BlueSky Netflix, VOD or Apps?

rickatk
Master

Is watching Netflix from the BlueSky On Demand (VOD) menu different than from the app section in BlueSky?

I ask this question taking into consideration the source of the streaming.

Is the VOD version streaming like other VOD  titles?

Is looking at Netflix via the app section more like watching Netflix over a streaming device via wifi?

Does the BlueSky box actually have wifi streaming capabilities?

Finally, I have been looking at Netflix from a few different sources, VOD, BlueSky Apps section, Apple TV and now though my new TV Apps which is bringing in HDR. The HDR streams look pretty good, but the VOD source is no slouch either. My Apple TV is not 4K HDR and the picture looks fine, some moire typical of streaming sources.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: BlueSky Netflix, VOD or Apps?

shaw-tony

Hey rickatk,

Thank you for reaching out! If you bring up a Netflix title through the On Demand screen, it will still open up the Netflix app to access the content. VOD streaming titles will be through Shaw servers and any Netflix titles will be through the Netflix servers on an internet connection through the BlueSky TV box. The BlueSky TV box has an internal internet connection to access Netflix and other apps. Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

Re: BlueSky Netflix, VOD or Apps?

rickatk
Master

shaw-tony wrote:

Hey rickatk,

Thank you for reaching out! If you bring up a Netflix title through the On Demand screen, it will still open up the Netflix app to access the content. VOD streaming titles will be through Shaw servers and any Netflix titles will be through the Netflix servers on an internet connection through the BlueSky TV box. The BlueSky TV box has an internal internet connection to access Netflix and other apps. Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

Hi Tony:

Your reply was very helpful. I assume the “Netflix and other apps” are connected by and internal mechanism over coaxial rather than some sort of BlueSky terminal box WiFi. Such a connection for future apps and 4K sounds very promising.

0 Kudos

Are the apps in the Bluesky box (like Netflix) streaming...

IslandFisherman
Grasshopper

Are the apps in the Bluesky box (like Netflix) streaming in 4K HDR or does the Bluesky box not do that.  The other fellow asked that and there was no answer.

0 Kudos

Netflix titles which are available in 4K can be played in...

shaw-valerie

@IslandFisherman Netflix titles which are available in 4K can be played in 4K on the BlueCurve TV 4K box and 4K wireless box, provided of course that you have a Netflix premium subscription which allows access to 4K titles and a 4K TV. 

0 Kudos

I would like to add that I have been following Shaw’s IPT...

rickatk
Master

@shaw-valerie wrote:

@IslandFisherman Netflix titles which are available in 4K can be played in 4K on the BlueCurve TV 4K box and 4K wireless box, provided of course that you have a Netflix premium subscription which allows access to 4K titles and a 4K TV. 

I would like to add that I have been following Shaw’s IPTV journey for a few years now. I have been asking for things like more apps and content options as well as wireless streaming hardware solutions in this forum. Certainly as I look back Shaw has covered a lot of ground. 

Adding up services like:
Conventional TV guide line up; 
VOD; 
Cloud PVR;
Netflix, Crave,YouTube, Prime and probably some I have missed;

Coupled with BluCurve TV boxes, be they wired or wireless, Shaw has put together a pretty good streaming package. 

I find Netflix 4K looks pretty good and registers on my TV as HDR /UHD. I believe the signal the TV is receiving is UHD. On my non 4K TVs, the picture quality looks very good too! Prime is coming in very clear and pristine as well. The problem with the Prime subtitles persists however.

Certainly Shaw and the other cable companies using the 1X platform are offering a serious option to conventional streaming boxes like Apple TV. The X1 platform offers Cloud PVR and a TV guide line up of live TV. Features that set the platform apart from other streaming services. I would still like to see CBC Gem as an app even though most of the content could be found hunting around the guide. 

Perhaps one day we might even see the Disney + and Apple TV app.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help