Connecting new hardware - DXC3510 PVR to existing system

WinnipegMike
Grasshopper

Hi there,

I am trying to help a friend connect a new PVR to their existing "network", but I seem to be stumped. I learned that the Shaw Gateway TV is it's own closed network - thou shalt not mess with it. (Oops). But attempting to insert a two-way splitter before Points 1, 2 or 3 in the drawing below causes the "sub system" that runs off that same splitter to fail (phone, internet, and Cable). Do you need a special splitter to run this new "rogue" PVR? The PVR works no matter where connected, it just causes the "sub system" to fail. Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

Shaw.JPG

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Install a two way splitter off either the internet or pho...

rstra
Grand Master

Install a two way splitter off either the internet or phone legs. You could connect the 3510 in the moca network, but you would need a filter on the box. To be clear, this is the older gateway and not BlueCurve

0 Kudos

Thanks for this suggestion. What is stumping me is that I...

WinnipegMike
Grasshopper

Thanks for this suggestion. What is stumping me is that I installed 2-way splitter above 2 and 3 and then haD one feed the DCX and the other either phone or internet, but both attempts caused phone and internet to stop working. Does that make any sense?

So unless I am misunderstanding, I believe that I did try your suggestion.

I can confirm that the TV system is the Shaw Gateway not Blue Curve.

0 Kudos

-- I don't understand your diagram. Be sure to correctly...

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

@WinnipegMike -- I don't understand your diagram.

Be sure to correctly use the "in" and "out" connectors on each splitter.

Also, see: How to: Connect your Shaw Gateway HDPVR portal 

How can I wire my modem and HDPVR portal to the same coax outlet?
If you have two devices that need to share the coax outlet, you’ll need a 2-way splitter and 3 coax cables. Attach one cable to the wall outlet and splitter port labelled IN. Attach each of the other two cables to an OUT splitter port, and then to your HDPVR portal and modem.

There is a diagram on that page, too.

Why add another PVR? The Shaw Gateway PVR supports the connection of Shaw "Portal" boxes. All the content saved on the Gateway PVR can be accessed by any Portal.

Each Portal connects via coaxial-cable. The Portal communicates using "MoCA" (Multimedia over Coax Alliance) through the coaxial-cables inside your home.

It might be possible to disable MoCA on the Gateway, to avoid any interference with your other coaxially-connected devices.

Try:

mdk
Legendary Grand Master

Try:

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos

Could be a faulty splitter, is it one from Shaw or store...

rstra
Grand Master

Could be a faulty splitter, is it one from Shaw or store bought? You could also just get a 4 way splitter from the Shaw store 

0 Kudos

LOL! Your question of why not just connect another Gatewa...

WinnipegMike
Grasshopper

LOL! Your question of why not just connect another Gateway portal is a VERY valid question! I only have two answers and will not suggest for a moment that either one of them are good ones!

1) Shaw sent out the refurbished DCX so I was just trying to make due with what they had.

2) I got so focused on solving the problem with the components I had that I didn't think outside the box! I am "funny" that way... determined to make it work or understand why it isn't working.

I can assure you that I had all the IN and OUTs were connected correctly. That is why I was so stumped that it wasn't working.

Your suggestion of just adding another portal makes so much sense. Unless there is maximum number of portals you can connect (they already have three)… perhaps you know the answer to this one.

Also, if Shaw is sending service technicians out again (post-Covid lockdown), then I have no problem bowing out. Although "getting it working" would have felt great!

0 Kudos

I never considered a faulty splitter. Possible? Can't say...

WinnipegMike
Grasshopper

I never considered a faulty splitter. Possible? Can't say. I think I will pursue the 4-way splitter OR the additional Gateway portal option.

Thanks so much for these suggestions!

0 Kudos

Funny they didn’t just send you a portal, based on your c...

rstra
Grand Master

Funny they didn’t just send you a portal, based on your current equipmentt. You can have a maximum number of six portal. Shaw could send a technician, but, for the most part, they won’t go inside, but can walk you through the connections.

You may need to use a 4-way splitter with the "extra" leg...

Nighthawk6
Grasshopper

You may need to use a 4-way splitter with the "extra" leg going to your DCX3510.

TALK TO US
We're here to help