I appreciate your long-standing business with us. I took...

shaw-tony

@cygxanadu I appreciate your long-standing business with us. I took a quick look into your account and see some signal/noise issues in your area which aren't related to the Shaw Open WiFi nearby. Are you noticing slow speeds only over WiFi or are direct ethernet connections to a desktop slow as well? Swapping the modem may not fix the issue you are experiencing. The Shaw Open network has it's own connection and should not affect your home connections.

0 Kudos

I've had this problem for 2 years around, and they will d...

Chances
Grasshopper

I've had this problem for 2 years around, and they will do nothing. Many hours waisted but not as many as Tellus so pointless switching. Just suck up the false advertising. Most of there customers get grade A service, and reason why they don't care. They like to send you on pointless run arounds trying to improve it. 

Why is it moderators always assume we are using third par...

RUSH121
Grasshopper

Why is it moderators always assume we are using third party software or haven't reset the modem. Can't it just be that the service isn't what is being advertised? I'm getting 50 down on 600mb internet right now. I've tried everything and nothing seems to give me a stable connection. 

> Why is it moderators always assume we are using third p...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> Why is it moderators always assume we are using third party software or haven't reset the modem.

Those are the most-common trouble-shooting tasks. If you have not declared that you have tried those steps, without success, you must expect that anybody (not just moderators) will ask you to try those tasks.

> Can't it just be that the service isn't what is being advertised? I'm getting 50 down on 600mb internet right now.

When I run the Shaw SpeedTest on my Ethernet-connected ("CAT-5e" cable) desktop computer (dual-core 3 Ghz) through my HITRON modem, I get better numbers than the 300/15 speed that I'm paying for.

> I've tried everything and nothing seems to give me a stable connection. 

Please define "everything".

Have you contacted Shaw (online-chat or telephone) to get the technician to remotely connect to your modem, to view the "signal-strength", to ensure that it is not the cause of the instability?

Have you tried swapping-in a different coaxial cable, or a different Ethernet cable?

0 Kudos

Hello, I agree with what is said here and I can add somet...

Chris123451
Grasshopper

Hello,

I agree with what is said here and I can add something that happened to me recently with Shaw speed. I have internet 600 (so I need 600Mbps bandwidth or speed) and I get 200 most of the times. When they installed the new modem (router) everything was great, I got 600Mbps nice and clean. I had some buffering issues with DAZN a streaming sports program that I have subscription for and I checked the speed. Guess what? 200-250Mbps. I called (chatted) with someone at Shaw and after ONE hour (she had multiple clients at the same time) finally they booked a service call. 

When the technician came in, first question was: Why do you need 600Mbps? (Because I paid for it, I replied, and it was 600 before). After half an hour discussions when he tried to convince me that I don't need 600 and the test is very random, he finally installed a booster in the apartment (old building, with very old exterior cables). The weakness was improved, he did a test and I had 500Mbps. He always mentioned to buy new equipment, to downgrade to 300 with no cost, and stuff like this. It is shameful that a company is trying to cover up their incompetency to deliver what you paid for, blaming the customer. Hey Shaw, my equipment is fine and no need to have new ones. 

My guess is this. They always monitor and analyze network traffic and speeds and they know exactly your consumption, so if you don't really use 600Mbs they will not deliver it, hoping you don't check and make calls. This morning as we speak, 7am, no traffic on the network, my speedtest said 200Mbps. It is called stealing from customers, it is allying the customers without any shame. Now, they want to offer 1Gbps fibre optic connection. My question is, why do you try to sell something that you don't really deliver?

Thank you, and yes, Shaw get it together! You might lose customers in the future.

0 Kudos

--  I had some buffering issues with DAZN a streaming spo...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Chris123451 --  I had some buffering issues with DAZN a streaming sports program that I have subscription for

Could that be blamed on DAZN's servers being "too busy" to simultaneously deliver consistent streams to many customers?

Real-time video streams usually are under 10 Mbit/second.  So, if you are getting "buffering", while having the capability to receive at over 20 times that speed, don't blame your BlueCurve cable-modem.

I checked the speed. Guess what? 200-250Mbps.

Was that with the Shaw Speed Test?

> I called (chatted) with someone at Shaw and after ONE hour (she had multiple clients at the same time) finally they booked a service call. 

That was efficient use of her time. Also, after trouble-shooting to her limit, scheduling a service-call was the correct action.

> they want to offer 1Gbps fibre optic connection

Shaw says that 99.9% of their network already is fiber-optic cable.

Some MURBs (Multi Unit Residential Buildings) do get fibre-optic cable from the telephone-pole to the "wiring closet" in the MURB.

However, Shaw is not currently offering fibre-optic cable for the "last mile" for its residential customers, to replace coaxial-cable to their demarcation-box on the outside of your home. (My nephew has Telus Optik, which does bring fibre-optic cable directly to his Telus modem/router. But, he is only paying for 75 Mbit/second.)

> My question is, why do you try to sell something that you don't really deliver?

For me, Shaw is actually delivering 300 Mbit/second through my Hitron cable-modem/router, to my Ethernet-connected (not WiFi-connected) desktop computer.

0 Kudos

I didn't blame the Shaw modem for DAZN issues, the point...

Chris123451
Grasshopper

@mdk I didn't blame the Shaw modem for DAZN issues, the point here was the speed/bandwidth of 600Mbps that was supposed to be delivered and is not! DAZN issue is different and it has nothing to do with the Shaw speed. Bottom line is: Shaw doesn't deliver what they promised when you signed up! 

0 Kudos

-- Bottom line is: Shaw doesn't deliver what they promise...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Chris123451 -- Bottom line is: Shaw doesn't deliver what they promised when you signed up! 

For me, the bottom-line is that Shaw is actually delivering 300 Mbit/second through my Hitron cable-modem/router, to my Ethernet-connected (not WiFi-connected) desktop computer.

If you're not getting what you paid for, posting to this user-to-user forum is not likely to help. Instead, I recommend that you contact Shaw (currently, online-chat is given preference over telephone), and get them to trouble-shoot, which may eventually result in a service-call to the outside of your home, to check the Shaw infrastructure between Shaw's demarcation-box and the Shaw hardware "up" the telephone-pole, and their wires up-and-down your street.

Other people on this forum, e.g., @rickatk -- have reported that they are getting "full-speed" (600 or gigabit) for what they are paying.  With some work, you should also get "full speed".

> I didn't blame the Shaw modem for DAZN issues

Neither did I.

0 Kudos

Contact Shaw, they will re-provision your setup and do a...

rickatk
Master

@ammanr1 wrote:

This describes my experience with Shaw to the T.  I am supposed to have speeds of 600 but I have yet to experience those speeds.  I just tested my speed again tonight and hit a high of 60Mbps!  Unreal.

Contact Shaw, they will re-provision your setup and do a few other checks.

If you are using 3rd party router. Try resetting the rout...

aspannu
Grasshopper

If you are using 3rd party router. Try resetting the router to factory defaults.

TALK TO US
We're here to help