oh no! What is the error message you receive? Do you noti...

shaw-tony

@Mhbasri1 oh no! What is the error message you receive? Do you notice the same issue with different browsers and safe mode with networking? What are some troubleshooting steps that you tried?

0 Kudos

I assume you have verified your slow speeds are not just...

JohnClark
Grasshopper

I assume you have verified your slow speeds are not just an issue with Twitch?  You have same problem with other sites?

I am a retired linemen from Telus from the West coast, our most common line problem, if you have aerial cables down the street rather than underground.  Our most common problem was squirrels running down the cables and chewing holes and nicks in the cables both Shaw and telus cables.  Then moisture would get inside and cause any number of intermittent problems, especially in wet weather.  They especially liked to chew holes in you small cable coming from the house to where it contacts the telephone pole.  The fix was to replace the cable from the house, or if nick was in main cable, then switch you to another pair inside the cable for Telus.    

If you have underground cables in your area, that is more reliable but still can get problems, manholes flood occasionally and water can seep into places it shouldn't.  You need a technician willing to run some line tests, often the problems  will show up on his test equipment, he can see partial shorts or damaged cables on the test gear if he knows what he is doing.  Changing modems over and over will not fix it.  Good luck.

This describes my experience with Shaw to the T.  I am su...

ammanr1
Grasshopper

This describes my experience with Shaw to the T.  I am supposed to have speeds of 600 but I have yet to experience those speeds.  I just tested my speed again tonight and hit a high of 60Mbps!  Unreal.

0 Kudos

are you noticing slow speeds over WiFi or are ethernet co...

shaw-tony

@ammanr1 are you noticing slow speeds over WiFi or are ethernet connections to a PC affected as well? On a direct ethernet connection to a PC, are the speeds still slow when testing on https://speedtest.shaw.ca?

0 Kudos

> I just tested my speed again tonight and hit a high of...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

> I just tested my speed again tonight and hit a high of 60Mbps!

Things to check:

1. if your Ethernet cable is labelled "CAT-5", replace it by a "CAT-5E" cable.

2. Check that the network-adapter inside your computer is connected at 1000 Mbits/second, not 100 Mbits/second.

3. Disable any "file-sharing" applications that may be consuming most of your Internet connections.

4. Close all your web-browser windows, other than the Shaw SpeedTest window.

5. Close your E-mail application.

6. If you have other computers on your home network, shut them off.

7. What is the speed of your computer's processor?  With a "dual-core" CPU each running at only 1.6 Mhz, I don't get my full speed on that laptop.  With my 3.0 Ghz dual-core desktop computer, with the same Ethernet cable, I get my full speed.

I am noticing slow speeds on wifi.  I have not tested dir...

ammanr1
Grasshopper

I am noticing slow speeds on wifi.  I have not tested direct ethernet connection.

I typically only use https://speedtest.shaw.ca to test speed.  I just tested it and got a reading of 124Mbps and 15.1 for upload

0 Kudos

if it is over WiFi, it may be a case of WiFi Interference...

shaw-tony

@ammanr1 if it is over WiFi, it may be a case of WiFi Interference or a device limitation. @mdk is correct that you do need to ensure you have the right connections and setup for the best experience.

0 Kudos

same thing is happening to me, and look I am using 2 diff...

rubentribude
Grasshopper

same thing is happening to me, and look I am using 2 different laptops, one is 2.4GHZ and the another one is 5Gcapable, and I get the same speed on both of them. am coming to shaw tomorrow with screenshots to show them. it is  not fair paying for"300"and getting 75. Also I want to clarify I am using ETHERNET CABLE.

0 Kudos

that is certainly odd. What troubleshooting steps have yo...

shaw-tony

@rubentribude that is certainly odd. What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far? 

0 Kudos

I'll explain it, I have used Shaw since 2011, where I liv...

cygxanadu
Grasshopper

I'll explain it, I have used Shaw since 2011, where I lived in the north end ( Belvedere ) we ( me and my brother ) were was using Shaw 150 for 2 computers there were no speed issues, I was able to download, stream and surf at the same time as my brother was on the internet as well, everything was fine and dandy, until I moved out on my own to the downtown area I used Shaw 150 because it was working fine where I lived before it was fine for those 22 months Shaw phoned me and asked if I wanted to upgrade I told them no everything I do now is working fine, then around a month later my speeds start to get real slow ( speedtest show me 150down 10up what I paid for) results I could only do 1 thing at a time, I phoned, the techs came by checked everything out it was fine, a day later slower speeds again the heck with this I changed ISP because they just installed Fibre Optic in our building I was using internet 75, beyond my knowledge it really seemed like I was getting internet 150 I can do the things that I was getting with Shaw's internet 150. For 6 months it was flawless then a Shaw rep came around and offered me Shaw 300 for 2 years @$50 a month I jumped to that offer I couldn't back down with those amazing speeds, for a month it was great I can do everything and add the kitchen sink, now it seems like I am getting lower than internet 75 I can download and stream at the same time but once I start to surf web pages take for ever to load up, once I stop the stream BOOM!!! the web page loads pretty quick, so yeah it is on their end I phoned they did their tests and no issues that they see so they sent out a tech to replace the modem BOOM everything was fine for around 2 days now it is back to where I can only download and surf or surf and stream, I asked about the other modem they have( I don't remember the name) there is a $7.50 a month charge for that, are not the modems included in the price ( I guess not ) they wouldn't budge to include that modem so I'm stuck with this Hitron modem. That newer modem is made for internet 300. I now have 2 computers both have the same 3.2 GHz but 1 has 2 cores ( AMD CPU ) and the other has 4 cores ( Intel CPU ) same 8gb memory, the Intel CPU with 4 cores I am running Linux Mint 19.3 I'm getting the same result as I would with my other computer running Windows 10 Pro 1909 at this point I am very upset I can go back to the ISP that was givng me great speeds but I'll pay a lot more for internet 75 I am just about to go back but right now $$ is tight so I'll deal with this for now.
IMO Shaw should just exchange my current modem to the newer one for no monthly fee and see if that will change my speed issues.
on a second note I believe that with Shaw’s open WiFi (shared) is slowing down the speeds for home users because if you have an influx of users from 1 main outside terminal going in multiple directions including residential it's going to slow down because of those multiple signals from one line going into that terminal even though it gets separated from that terminal ( I would like to know what kind of speeds are going into that terminal to start sending out signals ) it just does not make sense that it gets separation boost to get your paid speeds to your home and you don't get those speeds when it's obvious that if the main signal is going into that terminal is HIGH and then the influx of users from that one terminal is used gets lower from the # of users from said terminal ( that makes sense ).

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help