Another Rate Increase !!!!!!!!

bostonbob
Grasshopper

Talk about a slap in the face. So Gateway users get no new HD channels but are supposed to accept another rate increase starting in January. 😡

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/service-updates-outages/jan-1-2020-rate-adjustment-faq/ta-p/9851

At this point even if SHAW adds a bunch of new HD channels for their Gateway customers ( and we know that there's about 0% chance of this happening ) I think I'm outta here at the end of May when my 2 year deal is up. I have a hard time now paying just under $125 for what I'm currently getting so there's no freaking way I'm going to accept paying any more then that. Like I said before - it's too bad that SHAW is forcing my hand here because when it comes to overall performance I think they do an outstanding job.

Labels (1)
41 Replies

I understand rate adjustments can be frustrating and we w...

shaw-tony

@bostonbob I understand rate adjustments can be frustrating and we want to ensure your plan best suits your needs. At this time to enjoy more HD channels, you will need to upgrade to BlueCurve TV. I know that there are some features you are looking for that exist with the Gateway and have passed the feedback along to our product team to implement. We appreciate your long-standing business with us. Let me know if you have any questions.

0 Kudos

Tony - the one thing I just cannot understand is how thes...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

Tony - the one thing I just cannot understand is how these new HD channels are available on BlueSky / BlueCurve but not Gateway. If these new HD channels are broadcast via MPEG-4 then there's no reason that Gateway customers should not be able to access them. 🤔

the new HD channels are delivered over IP whereas channel...

shaw-tony

@bostonbob the new HD channels are delivered over IP whereas channels on the Gateway and older equipment are over QAM. MPEG-4 is the compression rate of the video delivered over QAM. The new HD channels are not available to be delivered in QAM.

Tony - I don't like the answer but thanks for providing i...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@shaw-tony wrote:

@bostonbob the new HD channels are delivered over IP whereas channels on the Gateway and older equipment are over QAM. MPEG-4 is the compression rate of the video delivered over QAM. The new HD channels are not available to be delivered in QAM.

Tony - I don't like the answer but thanks for providing it. OK then for all the Gateway users here ( and it sure sounds like there are a lot of SHAW customers still using the Gateway system ) can somebody from SHAW please explain why we never got all those promised new HD channels once the DNU was completed. I am sure that this broken promise has more to do with unhappy customers / customers actually leaving SHAW than the continuous rising rates does.

Do you know how much your increase is yet, bostonbob? I'm...

AbbyMan
Grasshopper

Do you know how much your increase is yet, bostonbob? I'm on Int 600 and Large TV, but I haven't received my invoice yet.

0 Kudos

I personally think if someone has fewer channels in HD &...

CoffeeLover
Grasshopper

I personally think if someone has fewer channels in HD & more channels in SD then we should get a discounted rate....my opinion 

0 Kudos

Well my 2 year deal is good until the end of May so I'm e...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@AbbyMan wrote:

Do you know how much your increase is yet, bostonbob? I'm on Int 600 and Large TV, but I haven't received my invoice yet.

Well my 2 year deal is good until the end of May so I'm exempt from any rate increase until then. Unless I can get a similar deal to what I have now ( Medium TV, basic home phone and Internet 15 ) for about $124/month ) I'm outta here. Even if I get a great deal I still might leave because this complete lack of any new HD channels for Gateway customers really p*sses me off. 😡

0 Kudos

Why the hell do we even have SD channels anymore ???? Eve...

bostonbob
Grasshopper

@CoffeeLover wrote:

I personally think if someone has fewer channels in HD & more channels in SD then we should get a discounted rate....my opinion 

Why the hell do we even have SD channels anymore ???? Even most seniors have HD TVs at this point. 🤔

0 Kudos

Thanks bostonbob. :-)

AbbyMan
Grasshopper

Thanks bostonbob. 🙂 

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help