Upload speed much faster than my download rate

adamlundquist
Grasshopper

My internet speed over the past few days has greatly decreased in download rate 2.5 Mbps ( Im currently on the 75 plan). At the same time my upload rate has seemed to get a higher range, approx 8 Mbps. I've tried connecting to the modem with a computer for a speed test and no change in speed was noted, so I know it's not just a wireless issue. My modem is the hitron cgnm-2250. Any help would be greatly appreciated...ohh, and I've already tried the resetting the modem and factory resetting .

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Upload speed much faster than my download rate

shaw-tony

Hey adamlundquist,

Thank you for reaching out! There may be several factors involved, I have more details on that here. Do you have any 3rd party routers or switches attached to the Shaw modem? Are you able to run another speed test here with a direct ethernet connection to a desktop and let me know what results you receive? Also, which browser are you using (run the speed test on different browsers if possible)? 

Keep me posted,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

adamlundquist
Grasshopper

I have checked your liked guide previously with all the recommendations and yes nothing has been able to work. I don't have any router or switch connected to the modem. I have also tried multiple speed tests including the shaw variant and the app by ookla on both iOS as well as using it on internet explorer and Google Chrome on a wired Ethernet connection. The to customer support agents I have talked to say it must be the physical modem because the signal is apparently ok when they test it to my house. Any other recommendations would be great...

0 Kudos

adamlundquist
Grasshopper

The speed test I have performed on a wired connection have been the same as on wireless with decimal point differences...always more upload bandwidth than download. I should also mention when I first obtained the modem I have not  had any of these issues. Only the past half week or so it has been problematic.

0 Kudos

shaw-tamara

When you were troubleshooting, did you try reseating the coax cable? Are you using a splitter? 

0 Kudos

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

If you take your laptop out of your home, e.g., to a coffee-shop offering "Free WiFi", or to a place with free Shaw Go WiFi ( www.shaw.ca/internet/wifi ), and rerun one of those Speed Tests, do you get better numbers?

Do you have any "background" programs, e.g., BitTorrent, that may be consuming most of the available download capacity, leaving less capacity for the SpeedTest to measure?

Launch Windows Update, just to confirm that it is not downloading anything.

Have you tried a different Ethernet cable -- preferably one labelled "CAT 5" or "CAT 5E" -- not "CAT 3".

0 Kudos

-- any update? You're welcome to click the "thumbs-up" ic...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@adamlundquist -- any update?

You're welcome to click the "thumbs-up" icon on each reply that was helpful.

Or, you could click "accept as solution" for the best reply.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help