WiFi pod goes off and online after plugging into switch

ChrisWally
Grasshopper

I have three WiFi pods setup in the house. I just purchased a network switch in order to connect the furthest pod from the modem directly in via ethernet cable (to give better/more stable coverage at the far end of the house). I had to use a switch for this, as my main desktop was originally plugged in to this ethernet cable from the modem. Now the ethernet cable from the modem plugs into the switch, and both the computer and pod are wired in.

However, now the pod jumps between offline and online in the BlueCurve app every minute or so (can literally see it switch between modes several times in the app). I'm curious if anybody else has run into this issue and if they have found a solution??

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

unfortunately, this is unsupported with the switch. If yo...

shaw-tony

@ChrisWally unfortunately, this is unsupported with the switch. If you plugged your PC directly to the WiFi pod via ethernet do you notice the same issues?

0 Kudos

The computer only has one ethernet port, which is plugged...

ChrisWally
Grasshopper

The computer only has one ethernet port, which is plugged into the modem on the other side of the house. That was the reason I purchased the switch, to be able to plug both the computer and pod directly to the modem (via the switch). I find it quite odd that your internet hardware is incompatible with a network switch, considering many users are trying to hard-wire in as many devices as possible for better connections.

0 Kudos

the WiFi pods provide an output ethernet connection. Conn...

shaw-tony

@ChrisWally the WiFi pods provide an output ethernet connection. Connecting the WiFi pod to the switch may be causing issues. Generally, connecting a switch is not supported but I've seen success in it working. 

When you plug the switch to the modem, and the 2 PCs to the switch. Do they work properly? Once that is done, the PODs shouldn't be connected to the modem in any way. 

Alternatively, you can use your POD to directly connect to your second PC through ethernet.

0 Kudos

My main computer requires an ethernet connection to the m...

ChrisWally
Grasshopper

My main computer requires an ethernet connection to the modem for file sharing and connection stability. I already explained that the ethernet cable running from the modem to the computer works fine. I unplugged it to connect the switch at the computer end, in order to be able to connect both the computer and pod by ethernet. But since there is NO SUPPORT for the switch and the pod, it is useless for me. The computer only has one ethernet port and therefore cannot bypass the switch to achieve this. So now I am right back to where I started and have no help from Shaw for this...simply "yeah it's not compatible."

What you are suggesting (plug computer into pod) will not suffice for my situation and network needs. As many others have pointed out here, what is the point of this fancy new BlueCurve system if it isn't even compatible with a simple network switch to ensure the customer's connections are as stable as they require. 

That is what WE are paying for isn't it???

0 Kudos

the Pods do not require an ethernet connection. To clarif...

shaw-tony

@ChrisWally the Pods do not require an ethernet connection. To clarify this is the current set up you have below?

Capture.PNG

If it is the above set up, the WiFi pod does not need to be connected to the switch for it to work. If the pod is connected to the switch, that is likely where the IP mismatch is happening (BlueCurve modem and the WiFi pod is providing the switch with an IP at the same time). Does the set up of Modem + switch + 2 PCs work (no Pods active)?

Yes that is the setup I was trying to have. I know the po...

ChrisWally
Grasshopper

Yes that is the setup I was trying to have. I know the pods do not require an ethernet connection to work, but as I stated above the one pod I was trying to plug in directly is far away from the gateway modem and this would give it a better signal, as desired. But obviously that is not possible since it is incompatible with the switch, so I have had to move the pod to a less desirable position in the house where it cannot be hard-wired in.

0 Kudos

ah, the Pod only provides an output from the ethernet por...

shaw-tony

@ChrisWally ah, the Pod only provides an output from the ethernet port and not input. Once you had the correct set up, did everything work normally?

0 Kudos

I don't know, as I moved the pod to a different room to j...

ChrisWally
Grasshopper

I don't know, as I moved the pod to a different room to just use as part of the system, since I cannot hard wire it in.

TALK TO US
We're here to help