-- If you are using 3rd party router. If you are, config...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@aspannu -- If you are using 3rd party router.

If you are, configure the cable-modem to "bridged" mode, to make it function only as a "cable-modem". This will disable its built-in WiFi, and deactivate all-but-one of the Ethernet sockets, but will provide your contracted speed to your router.

> Try resetting the router to factory defaults.

This might help.  It did not help with an older Linksys/Cisco router that I had, so I "retired" that router, and turned-off "bridged" mode. Much better.

0 Kudos

Correct!! I'm experiencing the same issues and I have bee...

monika1
Grasshopper

Correct!! I'm experiencing the same issues and I have been for months. I have called them so many times and literally nothing happens. Streaming sucks because I have to keep stopping and disconnecting and connecting and over and over. If anyone knows of other internet companies that are better please let me know. 

0 Kudos

-- If anyone knows of other internet companies that are b...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@monika1 -- If anyone knows of other internet companies that are better please let me know. 

Currently, there only are a few Internet Service Providers:

• Shaw Cablesystems
  • Shaw Direct (using satellite dishes)
  • XplorNet (using satellite dishes)
  • Bell/Telus (using fiber-optic cables)
  • Rogers Cable

All the others are "resellers" of "bulk" Internet, purchased by them from the above companies.

Looks to me like they declared exactly that (try reading...

AtreyUwU
Grasshopper

Looks to me like they declared exactly that (try reading through the entire thread). 

New Shaw customer here (switched from Telus) and we are having the same issue. 1Gbps advertised connection, get between 300-600 Mbps on any given day. 
Technician came and tested the lines (said that the splitter in our back room may have been the issue; which made no sense considering everything worked fine for the first week) and eventually he left without figuring out the issue (but said he thinks it is external to our home and they will send somebody to look into it...) but did tell us he didn't think swapping the modem or a factory reset would do any good. 
As soon as he left, I did a factory reset; speeds returned to normal, for about 3 days... and here we are again. 

Caveat emptor people... If things continue this way for so many people, there must be some sort of recourse? 

0 Kudos

I've been with Shaw since 2008..Not once in 13 years, of...

Jasta
Grasshopper

I've been with Shaw since 2008..Not once in 13 years, of being HARDWIRED to their ethernet cable has my speeds been what i've been paying for. Do you think shaw would give me a refund..no!!!!!

They use the usual excuses, it's probably wiring..or my modem, or their newest, i'm not connected to 5G i'm connected to 2G..Thing is, they don't SAY there is a differance. They Say..PAY THIS FOR THIS SERVICE. Which I pay UNRULY CABLE PRICES THAT GO UP EVERY YEAR, even though i'm on a "plan". I'm so tired of CANADA sitting back whilst their comrades get royally screwed by ALL THE INTERNET ISP providers out there. Rogers and Bell are NO different. 

I have taken years of Screenshots for shaw, using "their" listed test i.e. shaw.speedtest.net. And the speeds are ALWAYS lower with a new modem. Wait, let me tell you this SCAM. 

They tell you your equipment is older. Send you new equipment, then BILL you a "fee" last time is was $300.00 for not returning their modem on time. So they have a miscellaneous fee added to your bill..(btw look at your bill every month, there's always some sort of "late fees" added for "next months bill. Right, how can they charge late fees on a bill that isn't due.) Then, you have to pay that fee until they "FIND" YOUR MODEM IN THEIR WAREHOUSE in order to remove that charge. Meanwhile you are paying that GST, HST, PST on that bill and NEVER get reimbursed for a what is now a $500 shaw bill , So it's just the same crap over and over. We get screwed by non english speaking people who tell us to power cycle the modem and we'll ship out a new one. Same old story, same old song and dance. COME ON SHAW..QUIT SCREWING YOUR CUSTOMERS. 

0 Kudos

BTW..the reason for not getting the modem back on time, i...

Jasta
Grasshopper

BTW..the reason for not getting the modem back on time, is because I am disabled and don't have a ride, family or friend to take it back. So i have to depend on Shaw to ship me a label then get a Cab to the post office at a fee of $50 + for return fare. And considering their modem is out of date, why do they care if they get it back...I mean, they TELL ME IT'S OUT OF DATE..are they giving these modems to new customers and recharging them for it. Come on, I pay Way more than enough rental fees to pay for this dam modem. Stop double dipping and treating Disability people like dirt!

