Blue Curve TV Constant Audio Dropouts and Video Freezing

darkwingz24
Grasshopper

We've had our Blue Curve TV for a couple weeks now and it's been a frustrating experience.  Video will pixelized so badly or freeze altogether and audio will cut out completely.  We only have 1 wireless box set up and it's no more than 4ft from the modem.  I have reset and spent hours with support and they've reset the modem and wireless box 8 different ways.  Nothing has improved the picture.  I finally tried plugging in the wireless box via ethernet and that does seem to have solved the issue of audio cutting out and overly pixelated video.  So I looked up the wifi signal with a wifi scanner app and the shaw wifi is on the same channel as a neighbour.  So I thought this would be a simple fix just change the channel of the wifi signal and I was told by support that this is not possible.  I mean this seems like a pretty major flaw if you can't change the channel of the wifi signal?  I have a 2nd wireless box for another room and that room can't be wired that easily so I was hoping to get the wireless part working but maybe its not possible?  SO far not impressed with this new system.

Labels (1)
12 Replies

1. Try connecting the Xi6 box directly to the router usin...

rickatk
Master

@darkwingz24 wrote:

We've had our Blue Curve TV for a couple weeks now and it's been a frustrating experience.  Video will pixelized so badly or freeze altogether and audio will cut out completely.  We only have 1 wireless box set up and it's no more than 4ft from the modem.  I have reset and spent hours with support and they've reset the modem and wireless box 8 different ways.  Nothing has improved the picture.  I finally tried plugging in the wireless box via ethernet and that does seem to have solved the issue of audio cutting out and overly pixelated video.  So I looked up the wifi signal with a wifi scanner app and the shaw wifi is on the same channel as a neighbour.  So I thought this would be a simple fix just change the channel of the wifi signal and I was told by support that this is not possible.  I mean this seems like a pretty major flaw if you can't change the channel of the wifi signal?  I have a 2nd wireless box for another room and that room can't be wired that easily so I was hoping to get the wireless part working but maybe its not possible?  SO far not impressed with this new system.

1. Try connecting the Xi6 box directly to the router using ethernet if you can. I ran into a similar problem with my wifi speaker sitting too close to my wifi router.

2. Try setting your router into discrete band, that usually involves selecting the 5GHz and adding 5GHz to the SSID(name). Also be sure to have different passwords on each band.

3. With your modem in discrete mode and accessing the web control panel http://10.0.0.1 via your web browser, you should be able to go in and select your channels. You may need to secure the assistance of tech support for that maneuver. 

I found using the Xi6 boxes to be very handy, giving me cable access to places I didn't have an outlet. This involves good, stable wifi signal which takes a little bit of troubleshooting.

Very similar issues with sound plus video freezing.

Ivantsound
Grasshopper

Very similar issues with sound plus video freezing.

-- very similar issues Did you try what suggested? This...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Ivantsound -- very similar issues

Did you try what @rickatk suggested?

This is a user-to-user discussion forum, not a path to Shaw Support.

I recommend that you contact Shaw (currently, online chat has priority over telephone) and get them to trouble-shoot.

It could be weak signal-strength reaching your TV box, or a failing disk-drive inside the PVR.  The disk-drive is used to allow the "rewind" and "slow-forward" controls to work.

0 Kudos

I’m experiencing the exact same thing

mikvat
Grasshopper

I’m experiencing the exact same thing 

Same problem here. Hope they figure it out!

Mtblvr
Grasshopper

Same problem here. Hope they figure it out!

There you have it. Following Hesscham's note, Shaw is awa...

Pedro_in_Wpg
Grasshopper

There you have it. Following Hesscham's note, Shaw is aware that they have problems and "are working to have it resolved as soon as possible". Hope they do so sooner than later, as some customers may lose patience and cancel their service or go back to the CATV STB's more robust system which also looked better than Bluecurve imo but I do prefer the BlueCurve IPTV system features. One can speculate what the issue is but it's in the hands of Shaw technical operations to find the solution. ‌‌
A possible explanation could be a data bandwidth issue or a S/W management issue with their infrastructure crippling the quality of the VOIP TV services at least here in Winnipeg South area and in other locations. I don't remember many issues like this when I first switched from CATV STB's/PVR's to the Bluecurve TV/Internet System 8 months ago . It seems to have worsened in the last 2 months for my Bluecurve TV system on all 3 remote boxes on Live TV content as well as the Cloud based PVR system.  I've noticed the playback errors on the PVR recordings occur at the same place when played back which seems to suggest a recording error on the Cloud Server, however the skipping is also occurring on live content.‌‌
Coincidentally my Internet 300 service has intermittent dropouts for a minute or two from time to time losing internet service for tablet, phone and security cams using the internet thru Wi-Fi.  Is anyone else having internet dropouts?

-- Coincidentally my Internet 300 service has intermitten...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Pedro_in_Wpg -- Coincidentally my Internet 300 service has intermittent dropouts for a minute or two from time to time losing internet service for tablet, phone and security cams using the internet thru Wi-Fi. 

Since it is coincidental, it could be the coaxial-cable between your home and the nearest telephone-pole that is the problem.

Do you have a coaxial-splitter: wall-outlet -> splitter -> PVR, and splitter -> cable-modem ?  If so, temporarily try bypassing it.

Because this is a peer-to-peer discussion forum, not a path to Shaw Support, I recommend that you contact Shaw (currently, online chat has priority over telephone) and get the Shaw Agent to trouble-shoot.

> Is anyone else having internet dropouts?

Judging by other posts on this forum, the answer is an unqualified yes.  But, those other people don't say in which region they are living, and whether they have contacted Shaw Support.  😞

0 Kudos

- same thing   - same problem here. Hope they figure it o...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@mikvat - same thing

@Mtblvr  - same problem here. Hope they figure it out!

In both cases, I would start looking from your "end", before blaming Shaw.

Before calling Shaw:

• try a different Ethernet cable between your computer and your cable-modem
  • try a different coaxial-cable between your cable-modem and your wall-outlet
  • if you have a coaxial-splitter between your cable-modem and your wall-outlet, temporarily bypass it, or replace the splitter
  • if you have a different active wall-outlet in your home, connect your cable-modem to it, to see if the coaxial-cable inside the walls is the problem

I recommend that you contact Shaw Support, for them to trouble-shoot:

• replace the coaxial-splitter inside the Shaw "demarcation box" on the outside of your home
  • remotely, they can logon to your cable-modem, to check for weak signal-strength
  • schedule a technician to come to that Shaw box, and do more checking

0 Kudos

I have had the Shaw Bluecurve set up since about April an...

MG_1982
Grasshopper

I have had the Shaw Bluecurve set up since about April and I have had NOTHING but problems. The sound cuts out constantly, the wifi drops out at least 4 times a day (makes it a real problem for working from home) and a host of other issues. I have contacted support several times only to be told “everything looks to be working fine”. I’m honestly so pi$$ed off at this point I wish I hadn’t signed a contract so I could switch providers. 

shaw...I need you to fix this problem!!!

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help