, or are they counting simultaneous usage of both LAN ports on the cable-modem as being the "first" and "second" devices ?

I recommend that you try my "recipe", and give detailed feedback.

If you "think like Spock", there is no logic for Shaw to provision two IP-addresses, when only one IP-address can ever be used. Further, Shaw has an optional charge, about $10/month, for provisioning a 3rd IP-address.  Why are they allowed to collect that money, if they cannot provide that service?

[The Hitron cable-modem has 4 LAN ports, to make it easy to use 3 IP-addresses. You'll need to add a networking switch, if you want to use a 3rd IP-address with the BlueCurve cable-modem, which only has 2 LAN ports, e.g.,

• BlueCurve -> LAN port #1 -> Ethernet cable #1 -> switch -> Ethernet cable #3 -> IP #1
  • BlueCurve -> LAN port #1 -> Ethernet cable #1 > switch -> Ethernet cable #4 -> IP #2
  • BlueCurve -> LAN port #2 -> Ethernet cable #2 -> IP #3

Again, the switch is like the farmer -- all eggs have been collected into the one basket, and the eggs are graded by the farmer into "small/medium/large" flats. Two IP-addresses enter the switch, and the switch "routes" a particular packet ONLY to one device. In contrast, an "Ethernet hub", instead of an "Ethernet switch", will broadcast all incoming packets to all devices, leaving it for a particular network-adapter to filter the packets to accept only packets destined for its unique IP-address.]

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

this looks to be related to PRB0051453. I've sent your ac...

shaw-tony

@Wolf2020 this looks to be related to PRB0051453. I've sent your account details up to our engineering team to patch your modem. Once the patch is applied, a power reboot is required to get the 2nd IP enabled. Please power reset your modem after 48 hours.

Jump to solution

Thanks it now works

Wolf2020
Grasshopper

Thanks it now works

Jump to solution

Hi there, I just wanted to double-check whether the OP an...

superchinook
Grasshopper

@shaw-tonyHi there, I just wanted to double-check whether the OP and others in PRB0051453, they are experiencing issues when trying to use 3rd party routers with Shaw Blue Curve gateway in bridge mode. I have a fast AC3150 router that I have not been able to use for the longest time. It used to work for me no problem, but ever since I "upgraded", I can't seem to get to have my router play nicely with Shaw's modem. I've tried solutions like power cycling, letting Shaw's gate/modem to fully finish setup and then power on the router, but I still cannot get online with the router handling the wireless signal and Blue Curve in bridge mode. Internet works just fine when using Blue Curve only, but the issue is that I have weak signal in part of my home. With my router, that wasn't a problem before. Windows 10 troubleshooter keeps talking about some sort of DNS issues. Could you please help me like you helped others? Or is there another solution?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Start by completely powering-off both the BlueCurve an...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@superchinook -- Start by completely powering-off both the BlueCurve and the AC3150, by disconnecting each power-cord. Then, power-on the BlueCurve, and let it completely restart. Then, power-on the AC3150, and let it completely restart. Connect your computer, via an Ethernet cable, to the AC3150.

From your computer, logon to the web-interface inside your AC3150, to see what "public" IP-address is assigned to its WAN interface by Shaw's DHCP-server.  With a "bridged" BlueCurve, it should not be a private IP-address, e.g.,  "10.0.0.xxx".  Also, check what public IP-addresses are listed for the DNS-server(s).

Are there apps within the AC3150 that let you PING an IP-address, such as 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 or the IP-address(es) assigned to the DNS-server(s)? Success?

If your computer successfully connects via an Ethernet cable to the AC3150, then the WiFi adapter inside the AC3150 should provide a WiFi network to your WiFi-enabled device(s), even when the BlueCurve is completely powered-off.

Jump to solution

Hey thanks for replying! My router is on dd wrt, the pin...

superchinook
Grasshopper

Hey @mdk thanks for replying! My router is on dd wrt, the ping command worked fine to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8. As dd wrt allows 3 statuc dns, I had put 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 in, I left 3rd one blank, looks like that got auto assigned 64.59.184.13--pinging this also worked out fine.

WAN settings show IP for router as 64.148.5.99. What do I try next?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help