Jump to solution

Shaw XB6 fan noise

Vasily
Grasshopper

The fan in XB6 is running constantly and it's making constant humming noise which is very annoying. Is there any way to stop it?

If no, is it possible to use any 3rd party fanless modem with Fibre+ 750 plan?

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

@Order a replacement. Forget about the work arounds.

rickatk
Master

@Vasily @Order a replacement. Forget about the work arounds.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

I too had the XB6, which they installed when I moved to a...

proud-boomer
Grasshopper

I too had the XB6, which they installed when I moved to a new location, on my internet 300 service.  I just bought a really too expensive house, and I could not stand being anywhere on the main floor due to the continual high pitched almost subliminal whine. Shaw was NOT helpful at first, they replaced it twice with the same, and each time it was the same or worse, and it just was wasting a lot of my time having to reprogram the modem/gateway with the prior passwords so I didn't have to re-password over a dozen devices in my home.  In both cases, when the installer came, they told me they could not hear it, and they were at least 20 years my junior, so I guess they cranked their metal music up too high on their earbuds.  To the installers' credit both tried arguing with head office about installing a XB7, which resolves the issue because the power transformer is no longer inside the gateway box, but head office refused.

Then Telus called me with a great offer, and while I really didn't want to change providers, since my Shaw email addresses were decades in use, I decided I was going to pull the plug on Shaw if they didn't remedy this.  I was not about to live in only half of the sq footage of my house.  By the way, I tried half a dozen ways to resolve the noise issue, I tried putting it on foam, I tried putting a foam circle around it - nothing helped.  The best I was able to do is I placed it so that it was not near any walls. I had it "floating" on a shelf in the middle of the room.  That helped because the noise didn't have a surface to bounce off of, but it was still unbearable.

I finally called Shaw and told them point blank they fixed t or I was moving to Telus.  They did come up with a solution, they moved me from internet 300 to internet 500, which then qualified me for the XB7, at basically the same price (really, I don't get internet 500 anyway, I'm lucky if I get 300 at the gateway location).

I could not believe the difference that change in gateway model made in my life.  I didn't realize just how oppressive that sound emanating from the XB6 was until it was gone. It had been like having one of those mosquito (noise emitting) crowd control devices in my house.

I was not even aware of the potential fire risk, so I'm glad its gone for that reason, also.  By the way, that sound with the XB6 almost never was off, but Shaw tech support claimed that the fan wasn't on "all that much" and that the box temperature was in the range for the specs, according to their feedback from the gateway device. I don't believe them. I heard it almost all the time, and my house has a heat pump, so it was air conditioned during the warmer days.

I'm just glad it is GONE!  If you are having this issue, replacement with the same device won't fix it unless they somehow redesign the units.  Just make a lot of "noise" with Shaw/Rogers, and maybe that noise will go away.

Proud-boomer

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Jump to solution

The XB6 AP/router/modem is a multi radioed system with Fa...

Gi-JiHad
Grasshopper

The XB6 AP/router/modem is a multi radioed system with Fast hardware and puts out A LOF OF POWER OVER the WIFi.  They were designed in a rush and have very poor cooling and are very inefficient. These units are Leased from Comcast to Shaw (from what Shaw rep tells me) 

Anyway these units  are fire hazards. 

Also Rogers calls their version the IGNITE.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z5mDME-P8U&ab_channel=ViktorsReality

https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/98i8ud/xb6t_overheating_and_shutting_off_over_and_...

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/XB6-T-overheating-very-badly/td-p/3388149

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Ignite-Modem-Arris-XB6-Overheating/td-p/445054

Jump to solution

OK, any solution to it? Can I use 3rd party DOCSIS 3.1 mo...

Vasily
Grasshopper

OK, any solution to it? Can I use 3rd party DOCSIS 3.1 modem with Shaw instead of their XB6?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

@Order a replacement. Forget about the work arounds.

rickatk
Master

@Vasily @Order a replacement. Forget about the work arounds.

