Can I see BlueCurve TV outside Canada

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jump to solution

Mostly "no" to your question

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

See: Is it possible to use BlueCurve TV App outside of Canada? 

Due to content rights restrictions, [Shaw] customers will not be able to stream live TV and on-demand content on BlueCurve TV App outside of Canada.

It also says that if you download the content before you leave Canada, you can view it later.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Jump to solution

Mostly "no" to your question

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

See: Is it possible to use BlueCurve TV App outside of Canada? 

Due to content rights restrictions, [Shaw] customers will not be able to stream live TV and on-demand content on BlueCurve TV App outside of Canada.

It also says that if you download the content before you leave Canada, you can view it later.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

I suppose that if your device is connected to a VPN-serve...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

I suppose that if your device is connected to a VPN-server in Canada, your device will appear to be "in Canada", and thus would comply with that "Canada-only" restriction about broadcast rights.

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

What is VPN ? How do i set up VPN ?

Aboucar
Grasshopper

What is VPN ? How do i set up VPN ?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

-- VPN --> Virtual Private Network.  Google it, to find a...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@Aboucar -- VPN --> Virtual Private Network.  Google it, to find a company that has VPN-servers in Canada.

You sign-up (monthly fees apply) with a VPN company, and you run the VPN client on your computer (while you are in the USA), to connect with a VPN-server in Canada.  Shaw's servers see an IP-address in Canada, and allow the VPN-server to connect to Shaw programming, and the VPN service receives the output from Shaw, and sends the output to your computer (in the USA).

Or, consider Shaw Direct service. It is based on having a satellite-dish near to your TV.  Some people use Shaw Direct while at their summer cottage, or when their RV is parked in the USA, and Shaw Cable while at their primary residence in Canada.  In the past, Shaw offered a discount on Shaw Direct, if you also were a Shaw Cable customer. They may still do so. In such an arrangement, you can use Shaw Direct for up to 180 days. 

Jump to solution

Ok I'll look into it thank you !

Aboucar
Grasshopper

Ok I'll look into it thank you !

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

VPN isn't working for me... i just get three dots animati...

LadyBarbarella
Grasshopper

VPN isn't working for me... i just get three dots animating and it never actually starts playing.  This sucks....

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

This is what I just posted on https://anonymania.com/get-...

dee69
Grasshopper

This is what I just posted on https://anonymania.com/get-shaw-freerange-tv-outside-canada/#:~:text=The%20answer%20is%3A%20NO.,bord...

Well, there is a way (at least for another 9 months) to easily watch everything on your home cable/satellite TV service with no need for a VPN anywhere in the world.  It's using a Slingbox -- see slingbox.com .  Note that this is not the same as Sling TV.  The box cost me ~$125 about 6-7 years ago and there are no monthly fees.  You just plug it into your home cable/sat box, and your home internet and, voila, you can watch any TV channel your subscribe to, watch all of your DVR content, pause, skip, set recordings, play back recordings and anything you can do on your home TV. You even load an exact image of your home remote control and simply press the buttons as if you are sitting on your sofa at home.  In the last several years, I used it in several locations in USA, Europe (Netherlands, Portugal, Belgium, Spain...), South Africa, Shanghai and Beijing, Costa Rica, Canary Islands and elsewhere.  The only issue I've encountered is that it can buffer frequently on foreign wifi if it's not up to fast Canadian speeds, and this can cause problems using it with Chromecast, but even with slower internet it usually worked well directly on my iPhone 8, laptop and Kindle Fire tablet. BUT, AND THIS IS A BIG BUT, Slingbox announced in November 2020 that it was discontinuing the product; effective Nov. 2021 it is no longer supported, and effective Nov. 2022 will no longer work at all.  I'm guessing that they are discontinuing it because all Cable/Sat providers provide a free service like Blue Curve but, not only will Blue curve not work outside Canada, you also can't record programs to play later, like hockey games and newscasts that you can't watch live in distant time zones.  Also, perhaps they have legal issues the same as Shaw has if it allows viewing outside the region?  I don't know.  You would think some former employees would buy the already working technology and continue the service, even with a monthly fee.  I'm looking everywhere for a replacement with these capabilities to use after next November.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

Victoria BC is actually in Canada.  How do I convince Sha...

johnfmullane
Grasshopper

Victoria BC is actually in Canada.  How do I convince Shaw not to block my cable because they think I am in the USA?

0 Kudos
Jump to solution

How are you connecting to the internet?

rstra
Grand Master

@johnfmullane 

How are you connecting to the internet?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help