Are there plans to update Bluecurve TV App (formally Freerange) from Flash?

Mustard
Grasshopper

I enjoy using the Bluecurve TV App on my computer (formally Freerange).

Recently, though, there have been issues after the latest chrome update. It's dominated the last few weeks of this forum, in fact. I'm sure the techs will be able to figure out a solution, but I wonder... are there any plans to update the app from Flash?

Flash has been on the way out for some time now and you already have to do a bit of a work around (forcing the browser to allow it) just to keep Bluecurve running.

Please tell me this is all just a stop gap measure while a new HTML5 or other version is being developed.

Labels (2)
18 Replies

I'm sorry, I don't have any specific details to share on...

shaw-valerie

@Mustard I'm sorry, I don't have any specific details to share on this topic, but with Flash support coming to an end next year, some type of change will obvioulsy need to occur in regards to this service. 

0 Kudos

Any updates to this as using flash is a pita now on Edge...

bloodhound
Grasshopper

Any updates to this as using flash is a pita now on Edge as well as Chrome?

0 Kudos

Any updates? My flash keeps crashing.

JJ5
Grasshopper

Any updates? My flash keeps crashing.

0 Kudos

I want to love it...the shows available are fanstastic, b...

S2000
Grasshopper

I want to love it...the shows available are fanstastic, but FLASH is just getting worse.  When will a better solution than Flash Player be supported?

0 Kudos

Any updates now?  5 months to losing Flash.  From what I...

doug_scott
Grasshopper

Any updates now?  5 months to losing Flash.  From what I can see Shaw is pushing internet TV hard out west.  Anyone that signs up now with no information on what is goinig to happen in 5 months is taking a risk of losing their TV access at the end of year.  If there is still no news on what is going to happen, that can really only mean one thing, development is having issues with no projected time of completion.  They still have beta testing to go through.  Unless they have changed their way, beta testing ran close to a year when PPV was first introduced back in 91 I think.  I signed up to be a beta tester back then, before Shaw and Rogers did their customer swap.  That beta testing was close to a year before going full release.  

-- is taking a risk of losing their TV access at the end...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@doug_scott -- is taking a risk of losing their TV access at the end of year. 

There is no need for Adobe Flash when connecting the PVR to any TV via an HDMI cable.  So, in that configuration, nothing will be "lost".

I agree that using the BlueCurve app on your computer currently needs Adobe Flash.

Like most companies, Shaw does not announce products that are not yet released to the public.  For example, currently, Ford will not tell you anything about their "2022" vehicles, e.g., which, if any, sedans will still be offered, or whether their lowest-end vehicle will be an SUV. Of course, Microsoft is different, with "beta" and "insider" pre-releases of a new update to Windows 10.

0 Kudos

Well duh. Ya think? We just want to know for sure that it...

dbmarc
Grasshopper

Well duh. Ya think? We just want to know for sure that it's going to happen and sooner rather than later. The deadline is just over 6 months away so Shaw had better get cracking.

Although paying for TV, I haven't watched anything since...

Altiv
Grasshopper

Although paying for TV, I haven't watched anything since the Pandemic started due to most shows and sports being cancelled.  Finally hockey is back but because they are jam packing games in, some are being played during the day,  I want to catch some of the action on my computer at work.   Just went to log in and it says I need to install Flash.  Are you kidding me.  Who in the world would want to destroy the security of their computer installing long discontinued Flash.   Asking your customers to do so is completely irresponsible.  iOS doesn't use flash, yet I can watch TV from there.   Get with the program Shaw or your TV will become even more irrelevant than it already is.  I guess, I'll be watching the game on my tiny phone today.  Glad I am paying a hi-tech company for such bleeding edge service /s

This is August 25, 2020. I just got off the phone with a...

Pixeldrummer
Grasshopper

This is August 25, 2020. I just got off the phone with a Shaw Support agent who insisted that the request to install/authorize Flash that pops up when wanting to watch on a PC using bluecurvetv.shaw.ca is something my PC does and has nothing to do with Shaw. Explaining to him that this is a prompt that appears after reaching the web address "bluecurvetv.shaw.ca" in Firefox as well as Chrome browsers, that it is not an error message, and that it is generated by that web page in order to make it function, didn't seem to sink in. (Having been a Web Developer gives me a bit of an edge here.) I can't believe that Shaw still requires Flash. I guess I am lucky that in my FF an outdated version of Flash could still be turned on with a few warnings. I got in, but as the site is not secure and runs with warnings. And that is not good enough!

I have several other devices on which bluecurve runs via app without problems. But while I have that privilege, some others may not and are still working with older equipment. Please inform your support people of those facts and get your programming updated so that your dedicated subdomain bluecurvetv.shaw.ca actually functions without security issues.

TALK TO US
We're here to help