Entering a new SSID/password into a BlueCurve XiOne?

abdba
Grasshopper

I upgraded to the XB8 and BlueCurve XiOne (from a XB6 + router + Gateway HDPVR).

When I added the XiOne boxes, I connected them via ethernet - they were never on WiFi.  But I notice that if I pull the cable out, it automatically does a fallback to WiFi.  The SSID and password must have been pushed to them from the BlueCurve Home mobile app (I guess) since I never entered it on the TV boxes.

The XB8 internet has been flakey since I have about 65 devices connected to it.  Telephone support has been not too helpful but did mention an idea that I already had: going back to my own router.

I actually tested earlier that it would work: instead of putting the XB8 into bridge mode I simply disabled wifi, then hooked an old-router up behind it (yes, I know daisy-chaining or double-NAT is not recommended - it was just temporary for a proof of concept).  The XiOne box worked fine when connected into the old personal router.  But it was ethernet hard-wired and I've since reverted this test configuration.

So my question is: if I were to put the XiOne boxes behind my own router with the XB8 in bridge mode, and wanted to be able to fallback to WiFi with them, how would I enter the SSID/password?  Would it eventually prompt me (it seems to take forever at previous points when the internet generally wasn't working)?

(Hoping somebody "knows" the answer so I don't have to re-build the test setup while I'm contemplating whether I truly want to go this route and purchase an upgraded home router.)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies

It seems that the answer is that after a timeout on waiti...

abdba
Grasshopper

It seems that the answer is that after a timeout on waiting for ethernet, it prompts you to join a WiFi, asks for the password, etc (normal stuff).  Just interesting that doesn't have to be done manually if connected to a Shaw Gateway.

0 Kudos

And this explains how it gets the SSID and password in th...

abdba
Grasshopper

And this explains how it gets the SSID and password in the first place: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Ignite-TV/Do-we-need-a-wifi-connection-once-we-are-hardwired-i...

FYI

0 Kudos