Terrible internet speed on internet 300(150)

emerald_dragon
Grasshopper

Ever since the internet was “upgraded” in the area my internet 150 (upped to 300) my internet speeds have dropped from around 125/15 to 35/3. I’ve tried all the trouble shooting ideas offered, and after resetting for the fourth time today saw the most amazing speeds of 9.15/.05.  If I had another choice I’d switch but dial up is currently looking promising. Seriously though, what am I paying all this money for when I can get information from an encyclopedia faster than Wikipedia??

Labels (1)
26 Replies

Re: Terrible internet speed on internet 300(150)

shaw-tony

Hey emerald_dragon,

Thank you for reaching out! I am sorry to hear of the slow speeds you are experiencing and appreciate the time you took to try some troubleshooting steps. There may be several reasons to why you are noticing slow speeds. I have some details here on how to optimize your Internet experience. To better understand your situation, are you noticing the slow speeds over WiFi only or are direct ethernet connections to a desktop affected as well?

Keep me posted,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

emerald_dragon
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply Shaw-tony, I’ve been through this document already, to no avail. The modem hasn’t been moved from where it was nor have any devices been added, and all test devices are exactly the same as they were. When the “upgrade” hit internet speeds quartered and worse instead of doubling. Where I used to be able to stream Netflix movies at full HD. Now I have to throttle them to 720p or lower just to keep them from hanging more than 5 times per hour. 

shaw-tony

emerald_dragon I understand that frustration. Are you able to run a speedtest from a desktop/laptop that is directly connected to the modem through ethernet? Please let me know of the results so we can rule out any modem/signal issues.

0 Kudos

emerald_dragon
Grasshopper

That’s the computer I got the 9/.05 speed test result on. There is little difference between the Ethernet connected computer and the wifi computer or my phone. I haven’t checked today (at work). Though this morning I had the best speed yet at 59/16. 

0 Kudos

emerald_dragon
Grasshopper

Just got home and tested got 30.1/11 on the wired computer and 59.1/14 on my phone (wifi). Reset the wired computer and got 36.3/7.69. We’ve had techs here 7 times in the past year trying to fix the internet and tv, and it’s still terrible, but it has not been this bad in months, and literally started the day we were supposed to have been “upgraded” to double speed. 

Ive called tech support for they’ve done their thing and I’m still stuck with paying over $100 for speeds I can get from dsl at 1/3 the price. 

emerald_dragon
Grasshopper

Alright, so after the third reset (using the pinhole reset) I finally have wired speeds hitting between 280/14 and 320/14 and pretty consistent, however, the wireless seems to still be topping out at 59/16. This is on the same three devices that two weeks ago was getting consistent speeds of 150/12 to 180/12. Nothing else around the router has changed, the wireless devices haven't changed, and I can't figure it out.

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

Hi  

I know you said you've done all of the recommended troubleshooting, so I apologize for asking these questions but I just want to be sure we're all on the same page in terms of what you have tried. When you run the speed tests, are you disabling any devices that might be using the connection? For example, if you run a test on one computer while watching Netflix on another, that's going to have an impact on the results you see, so we just want to be sure that's being checked. Also, which speed test site are you using? And which browser? 

0 Kudos

emerald_dragon
Grasshopper

Yes. I run the speed tests on a hard wired desktop computer with everything else turned off though it doesn’t seem to affect the speed much if everything else is turned on and running. 

That being said. I think after hard resetting the modem three times in the weekend the hard-wired speeds were finally in the proper range and last night the wifi speeds finally broke 100. Though still slower than expected, since before the update they were registering 150 to 180 and are now getting up to 101 on the same devices  

I am using both Shaw’s linked speed test and Ookla’s direct speed test page through Microsoft edge and Google Chrome (yes I run 4 tests to be sure I’m getting similar results).

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

emerald_dragon WiFi is subject to WiFi interference. I'd recommend following the steps here to optimize your WiFi experience since you are getting the proper speeds now through a wired connection. Are you able to run another WiFi speed test after the changes in Google Chrome (Incognito mode) or the Ookla's speed test app to see if it makes a difference?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help