Wifi connections dropping

Larry23
Grasshopper

So i have had bluecurve for over a month now and all i fine but as of friday my signal keep dropping?? i have reset modem many times in the past couple days i have not moved the router at all. shaw tells me the signal is strong coming into the modem but all my devices loose connection almost every min? i think its the box itself

5 Replies

yeah - i'm really getting tired of the wifi dropping at l...

freakydeaky
Grasshopper

yeah - i'm really getting tired of the wifi dropping at least 4-6 times a day, at least that is what I experience while actively using streaming services or zoom.
i've heard its the blue curve modem, and people here have said when they switched to the HITRON modem, the issue went away, however, they say that modelm doesn't work with the higher GB plans, so i'm discussing with them now.

0 Kudos

-- they say that modem doesn't work with the higher GB pl...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@freakydeaky -- they say that modem doesn't work with the higher GB plans

My Hitron cable-modem works fine with my "Internet 300" plan. 

How much "higher" do you really NEED to get?

What servers on the Internet can send data to you faster than 100 Mbits/second?  Probably, not many.

But, when Windows Update was downloading the "2004" (April 2020) update to Windows 10, I was getting almost 350 Mbits/second.

P.S. Have you tried powering-off your modem, and then restarting it? This may cause it to choose a different WiFi channel (to avoid interference that you may now be experiencing on the current channel).

0 Kudos

Yeah I’m gonna give it a try. I’m working from home and l...

freakydeaky
Grasshopper

Yeah I’m gonna give it a try. I’m working from home and log in to my computer / network remotely, and our data center is in Portland.

I work in visual fx (CGI/Animation) so we are accessing heavy files and a lot of data streaming that needs to be as “real time” as possible, with very very high memory usage and 3D open gl graphic requirements and the software needs lots of memory to display what it needs for us to work in this capacity, albeit remotely. Half of my time as a supervisor tho is in zoom meetings and supporting a team and providing them feedback after looking at their work, so I feel it’s more important to not lose my connection intermittently all day and sacrifice some of the interactive connectivity speed a more intense 3D artist might need.

0 Kudos

-- as of Friday my signal keep dropping Where is the "dro...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Larry23 -- as of Friday my signal keep dropping

Where is the "drop":

* between your computer and your cable-modem,

* between your cable-modem and the Shaw infrascturer ?

If the latter, check the lamps on the modem, to see if they change from their "normal" pattern to something else.

Contact Shaw Support again, and get them to remotely logon to your cable-modem, to check the signal-strength reaching the modem, and other measurements, to see if the values have degraded since the last time that they checked.

0 Kudos

mine is dropping from the modem to my devices. i have ano...

Larry23
Grasshopper

mine is dropping from the modem to my devices. i have another modem coming today, i hope this fixes it 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help