When will the XB 7 Be available in Vancouver?

rolyat77
Grasshopper

It has been a while since they released this in Calgary, and I am not quite hitting my 1 gig speed, in spite of everything working properly. I also want to get Wi-fi 6. 

Someone at Shaw must know the answer... it's been running there since Dec 10th....  

I pay a premium price for my services, and think it reasonable to have the newest equipment...

37 Replies

While wrapping up a live chat with a Shaw agent last mont...

Spatch
Grasshopper

While wrapping up a live chat with a Shaw agent last month on an unrelated matter, I inquired about the availability of the new XB7 modem in the metro Vancouver area.  I was told no definitive date was set but probably sometime in the next several months.  

0 Kudos

what speeds are you getting? Wired or wireless? I think...

rickatk
Master

@Spatch wrote:

While wrapping up a live chat with a Shaw agent last month on an unrelated matter, I inquired about the availability of the new XB7 modem in the metro Vancouver area.  I was told no definitive date was set but probably sometime in the next several months. 

@rolyat77 what speeds are you getting? Wired or wireless?  I think the only improvement you will see with the XB7 is with the wireless connection thanks to WiFi 6. Better range and speed is likely. I doubt throughput will change on the wired side.

Most people are presently reporting 950Mbps over Ethernet on the XB6. The best I get is 850Mbps over WiFi using the XB6.

0 Kudos

Ethernet speed is pretty good; however, in the past I hav...

rolyat77
Grasshopper

Ethernet speed is pretty good; however, in the past I have always exceeded Shaw's "quoted" speed gy about 5%. I am led to understand the XB6 limits out at 1Gbps so that would likely not allow my system to quite reach that speed, equipment being what it is...

My wireless is not as good, at about a quarter of that, and I do have a lot of wireless devices in the house. (around 70 operating at any given time). I believe the XB7 has more capacity in that area as well as Wifi 6, which, living in a townhouse complex, could have a positive impact.

Right now I am bridging the XB6, as it wasn't quite as strong as my 4 Triband Velop nodes (given the size of my home).

I know these are all first world problems, but were I to have the 7 I might raise my speed to 1.5 once the device is proven... besides, why should Calgary have all the fun? 
SpeedtestSpeedtest

0 Kudos

-- I am not quite hitting my 1 gig speed, in spite of eve...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rolyat77 -- I am not quite hitting my 1 gig speed, in spite of everything working properly.

Note that "940", when multiplied several times by 1.024, exceeds "1000". It is a "powers-of-2" versus a "powers-of-10" issue. Purchase a 1 TB (base 10) disk-drive, and you'll get 940 GB (base 2).

> I also want to get Wi-fi 6. Someone at Shaw must know the answer... it's been running there since Dec 10th....  

Where is "here" ? 

Note that any "Wireless AC" network-adapter is capable for 1.2 Gbps speed, but you need "Fibre+ 1.5" to get over 1.0 Gbps speed. Is "Wireless AC" available on your network adapter, or is it just the older "Wireless N" speed, which maybe gives 1/4 of 1 Gbps ?

I think that any Shaw employee who wants to stay employed will not reveal any "company confidential" information to you.

> I pay a premium price for my services

Judging by the rants on this forum, all of us are paying a premium price. 🙂

0 Kudos

I understand the math of this, but when I had 600, I got...

rolyat77
Grasshopper

I understand the math of this, but when I had 600, I got 640. My equipment is (wired Cat 6&7) my wireless is all running on a Tri-band AC and AX... My NAS runs @ 2Gbps and my computer has both wireless and wired connections which exceed  the 1 Gbps.

My computer itself doesn't even have any disk drives, only NVME and it's an I-9, so the equipment and setup I have can handle the higher speeds.

I get this is a minor issue, but I do find it somewhat frustrating that we don't get the shiny stuff as fast from Shaw, when it's already up and running in the USA...

Insofar as disclosing company secrets, staff are usually the last to know unfortunately, so I get info faster than them quite often. I am retired and have all the time in the world, as long as I am above ground..

Finally, this stuff ain't cheap, so if I pay for it, I expect the best that is available to me...

0 Kudos

Just got upgraded

KRISTIANALDRIN
Grasshopper

I got the new xb7 box from Shaw had to upgrade my plan unfortunately we shall see if it makes a difference 

What city are you in. Are you getting better wifi perform...

rickatk
Master

@KRISTIANALDRIN 

What city are you in. Are you getting better wifi performance?

I too was presented with a required change in plan and another two year agreement. Only to find out the XB7 Gateway is not available in Oceanside yet.

0 Kudos

I’m in downtown Vancouver and I’m getting way better perf...

KRISTIANALDRIN
Grasshopper

I’m in downtown Vancouver and I’m getting way better performance both hardwired and WiFi 

-- another two year agreement Given the newly-arisen Shaw...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@rickatk -- another two year agreement

Given the newly-arisen Shaw/Rogers merger, it may be a good thing to "lock-in" to the current pricing, for as long as possible.

Although my two-year plan was expiring on June 2, 2021, Shaw contacted me, in February, to get me to commit to another two-year plan.  No penalty for prematurely ending the current plan. The new plan, with the same PVR/TVchannels/phone, is only $8 more per month that the price that I signed-up for on June 2, 2019. The new monthly price is about a 2% increase per year, over those 2 years.   To compare, gasoline and residential-housing and home-insurance prices have risen more than 2% per year, over the last 2 years. I don't begrudge Shaw for a 2% per annum increase.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help