Wifi dropping for months, Shaw just upsells me more product and services, problem persists

shellyse
Grasshopper

I am wondering what is going on with Shaw... seems like there are some serious problems with their service that they are passing off to the customers. and pushing to Blue Curve, problems continue.  They tell me: get more pods; problem continues: get higher speed; problem continues.  I now have fibre 1000, Blue Curve with 6 pods ... this has doubled my monthly charges and it is still dropping throughout the day for minutes, sometimes hours.  I have spent dozens of hours on the phone with technical support and customer service over the last 8 months.  Huge waste of time and money.  Really starting to quwstion the integrity of this company

6 Replies

-- problem continues ... Maybe, the problem is NOT the Bl...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@shellyse -- problem continues ...

Maybe, the problem is NOT the BlueCurve modem.

1. tighten the coaxial-cable that is attached to the BlueCurve. Use a wrench, or pliers;
  2. if the other end of the coaxial-cable connects to a wall-port, tighten that end;
  3. if the other end of the coaxial-cable connects to a 1-to-2 coaxial-splitter, e.g., the cable from one wall-port is split to two devices (Shaw PVR and the BlueCurve), bypass that splitter, and connect the BlueCurve directly to the wall-port;
  4. almost impossible: change the coaxial-cables inside the walls of your home;
  5. if your home has multiple wall-ports, there will be a Shaw "demarcation box" with multiple coaxial-cables going into it, and one coaxial-cable going out to the nearest telephone-pole. Inside that locked (only a Shaw technician can unlock it) box is a 1-to-many splitter. Get Shaw to replace that splitter.
  6. Once the box is open, get the Shaw technician to cut the connectors of each coaxial-cable off, and add new connectors;
  7. The Shaw technician can also test the signal-strength coming over that coaxial-cable from the telephone-pole.
  8. While online with a Shaw Agent, get them to remotely logon to your BlueCurve, to check the incoming "signal-strength" reaching the BlueCurve, because poor signal-strength can cause your issues.

All of the above changes cannot be solved by replacing the BlueCurve.

Once things are better, consider dropping-back to "Fibre+ 150", and paying less per month. Only a few web-sites can "push" data out at 150 Mbit/second, or any faster. Having 300 or 600 or 700 or 1000 or 1500 speed won't help, unless you have multiple simultaneous computer-users inside your home.

Same for us but I haven't begun to contact Shaw yet.  Rec...

mothratticus
Grasshopper

Same for us but I haven't begun to contact Shaw yet.  Recently upgraded to fibre and I can't even run a zoom call consistently.  Happens throughout the house on multiple devices.  Haven't gone the pod route but after your comments think I should have Shaw install cat jacks in  each room.  So much for Bluecurve wireless.

0 Kudos

-- Happens throughout the house on multiple devices. Tha...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mothratticus -- Happens throughout the house on multiple devices. 

That suggests that the problem is not between your devices and your BlueCurve cable-modem. If that is correct, then running Ethernet into multiple rooms is not going to fix your issues.

Try those 8 ideas that I posted, above, and then contact Shaw Support (currently, online chat has priority over telephone). The Shaw Agent probably will recommend some of those ideas, and might schedule a technician for a site-visit for more trouble-shooting.

> upgraded to fibre

Note that "Shaw Fibre+" is just a rebranding of the same technology (fiber-optic cables from the Shaw Central Office to your neighbourhood, and coaxial-cable for the "last mile" into your home) that you had, last year.  Or, do you mean that you changed your contracted service plans, say from "Internet 300" to "Fibre+ 300"?

0 Kudos

Thanks for your advice.  I'll run through your suggestion...

mothratticus
Grasshopper

Thanks for your advice.  I'll run through your suggestions.    And yes, I changed from internet 150 to Fibre+ 300 on a new 2 yr plan.

0 Kudos

Did Shaw mention anything about poor signal levels or did...

rstra
Grand Master

@shellyse Did Shaw mention anything about poor signal levels or did they check to see if the modem is dropping offline? Do you have any computers wired directly to the modem? Time to get them to send out a service tech, their response of getting you to pay more is not acceptable.

0 Kudos

I did the self install and saved Shaw the cost of a tech...

mothratticus
Grasshopper

I did the self install and saved Shaw the cost of a tech call.  Now I’ll save them another few dollars  and run through their 8 step program.  
I’m early in the diagnostic stage and know that I can tweak some things but so far I’m underwhelmed.  

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help