Jump to solution

Well, XB7 is not available in Vancouver yet and constantl...

Vasily
Grasshopper

Well, XB7 is not available in Vancouver yet and constantly running fan in XB6 is expected as per Shaw, so I'm afraid replacement will be the same.

I guess I'll start nagging them once they start XB7 rollout in Vancouver

Jump to solution

-- please read two other threads on this discussion forum...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Vasily -- please read two other threads on this discussion forum:

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/a-few-problems-with-shaw-bluecurve-modem/m-p/3386

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-discussions/shaw-xb6-fan-noise/m-p/33372

You are not the first to comment on the noise of this device.

Jump to solution

I did, brand new with stickers even noisier. Elevated up...

Grasshopper

I did, brand new with stickers even noisier. Elevated up even. Pos.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I too had the XB6, which they installed when I moved to a...

proud-boomer
Grasshopper

I too had the XB6, which they installed when I moved to a new location, on my internet 300 service.  I just bought a really too expensive house, and I could not stand being anywhere on the main floor due to the continual high pitched almost subliminal whine. Shaw was NOT helpful at first, they replaced it twice with the same, and each time it was the same or worse, and it just was wasting a lot of my time having to reprogram the modem/gateway with the prior passwords so I didn't have to re-password over a dozen devices in my home.  In both cases, when the installer came, they told me they could not hear it, and they were at least 20 years my junior, so I guess they cranked their metal music up too high on their earbuds.  To the installers' credit both tried arguing with head office about installing a XB7, which resolves the issue because the power transformer is no longer inside the gateway box, but head office refused.

Then Telus called me with a great offer, and while I really didn't want to change providers, since my Shaw email addresses were decades in use, I decided I was going to pull the plug on Shaw if they didn't remedy this.  I was not about to live in only half of the sq footage of my house.  By the way, I tried half a dozen ways to resolve the noise issue, I tried putting it on foam, I tried putting a foam circle around it - nothing helped.  The best I was able to do is I placed it so that it was not near any walls. I had it "floating" on a shelf in the middle of the room.  That helped because the noise didn't have a surface to bounce off of, but it was still unbearable.

I finally called Shaw and told them point blank they fixed t or I was moving to Telus.  They did come up with a solution, they moved me from internet 300 to internet 500, which then qualified me for the XB7, at basically the same price (really, I don't get internet 500 anyway, I'm lucky if I get 300 at the gateway location).

I could not believe the difference that change in gateway model made in my life.  I didn't realize just how oppressive that sound emanating from the XB6 was until it was gone. It had been like having one of those mosquito (noise emitting) crowd control devices in my house.

I was not even aware of the potential fire risk, so I'm glad its gone for that reason, also.  By the way, that sound with the XB6 almost never was off, but Shaw tech support claimed that the fan wasn't on "all that much" and that the box temperature was in the range for the specs, according to their feedback from the gateway device. I don't believe them. I heard it almost all the time, and my house has a heat pump, so it was air conditioned during the warmer days.

I'm just glad it is GONE!  If you are having this issue, replacement with the same device won't fix it unless they somehow redesign the units.  Just make a lot of "noise" with Shaw/Rogers, and maybe that noise will go away.

Proud-boomer

Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply! I solved the issue by moving XB6 i...

Vasily
Grasshopper

Thanks for your reply!

I solved the issue by moving XB6 into the basement where I don't spend much time, and this year I've got XB7 as well. It's definitely better than XB6 noise-wise. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

--  I don't get internet 500 anyway, I'm lucky if I get 3...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@proud-boomer --  I don't get internet 500 anyway, I'm lucky if I get 300 

If you are using the Shaw SpeedTest, note that it requires a fast computer, e.g., dual-core at over 2.4 Ghz, to run the test at full speed. My desktop (3.2 Ghz) gets 500+ download speed, while my laptop (1.6 Ghz) gives much slower results, over the same Ethernet cable.

Anyway, the quietness of the XB7 (and XB8) is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help