Jump to solution

-- changing the last digit Thanks for the hint. If I chan...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@2110centre -- changing the last digit

Thanks for the hint. If I change the last digit of the URL that you posted to 0 or 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5, I see the "hidden" page.

http://192.168.0.1/index.htm#admin_usb/m/4/s/[digit]

Jump to solution

Excellent! But where, on my Windows 7 system connected to...

Scare1
Grasshopper

Excellent! But where, on my Windows 7 system connected to the router, would I find the shared drive? It's not listed in Windows Explorer > Network.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- try this: connect your USB device to a computer that...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Scare1 -- try this:

1. connect your USB device to a computer that you always keep powered-up;
  2. Windows will assign a drive-letter to that device.
  3. Open the Windows "File Explorer", and right-mouse-button click on the device.
  4. Choose "share" and set a name for the "share".
  5. Other computers on your local network can now search on your network for the name of this "share".
  6. Those computers can now access the files/folders on that "mapped" share-name.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I've done that, and it works, but the old laptop I'm usin...

Scare1
Grasshopper

I've done that, and it works, but the old laptop I'm using as a file server only has a 100 Mbps Ethernet connection. My main laptop and the router both have Gbps Ethernet, so naturally I'd like to connect a USB HD directly to the router.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

In your computer, have you tried to select “map network d...

rstra
Grand Master

@Scare1 In your computer, have you tried to select “map network drive” and enter in \\192.168.0.1\**********

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Yes, but I just get this non-informative error message. S...

Scare1
Grasshopper

Yes, but I just get this non-informative error message. Same if I "Connect using different credentials" with the router's customer admin login. The drive is plugged in to the router's USB port, and spinning. The IP address is correct, I can log in to the router that way. The hex string is copy & pasted from the router's "Shared Disks" page, with backslashes as you can see. Shares from a second connected laptop work normally. Is there maybe a protocol (ie: Samba/smb:) that I need to check/install?

w. backslashes.PNG

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I get a slightly different but still non-informative mess...

Scare1
Grasshopper

I get a slightly different but still non-informative message if I try the same thing in a M(es)s-DOS window:

>net use R: \\192.168.0.1\8A2CF4F62CF4DE5F /user:cusadmin ************
System error 58 has occurred.

The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

try formatting the disk as fat32.

rstra
Grand Master

@Scare1 try formatting the disk as fat32.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I've tried NTFS, FAT32, FAT, and exFAT (which didn't show...

Scare1
Grasshopper

I've tried NTFS, FAT32, FAT, and exFAT (which didn't show up in "Shared Disks"). No joy.

P.S.: Love the Engrish you get when you hit "Eject" on the router's "Shared Disks" page:

savely.png

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- the old laptop I'm using as a file server only has a 1...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Scare1 -- the old laptop I'm using as a file server only has a 100 Mbps Ethernet connection.

Can you purchase ($16) and use: Rankie USB Network Adapter, USB 3.0 to RJ45 Gigabit, Black | Best Buy Canada

to add Gigabit speed to your laptop?