0 Kudos

-- Not once in 13 years, of being HARDWIRED to their ethe...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Jasta -- Not once in 13 years, of being HARDWIRED to their ethernet cable has my speeds been what i've been paying for.

In my experience, the Shaw infrastructure and their cable-modem generally are capable of delivering the contracted speeds.

There are some factors:

1. weather-worn connections on the telephone-poles, and up-and-down your street,
  2. weather-worn coaxial cable between the telephone-pole and your house, causing a "poor signal strength" condition,
  3. a malfunctioning coaxial-splitter inside the Shaw "demarcation box" on your wall,
  4. older coaxial-cables inside the walls of your house,
  5. older cable-modem,
  6. older, slower, computer that is not capable of running the Shaw Speed Test at its full speed.

Connect to Shaw Support, to get a "line technician" to check items #1 through #5. Some of that checking can be done remotely, without a "site-visit" to your house.

> I pay UNRULY CABLE PRICES THAT GO UP EVERY YEAR, even though i'm on a "plan".

Read the "fine-print" in the contract. The plan's zero-price-increase promise applies only to TV & Internet, not to Shaw Phone services.

> Screenshots for shaw, using "their" listed test i.e. shaw.speedtest.net.

That web-site is a few more "hops" across the Internet than "speedtest.shaw.ca".  Those extra "hops" will reduce the measured values.

> BILL you a "fee" last time is was $300.00 for not returning their modem on time.

I recently ended a Shaw Residential contract. Yes, the day after I had contacted, they added the "non-returned-equipment" fee to my account. When I returned the equipment, they reversed that fee.  No harm, no foul.

> look at your bill every month, there's always some sort of "late fees" added

That is your problem, not Shaw's problem. Credit-card companies work the same way -- if you don't pay 100% of the amount owed on the specified date, then "late-fees" are added.

> how can they charge late fees on a bill that isn't due

The late fees apply ONLY to overdue charges.

Keep contacting Shaw, and get them to remotely connect to your cable-modem, to view the "signal strength" (and other values) that the cable-modem is producing, because "bad signal strength" is quite possibly the problem.

0 Kudos

I am paying for 300 and getting 50 to 70 mbs

omkemp
Grasshopper

I am paying for 300 and getting 50 to 70 mbs

0 Kudos

-- I am paying for 300 and getting 50 to 70 mbs Are you t...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@omkemp -- I am paying for 300 and getting 50 to 70 mbs

Are you testing via the Shaw Speed Test ?

Does your computer have an Ethernet cable connecting to the Shaw cable-modem, or are you connecting via WiFi? If the latter, re-test with an Ethernet cable.

Take a close look at the lettering on the Ethernet cable. If it shows "CAT 5", discard this cable, or use it as string to support the tomato plants in your garden against the stakes, because that cable maxes-out at 100 Mbps. Then, use a "CAT 5e" cable (good up to 1000 Mbps) or a "CAT 6" cable (faster than 1000 Mbps).

If your current cable is "CAT 5e", try a different cable.

What is the manufacturer and model-number of your computer? Some older computers have a WiFi adapter that is capable of "G" speeds (56 Mbps), and some have a WiFi adapter that is capable of "N" speeds (150 or 300 Mbps).

Some older computers have an Ethernet adapter that is "10/100", but you need "10/100/1000" to receive 300 Mbps.

How fast is your computer's processor? The Shaw Speed Test requires at least a "dual-core 2.5 Ghz" processor, in order to run the test at its full speed.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos

I had the Internet 300 and was getting over 300mbps consi...

robfx
Grasshopper

I had the Internet 300 and was getting over 300mbps consistently. After dozens of phone calls selling the upgrade to gigabit I caved and went for it. Big mistake, I'm getting 150mbps now. I told Shaw I want the old modem and same package back and they say they can't do that. The techs have been to my place several times to no avail. The wifi with an iphone works around 800mbps but anything wired is 150mbps now but was oddly 250mbps when I first called about the speed loss, it was after the techs tried to fix it it dropped to 150mbps. My local network is all doing gigabit flawlessly between computers through a gigabit switch but not through Shaws gigabit modem. I'm calling it a faulty product and want my money back and also plan to switch from Shaw. I'm probably bringing a lawyer into the mix because there was downtime involved that cost me a lot of money. I never wanted to upgrade, I'm an "if it ain't fix don't broke it" kinda thinker... but the relentless phone calls to upgrade made me do it. I am not happy, not at all.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help