Jump to solution

Shaw Go/Shaw Open not working

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

I'm using an iPhone 8 Plus, upgraded it to iOS 14 a few weeks ago.Surprised at how well everything worked.

Today -- Shaw Go/Shaw Open (whatever it's called -- don't even know the difference as it is not made clear anywhere) is not working.

On Lonsdale Avenue this morning in North Vancouver, kept getting asked to register device. Had no Shaw WiFi at all.

Device _IS_ definitely registered. Worked perfectly under iOS 13.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

This is a new feature in iOS 14, it randomizes your MAC a...

HAL2000
Grasshopper

This is a new feature in iOS 14, it randomizes your MAC address for privacy reasons every time you reconnect. This obviously cant work with Shaw Go Wifi (where you register a device MAC address for access on the network). Go to Settings --> wifi --> ShawOpen --> click the exclamation point on the right to go in to the wireless profile. Slide the option for "Private Address" to turn off. You only need to do this once on this specific profile. I've attached picture of what you need to look for. Good luck!

IMG_2131.jpegIMG_2130.jpeg

View solution in original post

24 Replies
Jump to solution

-- don't even know the difference as it is not made clear...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@appleMacTech -- don't even know the difference as it is not made clear anywhere

The "ShawOpen" WiFi network is free for Shaw customers, but only for Shaw customers.

Given the emergence of the COVID-19 pandemic, it is documentaed that Shaw created the "ShawGo" WiFi network, as a gesture to offer free WiFi to anybody with a WiFi device.

>  is not working

There are literally thousands of Shaw WiFi access-points. Did you find the ONLY access-point that is not working? Where? Contact Shaw to report it.

When you logon to My Shaw, does it show as "registered"? If so, delete that entry, and then try again with your iPhone, at a different access-point.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply mdk. ShawGo WiFi was around before...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

Thanks for your reply mdk.

ShawGo WiFi was around before COVID started. But now I see both "ShawOpen" and "ShawGo" on my iPhone unless I just simply did not notice that they were both there back when I was using iOS 13. It seems to me that I only used to see "Shaw". I take it that they are basically the same thing.

I used to be able to walk up and down Lonsdale Avenue from Esplanade all the way up to 23rd Street and connect to dozens and dozens of different Shaw (free for Shaw customers only) networks effortlessly along the way. That was when I was using iOS 13. It worked great.

The point I'm trying to make here is that I don't think iOS 14 likes "ShawOpen" and "ShawGo" very much. When I was out yesterday (Sunday), I could not connect to any of them anywhere along the way. I kept getting asked to enter my e-mail and password repeatedly and after doing so numerous times, it just kept telling me that there was a problem. Can't remember the exact wording of the message. Seemed like the whole system was down.

My iPhone 8 Plus MAC address is registered in our My Shaw account. ShawOpen (ShawGo or whatever you want to call it) worked perfectly until I upgraded to iOS 14. All other wireless networks and functions on my iPhone 8 Plus work perfectly except for ShawOpen.

I am using iOS 14.0, not iOS 14.0.1.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Jump to solution

Worked fine for me today.

rstra
Grand Master

Worked fine for me today. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- ShawGo WiFi was around before COVID started. Yes, but...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@appleMacTech -- ShawGo WiFi was around before COVID started.

Yes, but the "ShawGo" WiFi SSID was created by Shaw in reaction to COVID-19, to "open up" Shaw Go WiFi to everybody.

> But now I see both "ShawOpen" and "ShawGo" on my iPhone unless I just simply did not notice that they were both there back when I was using iOS 13.

Both networks are accessible on very-old iPhones, e.g., the "5C" model, running IOS 10.3.

> I kept getting asked to enter my e-mail and password repeatedly ...

Are you entering your Shaw ID, and adding "@shaw.ca" ? Are you correctly entering your password?

> it just kept telling me that there was a problem. Can't remember the exact wording of the message. 

That's too bad. Knowing the message would help.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, having the exact same issue after updating to IOS 14...

Steve531
Grasshopper

Yes, having the exact same issue after updating to IOS 14 now 14.0.1.  Could not log in to Shaw Open or Shaw Go.  Also looked in My Shaw App under Shaw Go WiFi Devices and it says “we weren’t able to load the Go WiFi devices.”  Hitting Retry does nothing.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- looked in My Shaw App under Shaw Go WiFi Devices and i...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Steve531 -- looked in My Shaw App under Shaw Go WiFi Devices and it says “we weren’t able to load the Go WiFi devices.”  

Strange. That display works correctly for me.

I recommend that you contact Shaw Support (currently, online chat is given priority over telephone) and get them to trouble-shoot this issue.

I notice that you posted "9 hours ago" (it's now 9:47 AM). It's possible that you, just after midnight, were affected by one of Shaw's scheduled outages (usually between 1 AM and 7 AM Mountain Time).  Try again.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, I see that the Go WiFi devices are now back and list...

Steve531
Grasshopper

Yes, I see that the Go WiFi devices are now back and listed, but the attempt to get to get on WiFi was around 5 pm and I hadn’t checked the MyShaw app until later.  I will have to try again when I’m in a Shaw WiFi area and hope it works, but doubtful it will.  There have been previous issues with not being able to get on Shaw Passpoint with newer phones and updates, and now with getting on the Shaw Open and Go WiFi.  There is an overall ongoing issue with Apple and Shaw that seems to be getting worse.  

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This is a new feature in iOS 14, it randomizes your MAC a...

HAL2000
Grasshopper

This is a new feature in iOS 14, it randomizes your MAC address for privacy reasons every time you reconnect. This obviously cant work with Shaw Go Wifi (where you register a device MAC address for access on the network). Go to Settings --> wifi --> ShawOpen --> click the exclamation point on the right to go in to the wireless profile. Slide the option for "Private Address" to turn off. You only need to do this once on this specific profile. I've attached picture of what you need to look for. Good luck!

IMG_2131.jpegIMG_2130.jpeg

Jump to solution

OK, this makes sense, I knew it has something to do with...

appleMacTech
Grasshopper

OK, this makes sense, I knew it had something to do with iOS 14.

I just got back from trying it again with no luck but I hadn't yet read your post. I will set this new (and unannounced as usual) Apple "private address feature" in iOS 14 to OFF next time I'm out.

One question though that is as clear as mud on the Shaw website, i wish Shzw would clarify things better, Do I log in to ShawOpen using:

my email address and e-mail password

or

MyShaw login and password (for viewing my bills online or making changes to my account)

Which one?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help