XB7 and Bridged mode

koi-ts
Grasshopper

Hi! I've upgraded my internet package and will be receiving an XB7 modem later this week.

I run my current modem in bridged mode as I have a mesh setup in my house that's been working great and I don't want to change that (two ASUS modems hard-wired).

I did read some messages from a while ago that mention the XB7 being slower when in bridge mode - is this still the case or have some firmware changes sorted that out now?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
9 Replies

Do you mean hardwired routers? Try letting the XB7 provid...

rickatk
Master

@koi-ts wrote:

Hi! I've upgraded my internet package and will be receiving an XB7 modem later this week.

I run my current modem in bridged mode as I have a mesh setup in my house that's been working great and I don't want to change that (two ASUS modems hard-wired).

I did read some messages from a while ago that mention the XB7 being slower when in bridge mode - is this still the case or have some firmware changes sorted that out now?

Thanks in advance!

@koi-ts Do you mean hardwired routers?

Try letting the XB7 provide your wifi services, you might be pleased. Adding non Shaw gear could slow down your main XB7. Also your setup could slow down considerably depending on how you have your routers setup  (extender / mesh). I prefer to keep everything native. I have an XB7 and one super pod to service my 3000sq rancher. Everything works well including my three wireless tv players.. 

0 Kudos

He said he doesn’t want to change. Maybe we want to use d...

Clipper99
Grasshopper

He said he doesn’t want to change. Maybe we want to use different DNS servers? Can’t do that on the XB6 or XB7.  Or maybe some us would prefer to have total control over our home network? Privacy issues? Why ditch his 2 mesh units and spend another $2-400 for Shaw mesh pods?

I’d also like to know the answer to the question.

You're correct, I didn't want to change. One router, the...

koi-ts
Grasshopper

You're correct, I didn't want to change.

One router, the node, is hard-wired to the main router and also provides a wired connection for a Chromecast. I wasn't sure if that would still be available for the Shaw pods.

I also do use a custom DNS (CIRA Canadian Shield) and wanted to keep that.

On a happy note, after bridging the above config still gets me 900-920 Mbps so I'm pretty happy about that. 🙂

Thanks for letting me know. Now I can fairly confidently...

Clipper99
Grasshopper

Thanks for letting me know. Now I can fairly confidently get myself a real wifi6 router that I can actually do some administration on!

some people prefer using proper routers with proper mesh...

thekaz
Grasshopper

some people prefer using proper routers with proper mesh ..... using proper gear that has not been molested by "shaw firmware" makes diagnosing issues ridiculously simple

Thanks for this info! I just upgraded from the HiTron to...

russtopia
Grasshopper

Thanks for this info! I just upgraded from the HiTron to the XB7 (to get the Fibre+/1M tier) and am highly annoyed that 24 hours after installation, the XB7 upgraded to what must be its latest firmware -- and most of the Advanced Page functions (Port Forwarding/Triggering) are now GONE, with just a link to 'internet.shaw.ca' ... which refuses to load on my Linux Vivaldi browser because Shaw says it's 'not supported or up to date'. They want me to install the latest Chrome or Firefox before I can even access CORE modem functions now. (BTW Shaw's other web pages also are facist about the 'latest supported browser' .. I couldn't even open their web chat on desktop with Vivaldi either).

Into bridge mode I go... and out to get a real router. Higher speed's nice, but REALLY, Shaw? This offloading of local admin functions to external Shaw websites is just stupid and has to go.

I see this all the time on the Shaw Community, people com...

rickatk
Master

I see this all the time on the Shaw Community, people complaining about how their setup, which consists of unsupported gear, is not working properly.

I am amazed at how many people lose sight of the fact that Shaw Blue Curve is pretty much a consumer level product which focus on consumer based interfaces and convenience. Those that like to add non Shaw gear do so at their own peril.

There is much to be said about working to spec. Most professional organizations and IT departments demand nothing less. Those organizations don’t have time fiddling around with non standard gear and processes.

To add: I recently got some junk mail from EERO by Amazon...

rickatk
Master

To add: I recently got some junk mail from EERO by Amazon. I spec’d out a gigabit mesh system, $900.00. Gigabit, 802.1ac etc. Oh man that’s a lot of rental payments. My Shaw XB7 Gigabit mesh works just fine. 

0 Kudos

So Vivaldi browser is non-standard? It's based directly o...

russtopia
Grasshopper

So Vivaldi browser is non-standard? It's based directly on Chrome.

So you really want to go back to the bad old days of "only works with Internet Explorer v(ancient, vulnerable version)?

And what is the justification for removing core admin functions such as port forwarding from the device's own firmware? It just adds useless dependencies to the system. The XB7 should be able to be managed completely from its own local web server interface. Like every other cable modem, ever.

TALK TO US
We're here to help