BlueCurve TV Voice commands bug - box thinks it is in KidsZone when watching regular TV

DanML
Grasshopper

When trying to use voice commands to start an app such as Netflix it gives me the error "To use this feature, you'll need to leave the KidsZone first" even though I'm not in KidsZone, or in an app, just regular TV.

I've tried a restart, a refresh, and a cold boot but still this error persists. Short of a factory reset, is there anything I can do to workaround this bug?

Labels (2)
11 Replies

-- from a Shaw web-site: Did You Know The quickest way to...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@DanML -- from a Shaw web-site:

Did You Know

The quickest way to access Kids Zone is pressing the Microphone Button on your BlueCurve TV Remote and saying "Kids Zone".

and:

Did You Know

You can also browse to Kids Zone using the BlueCurve TV Guide by going to: Settings > Preferences > General > Kids Zone.

and:

Did You Know

The BlueCurve TV PVR will record the program regardless of the Parental Control settings.

However, if a recorded program has a Parental Control lock, you will not be able to see or hear it without first entering your Locks PIN.

--------------

Can you use your "Locks PIN" to exit from KidsZone ?

0 Kudos

to mdk I don't think that you are understanding his quest...

ursinalberta
Grasshopper

to mdk

I don't think that you are understanding his question.

0 Kudos

-- I don't think Huh? The remote-control is in "KidsZone"...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@ursinalberta -- I don't think

Huh? The remote-control is in "KidsZone" mode, and they does not know how to use their PIN to leave that mode.

Please address their issue.

>>> short of a factory reset

That option should be attempted.

0 Kudos

I am not in KidsZone, just in the regular guide mode, don...

DanML
Grasshopper

I am not in KidsZone, just in the regular guide mode, don't use the parental lock PIN, and can change the channel to not-kid-friendly shows. The voice command for KidsZone does nothing and whenever I speak a command into the remote I get the message I wrote above. There is no KidsZone option through the menus, it's gone. This is clearly a bug where one part of the software thinks the KidsZone app is active when it is not. I'd rather not factory reset as all the recorded shows will be lost and hoping that the nightly reboot the box does would fix it but apparently not.

0 Kudos

Correction. I just grabbed the remote, gave the voice com...

DanML
Grasshopper

Correction. I just grabbed the remote, gave the voice command "kidszone" and got the message "To use this feature, you'll need to leave the KidsZone first".

0 Kudos

"You can also browse to Kids Zone using the BlueCurve TV...

DanML
Grasshopper

"You can also browse to Kids Zone using the BlueCurve TV Guide by going to: Settings > Preferences > General > Kids Zone."

The options under that menu are:

1. Restrict Content by Age Range
  2. Allow Ability to Set Recordings
  3. Play the Next Episode
  4. Common Sense Media Ratings and Reviews

Nowhere in any of the menus is the KidsZone app itself. I can browse to the apps and start Netflix, Amazon, YouTube etc any voice command for them results in the error message above.

0 Kudos

Do you have more than one BlueCurve TV box, is it happeni...

rstra
Grand Master

Do you have more than one BlueCurve TV box, is it happening on all of them? This is not a bug, could be just a problem with that specific box. You will likely need to contact Shaw to troubleshoot, you are recording to the cloud, I THINK your recordings are safe.

0 Kudos

-- I'd rather not factory reset as all the recorded shows...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@DanML -- I'd rather not factory reset as all the recorded shows will be lost 

You seem to have a few options:

1. get a replacement BlueCurve PVR from Shaw. If your recorded shows are stored on the disk-drive inside the older BlueCurve PVR, as they would be, before the "cloud" service was rolled-out in your region, they cannot be transferred to the new BlueCurve PVR.
  2. get a replacement BlueCurve from Shaw. If your recorded shows are stored to Shaw's "cloud", they probably are linked to your Shaw account, not to your BlueCurve. I presume that anything you have recorded to the "cloud" will be accessible from your BlueCurve, and from any "pod" that you currently have on your account. Shaw does promote that you can go from room-to-room in your residence, and continue to watch a recording at your new location.
  3. Do a "factory reset", and hope that it will reset only the "settings", and will not purge the stored content.
  4. Contact Shaw, for them to trouble-shoot.

Good luck!

0 Kudos

--  I just grabbed the remote, gave the voice command "ki...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@DanML --  I just grabbed the remote, gave the voice command "kidszone" and got the message "To use this feature, you'll need to leave the KidsZone first".

Grab the remote, and try a command like "Leave KidsZone", or "Exit KidsZone". Does it prompt you to enter a PIN?

Can you set a PIN, via the My Shaw Portal?

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help