Jump to solution

-- Is anyone else getting multiple spam mail, probably 2...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- Is anyone else getting multiple spam mail, probably 2 dozen today, from senders spoofing ....

After a week of receiving many such message, I can say "not today, and not yesterday, and not the preceding day".

Probably, only the spammer and the Internet Police (tm)  know why. πŸ™‚

The only new message in my Junk Mail folder is from:  <teamcanada@olympic.ca> but I am subscribed to that mailing-list. For some reason, Shaw's filters seem to classify their news articles as "Shaw Suspected Spam".

Jump to solution

I got 4 early this morning.

rstra
Grand Master

I got 4 early this morning.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- I got 4 early this morning Show us. Any spurious apost...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- I got 4 early this morning

Show us.

Any spurious apostrophe(s) in the SUBJECT line?

Did the REPLY-TO field contain "puredigitalprods" ?

Or, was it a totally-different spammer?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

No apostrophe, no reply to. Don’t know why Shaw filters j...

rstra
Grand Master

No apostrophe, no reply to. Don’t know why Shaw filters just can’t do a reverse dns on the sender. Anyway, I am not spending any more time on this, just deleting and moving on.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

It's noon on Wednesday, so no spam for lunch today!!  I t...

Oceansidegal
Grasshopper

It's noon on Wednesday, so no spam for lunch today!!  I think this may be the second day of relief from this garbage in our inboxes.  Thanks to whoever has resolved it. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- Don’t know why Shaw filters just can’t do a reverse dn...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- Don’t know why Shaw filters just can’t do a reverse dns on the sender.

They probably could -- a SMOP ("small matter of programming") that is easy to do, but probably ineffective.

Long gone are the days when the spammer used their own IP-address to connect directly to Shaw's mail-server. Now, spammers are compromising legitimate E-mail IDs, authenticating with the hacked IDs, and sending through that ISP's mail-server. Or, the "puredigitalprods" spammer was abusing the "Amazon AWS" service, and sending from an IP-address belonging to Amazon.  Or, the spammer is using GMail, but the headers of the GMail message do not show the IP-address of the spammer who is logged-in to GMail. Spammers use many tricks to "hide" their personal IP-address.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> Thanks to whoever has resolved it.  Sigh. This morning,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Thanks to whoever has resolved it. 

Sigh.

This morning, that spammer (exploiting AMAZON AWS) has sent one "spam" message to me.

It still includes the apostrophe in the SUBJECT line, but the REPLY-TO field does not include "puredigitalprods".

So, the filter I created for that keyword has become ineffective.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Looks like the spam wave is back.

rstra
Grand Master

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- the spam wave is back So far this week, only one, via...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rstra -- the spam wave is back

So far this week, only one, via AMAZON Elastic Cloud, with many spurious apostrophe characters, and misleading E-mail headers:

Return-Path: <videotron.ca@bounce.twitter.com>
Received: from bunnycdn.com ( ec2-3-143-110-8.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com [3.143.110.8])
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2021 01:25:20 +0000
X-Gmail-Original-Message-ID: <CAA_-qjz-iOBF6GYR-sLiL_pMkPXXg5Eyg5ahmkkF5Nm=R5sixQ@mail.gmail.com>
Message-ID: <VI1PR08MB406303FF30AC8C91F79AA9D4AF7B9@VI1PR08MB4063.eurprd08.prod.outlook.com>
Subject: Y'our    e m a i l   is s'elected to p'articipate in our s'urvey
To:
Return-Path: LiveWire.Aut11@outlook.com
X-Microsoft-Original-Message-ID: <CAA_-qjz-iOBF6GYR-sLiL_pMkPXXg5Eyg5ahmkkF5Nm=R5sixQ@mail.gmail.com>
Sender: <videotron.ca@bounce.twitter.com>

Note that the SUBJECT line has not been modified by Shaw. One of my personalized "filters" moved it to my "Junk" folder, within Shaw WebMail.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

RE: Looks Like the Spam Wave is Back (05-Apr-2021)

lmacri
Grasshopper

@rstra wrote:

Agreed.  See my 07-Apr-2021 post Spam Messages in Inbox Again as of 05-Apr-2021 in nanuuk's 15-Mar-2021 thread What's the Spam Plan Shaw?.  I just received another two spam emails in my Inbox this morning that evaded the Shaw spam filters. Every time one of these spam email arrives in my Inbox I log in to Shaw web mail and mark them as SPAM to move them to my Junk folder, so Shaw should be aware that their spam filters need to be tweaked (again).
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v20H2 build 19042.867 * Firefox v87.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2103.7 * MS Outlook 2019 C2R
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G 256 GB NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help