Jump to solution

Nothing to do with setup I have dropped from 300 to well...

RobertFontaine
Grasshopper

Nothing to do with setup I have dropped from 300 to well under 150 down for the last couple of weeks and the only time it improves is for a few minutes 

after the technician resets my modem.   Their switches are throttling.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

- did the technician remotely logon to your cable-modem,...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@RobertFontaine - did the technician remotely logon to your cable-modem, to check its status, e.g., "signal strength"? Did the technician "re-provision" the modem on their end?

Jump to solution

ok so they did a remote service with a tech from shaw. we...

scypheroth
Grasshopper

ok so they did a remote service with a tech from shaw. we went through EVERYTHING and checked over everything even took the cable out of the wall socket! EVERYTHING is good on my end EVERYTHING. The tech could not find a single thing wrong and basically told me there is nothing they can do until covid-19 is over. 

SO as of today i am now Shaw free...i canceled my sub and switched to a diffrent provider and now im getting well over my paid for speeds...this PROVES IT without a shadow of a doubt that Shaw is throttling speeds admid covid-19, i understand why because of the huge amount of ppl now online...but that i sno excuse. I think its time to upgrade there network from cable to fiber like the provided i am now using has done over the last 4 years....

Good bye shaw...

Jump to solution

Whatever works for you. I am not buying the idea that Sha...

rstra
Grand Master

Whatever works for you. I am not buying the idea that Shaw is throttling speeds, at least they aren’t throttling mine. I have seen stories of high network demand, particularly video, because of people staying home, maybe this has something to do with it.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

That sounds strange as my internet speeds are way down as...

burrrr
Grasshopper
That sounds strange as my internet speeds are way down as well. They did a remote check on my system and told me there is nothing wrong. I'm paying for the 300 mbps and all I'm getting- if I'm lucky- is 70! My wife works from home and she can't cause the internet isn't fast enough for her job, so she has to drive across the city to her Mom's- who has a different provider. We are thinking of changing providers as well. The lack of support with Shaw is rather astonishing. Shaw is a joke........
Jump to solution

do it! Just got my new service with Sasktel today and all...

scypheroth
Grasshopper

do it! Just got my new service with Sasktel today and all i can say is my speed is great constant 300down 50up! AND the tech told me that they are upgrading to 600down 100up by mid year. Dont know if your in saskatchewan like i am but i would def switch providers because that is the same thing they told me that everything was fine on there end, so its very very obvious its being throttled they just cant admit it due to legal issues as they could be sued for doing so. 

I did have to pay out my contaract of $240 but ill give them 50 a month till its paid...

Jump to solution

Good to hear that you are happy with your new service, bu...

rstra
Grand Master

Good to hear that you are happy with your new service, but there is no throttling going on in southern interior BC.

3491998B-7D38-4C03-A3CB-86E3AE92DCED.png

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

> I did have to pay out my contaract of $240 but ill give...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master
> I did have to pay out my contaract of $240 but ill give them 50 a month till its paid. To rub some salt into your wounds, Shaw will start charging interest, probably when they have not received full payment within 2 months. My "Internet 300" is not being throttled -- I get over 300 mbps for download. To get maximum download speed, you need: * a wired Ethernet connection -- most WiFi adapters cannot do 300 mbps, * a dual-core processor at over 2 Ghz -- slower computers cannot run Shaw Speedtest at its full speed, * a CAT-5e or CAT-6 Ethernet cable -- a CAT-5 cable is certified only to 100 mbps.
Jump to solution

its funny you should say that wifi is slower than cable....

scypheroth
Grasshopper

its funny you should say that wifi is slower than cable. because when i was with shaw it was the opposite. i was getting close to 220 down with wifi and under 100 with ethernet.

NOW BEFORE the pandemic i was getting over 600 down via ethernet to both my pc's no problem running CAT 7 cables. It only started slowing down when covid started happening. To the very last i was running NEW CAT 7 cables to both my pc's and myu pc is worth more than my car at close to 12k for my pc. My pc isnt the problem...running latest ryzen 7 processor and dual 2080ti graphics cards with over 32gb ram, my other pc is similar. Me and my GF game professionally so we need top tier stuff to give us that edge and the slow internet wasnt allowing us to do our jobs. 

Was nothign to do with our pc's or our building was something on shaws end as i said we were getting over 600 down before.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

that is certainly slower than expected, are you noticing...

shaw-tony

@burrrr that is certainly slower than expected, are you noticing the slow speeds over WiFi only are direct ethernet connections affected as well? What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help