Can Wireless TV and Gateway Co-exist?

JeffGWpg
Grasshopper

I currently have Gateway with a bunch of portals. If I switch to Wireless TV, will the Gateway stop working?

I recently converted my mother-in-law's Gateway to Wireless and noted that while one wireless box was hooked up and working, the gateway portal was still working on the other tv.

I have 3.5 TB of storage and a lot of recorded shows that I want to go through so I really don't want to lose access.

Does anyone know if the Gateway will continue to function once your account has been converted to Wireless?

Thanks in advance!

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

--  Does anyone know if the Gateway will continue to func...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@JeffGWpg --  Does anyone know if the Gateway will continue to function once your account has been converted to Wireless?

I do not "know", but I can imagine a situation where you live in the main part of your house, and you have an in-law suite. You will have a "Gateway" contract with Shaw, and the occupant of the suite will have a "BlueCurve" (wireless feed to remote TV boxes). In that case, just one coaxial-cable between your house and the nearest telephone-pole will carry both signals.  But, there will be two contracts with Shaw.

$o, in your case, I $u$pect that you will need a $econd contract with $haw, to feed both your Gateway and your BlueCurve $y$tems, i.e., it is a "marketing" deci$ion, rather than a "technical" restriction.

Yes, switching away from the Gateway will "forfeit" all your recorded content -- the content cannot be "transferred".

0 Kudos

Intere$ting per$pective! I understand that recordings can...

JeffGWpg
Grasshopper

Intere$ting per$pective!

I understand that recordings cannot be transferred but if the Gateway is only retained / powered on for the purpose of feeding a portal some recorded love, do you think that might be doable?

0 Kudos

Is correct, while the Gateway and BlueCurve can physicall...

rstra
Grand Master

@JeffGWpg 

@mdk  Is correct, while the Gateway and BlueCurve can physically co-exist, you would need a separate account for each system. 

0 Kudos

Do you think even just for playback?

JeffGWpg
Grasshopper

Do you think even just for playback?

0 Kudos

The Gateway may remain active for a little while and you...

rstra
Grand Master

@JeffGWpg  The Gateway may remain active for a little while and you could possibly be able to access recordings, but it is likely not going to remain that way for long. Your best bet would be to view your recordings before having BlueCurve installed, or you could probably put the gateway system on Limited TV while you finish the recordings, but there would be cost with that option.

0 Kudos

thanks for the info...appreciate it!

JeffGWpg
Grasshopper

@rstra thanks for the info...appreciate it!

0 Kudos

and   are correct. My experience has been every time I ha...

rickatk
Master

@rstra and @mdk  are correct.

My experience has been every time I have made a change regarding the Gateway or other legacy PVR hardware, the recordings have been lost. Indeed the Gateway used to do that on its own. Local drive recordings on PVR gear never was very stable.

Based on my experience I suggest biting the bullet, watch your shows (remember many of those shows are now available on line elsewhere) and get with your transition to BlueCurve TV. I have been using the Wireless TV Players for well over a year now. The cloud storage has been far more stable than PVR and those little Blue Curve streamer boxes have worked very well. IPTV is the future and is the main technology behind Blue curve.

Hanging on to old legacy gear will only serve to frustrate and will not work with the Blue Curve setup in any way. 

For the Basement you may need to consider a Pod to extend the cable modem signal which is part of Shaw’s competent MESH technology. 

TALK TO US
We're here to help